Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Keeping Mice out of your RV

I have read a lot of post about of to get rid of mice once there in your RV. But has anyone use the product called 'Mouse Free'? It's a spray on that you apply to the undercarriage of your MH or trailer that will keep the mice and ants from entering in the first place. Just wonder if any of the members here have tried it and what comments they may have about it.
Just purchased a MH and would like to protect it from Mice. Had a travel trailer that was the host to all the local mice around. I did the poison bait and dryer sheet method, mice still came to visit. Any suggestions would be great, just want to find a way to stop them before they enter.

snowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
I have delt with mice in my 5th wheel we tried dryer sheets and traps that did not prevent them from coming in. After we bought our coach and we built a pole barn I knew I had to prevent them from getting in since we live in the woods. Here is what I did and it has been three years no mice knock on wood:

I still put bounce sheets in all my compartments below, it makes them smell nice so why not but I put those plug in mouse noise makers in three locations in the coach I then purchased one of them that is large with two speakers for the pole barn that was around $30. It sends this noise all over the pole barn and to this day no sign of mice in the barn I know this because I keep traps with food and decon as a back up to tell me.

If you have no power for the plug in then take moth balls and put them in a old nylon and hang them over your tires which would be your entry point, they do work plus bounce sheets and traps. I looked into the spray stuff and went the other way so I don't know if it works.

Good luck and let us know if you do buy the spray stuff if it works.

2005 Country Coach Allure 37ft Tag
Toad 2014 Rubicon Jeep
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

This was posted in a recent thread from the 20th on the class a forum, no first hand experience posted yet, but there was another good suggestion where PVC pipe was load around the coach with brown mouse bait laid inside, theory that the mice snag the bait before they get to the Rv. Not sure if a google search has any reviews. Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe a full time cat?

If you go the cat route.........just make sure the cat does not like mice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat-and-mouse 1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	69005  
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Last year, we spent money on those evergreen smelling sacs you put in the rv....it didn't work. We had mice inside and I think they actually liked the smell!! This past winter, we tried the moth balls on the ground around the tires. This worked...I really like the nylon idea though. We recently purchased the plug ins but haven't used them yet.
Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Thanks, I am going to purchase the spray on material and spray it this November. Will let you all know if it works come spring time.
snowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
Would love to hear if the spray works. Is it available on Amazon? I read up on a lot of other stuff on there, and ended up not buying any of it. I will try the mothballs!
Having a cabover lasted less than a year. Now "moving into" a 2003 Fleetwood Jamboree GT.
DallasOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
We purchased a plug in noisemaker that works through the coach wiring. Seems to be working. No more sign of mice. The unit is the size of a pack of cigs.
Janet and Todd Legg
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put a little ring of steel wool around the AC cord where it enters the compartment to seal it so the little suckers don't climb up the cord and squeeze in there.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone try this?

We had mice in our motorhome last winter for the first time in 40+ years! I heard that we should sprinkle black pepper on the carpet......or peppermint extract. Anyone tried this???
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
We live in a ranching community in southern Tx, south of San Antonio. We were constantly plagued by field mice and other rodents. Yes, the peppermint does work. It irritates their eyes and mucus membranes. We tried the mothball trick in the garage with the hot rods, worked great on the mice and us too. After working in the garage for a few days, we developed horrible coughs from inhaling the vapors. Another trick we learned was to get a rose spray applicator bottle that attaches to the hose. After treating all the roses, fill the bottle with cheap Dollar Store lemon dishwashing liquid. Then make a big soapy mess on both the front and back lawns, it won't hurt your grass or plants. It really took care of our flea, ant, and bug problem, and rodents hate it too.
1999 Coachmen 195RK, 21', Ford E350, Triton V10
LakotaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
I've been using the Mouse Free for a few months, I spray it around the outside of the RV every few days and haven't seen any mice, but don't know if its the spray that does the trick or if they're just not around as much this year. I also use DOWNY dryer sheets and electronic plug ins. Like that steel wool idea.
abbyarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Never had this problem. But if I did rat poison and ordinary mouse traps work wonders. I have had mice problems in my house and these make my pest problems vanish into thin air.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
After spending $1500 to repair my 5th wheel that had been setting in my pasture. Well, lets say not happy with the rodents. My research has led me to the following. Rodents are allergic to pure peppermint oil must use weekly put on cotton balls in various places. The repair shop told me the best thing to use were the electronic high pitch sound makers. I bought a 2014 Class A installed the electronic sound maker and the electronic offense that sends out different frequencies through your wiring. No more problems, use the electronic offense in the house and garage. No more mice in the house or dog food. DW says she can here the high pitch, but not the electronic offense. So no high pitch in the house.

Michael Coke is offline   Reply With Quote