RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #1

Kodiak brake issues.

More specifically, the seized caliper issue, and "potential" recall.
Had never heard of this, nore suspected it with our Seneca. But, near Birmingham, Al. near Bessemer, we pulled in, to park for the night. Everything seemed fine, until we left the cab, and got about halfway through the coach and were met by the unmistakable smell of burned brakes. Jumped out and got to the driver's-side rear wheels. Things were pretty ht!
Started looking for a place to get it fixed. Found one in Bessemer. Called our son, Lance, in Vt and he got in touch with this page. Sent me a copy of a7 page thread on this problem, from 2008-2009. I've read through it, and found it informative, but, unless I just plain missed it, I never found any info on who to call to - 1: Find out if I'm the owner of record for this 2008 Kodiak, and-2: Find out if I'm eligible for coverage on any recall. This truck has 27000 miles on it. It turned 9000 miles when I pulled it out of an RV dealers yard in early Dec, 2016. It sat most of its life, till then, parked somewhere in th RGV.
I climb out, at every stop, and check all my tires and hubs for heat, with my fingers. It's saved a lot of hassle, over the years, as has my habit of maintaining a minimum 5 second interval. I probably count those seconds, in my head, several-hundred times a day. I've used 3 of those 5 seconds on many an occasion, and marvel that I don't see a lot more wrecks caused by drivers, especially truckers, who choose to tailgate.
Anyhow, it was an (almost) complete surprise, that a caliper chose, to drag and overheat when it did, as we were something like 1600 miles from home, on our way to Brownsville, and were driving about the same 400+ miles/day
, every day. One would think that this would more likely happen the first day out, having sat, idle, most of the Summer. The (almost) surprising thing about this, is, that 2 days before, the ABS light came on. No stopping, for miles, before I could exit I81, and when I did, there were no hot brakes, or no indicators of which sensor could be the culprit.
The trailer brakes are always working, always hooked up, and have always been noticeably effective.
The up-shot of the service facility stay? Twenty-seven-hundred-and-forty-seven dollars! For a new caliper, new flex-hoses for both sides, new bearing, new seal ($80.00!), fluid flush, and rear-end oil change. Get this; they "turned" the old disk! How the heck does a disk get that hot without [not] ruining the temper?
Then, there's the 5 nights of living in a fiea-bag motel, and meals. Ate up over 3 grand, total.
So, that's my story. Any and all info on what path to take for the other 3 corners, and who to call for contacts with Kodiak-WH - GM people will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
DW

Dick Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your post is a little hard to read, but the bottom line, it looks like you're asking two questions. Is there a recall? What to do with the other three wheels.

Simply take your VIN to a GM dealer and have them run it for you. If there is a recall, they will have it. It may or may not still be active. Active meaning they'll fix it, or inactive, which means you're on your own.

It sounds like you're kind of surprised that an 11 year old truck would need it's brakes serviced. If it were me, I would have all four wheels (brakes) serviced. I would also look at replacing any rubber hosing and then flush the entire system.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply.
Both flex hoses (rubber) on the rear were replaced. The system was flushed with five quarts of fluid, supplied by the local (Bessemer, Al) dealer. The other 3 calipers look brand new, with only 27000 miles on them, however, I fully intend to replace them, and the front flex hoses, either through the recall, or on my own.
The potential recall on Workhorse brakes became known to me, when my son sent me a 7 page copy of a thread on that subject, which appeared in irv2 in 2009. That thread, and the link therein lead me to join this page.
Thanks again. DW
Dick Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake