Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

Lazy Daze 1998 26.5

Hello I found a real nice lazy daze at a good price $9500. My only concern is at leaked at one point from a roof vent and now has a section of soft rotted ceiling. The owner says leak has been repaired with roof coating and is no longer an issue. Do you think at this price roof damage is ok to live with or is it somethin to all together avoid. Also the generator has issues but it seems minor. Thanks

Kevin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kevin-

Advice from a former Lazy Daze owner of the same design and vintage: Do not buy this coach.

Underneath the tough aluminum skin, Lazy Daze's are wood. Any rot that is not removed or otherwise made solid will cause continued problems. Plus, the roofs are not meant to be coated- sealed at the joints, yes, but not coated.

A 1998 Lazy Daze 26.5 mid-bath would normally sell for something around $18,000. There's a reason why the owner wants to sell it for a little over half that- he's looking for someone else to take a problem off his hands.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

The owner got it from his dad who has owned it for 16 years. The seller really seems like a stand up guy just not big into rvs. He understands that a solid roof would get a lot more cash. If I get a good deal such as $8 would that not make up for the roof issues. Rv was in a huge Florida rain last week while he was camping and got no water inside rig?? Thanks for the response.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
A 1998 Lazy Daze 26.5 mid-bath would normally sell for something around $18,000. There's a reason why the owner wants to sell it for a little over half that- he's looking for someone else to take a problem off his hands.
I'll second this quoted observation that a '98 LD 26.5 MB should have an average selling price of about $18,000. If you think you want to go forward, I find a qualified person to conduct a complete inspection of this RV and especially the area of the previous mentioned leak. If that area was damaged, it could have seriously compromised a very important part of the roof's structure and it might have mold. Please note that not many RV service centers are able to properly repair this kind of problem on a Lazy Daze. And it could be prohibitively expense. If it were me, I'd keep looking and pass on this one.

Best of luck.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
whipskipper-

Yeah, what Ed ("traxless") said- and with his more positive tone.

i do apologize for my harsh reply. As I thought about it, your original post had enough information to infer that the current owner had not withheld information on the coach's shortcomings, and had priced the rig accordingly. Your subsequent post confirmed that. My post impugned the motives of the owner, without evidence, and for that I'm sorry.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read up on Lazy Dazes at these links:

The Lazy Daze Companion
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Techsnoz/conversations/messages
Travels with Andy

If you want to read what one owner did to remove rot from his LD, start here and read the subsequent blog entries:

The Odd Essay: MAJOR OVERHAUL....

Our Lazy Daze was a 1997. It had a common LD problem when we bought it in 2012- the corner posts (directly behind the driver and passenger doors) were broken around the screw heads and the posts had started to separate from the aluminum skin. It required a trusted auto body shop, parts from the factory and a couple of thousand dollars to fix. So keep in mind that some of the money you're not spending on the purchase can go into repairs like that, or new tires or batteries, or whatever.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
whipskipper-

Yeah, what Ed ("traxless") said- and with his more positive tone.

i do apologize for my harsh reply. As I thought about it, your original post had enough information to infer that the current owner had not withheld information on the coach's shortcomings, and had priced the rig accordingly. Your subsequent post confirmed that. My post impugned the motives of the owner, without evidence, and for that I'm sorry.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read up on Lazy Dazes at these links:

The Lazy Daze Companion
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Techsnoz/conversations/messages
Travels with Andy

If you want to read what one owner did to remove rot from his LD, start here and read the subsequent blog entries:

The Odd Essay: MAJOR OVERHAUL....

Our Lazy Daze was a 1997. It had a common LD problem when we bought it in 2012- the corner posts (directly behind the driver and passenger doors) were broken around the screw heads and the posts had started to separate from the aluminum skin. It required a trusted auto body shop, parts from the factory and a couple of thousand dollars to fix. So keep in mind that some of the money you're not spending on the purchase can go into repairs like that, or new tires or batteries, or whatever.
Thanks for the info. Still doing some research. It does have all new brakes tires and batteries installed last year. I had a coachmen Class C several years ago. I started getting water in the from bunk area. I cleaned it very well and applied liquid roof EPDM coating and it looked good as new lasted me several years. Not sure why doing the same to this Lazy Daze and keep on rolling would hurt anything. You guys think once the rot is inside it will keep growing even if you stopped the leak? I really appreciate all your advice. By the way the Model is 1998 26.5 RB I think he would take $8K for the coach. The interior is very nice also just that one 3 ft soft slightly sagging area around the center vent is what I see.

Kevin
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #7

Kevin, I have just finished rehabbing a 1992 Lazy Daze with rot in the back wall. The process I followed:
- remove inner and outer skins as needed to get all the rot exposed
- cut out all rot till good wood is all that is left
- dry thoroughly
- spray a boric acid solution to kill any fungus spores
- dry thoroughly
- treat all wood near the rot with Git Rot epoxy
- cut and fit new frame wood, glue in place and fill gaps with 3M 5200 and epoxy
- cure
- re-skin inner and outer walls
- seal exterior skin per factory specs

I did all this because rot never stops growing, and sealing it in makes it grow better. It is a fungus that thrives in dark and damp conditions. In the LD all structural integrity depends on the wood frame between the walls. The screws that hold the LD together will end up rusted off and surrounded by mushy powder that used to be wood.

In certain circumstances I would not be put off by that price, but then I bought mine as a restoration project, so my labor is not a cost, it is a benefit. Just be sure if you do the work you are documenting it and will be proud to share it with a prospective buyer, that way you will be likely to get your money out of it. You will never get the time monetized. All that presupposes the chassis, engine and transmission are in good order, with low miles, but used on a regular basis.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Have you been on the roof ? The ceiling is sagging, is there an issue on the exterior ?
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a used Lazy Daze with Roof leak

I believe it's a done deal
Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Nice catch
I now remember seeing that thread "over there", but I had stopped checking it a while back, and didn't realize it was the same RV as the one here.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Yes, he also joined up the LD Yahoo group. So he went in with both eyes open. It's good that he asked on the forums.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
It's good that he asked on the forums.

I was thinking the same thing. It could turn out to be a good deal, but I'd certainly dig into that ceiling to find out how bad the damage is, and not just put a band aid cosmetic fix on it.
I bought a MH in June 2014 (my 31C) with a quite obvious cabover leak issue. It's as good (or better?) than new now, but I still haven't sold the foolish thing yet.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

Hello all an update yes I ended up purchasing the rig for $6600.00 I have been working on it all week checking things out. All systems work great. It came with new brakes new tires and new batteries. 5 extra 30 amp power cords and a complete tow bar set up with a brake thing that sits in towed car. The roof is soft yes. As for now I am going to enjoy as is not ready to start a complete roof rebuild. If I get a few years out of it as is I will be happy. Lazy daze said I could bring it to the factory and have roof replaced but not sure if I want to invest that amount of money. I will just see how it goes.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #14

good price!

It occurs to me, walking on top of an LD is different. The aluminum skin is not attached to the wood framework, and is backed by very thin luan. When you step in between frame members there is a certain amount of give. Is there any evidence of water damage inside? If you want to know you can remove the interior frames of ceiling vents and inspect the wood there, remove any screws and inspect for heavy rust. I'm hoping your lucky with this, but at that price, I would not feel bad about investing some money in a fix.

happy travels