Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Leaky water line?

In an outside storage compartment of my 2000 Gulfstream Yellowstone 24' Class C, I am detecting moisture and sometimes a pretty wet carpet that lines the compartment. I can't find the source of the leak. It must be a slow leak. One possibility is from a water line coming to or from a bathroom sink, which is the closest source of water nearest the compartment. I'd love to pull one of the water lines from the sink just to check for a leak, but I sure don't know how to do that without tearing apart a cabinet and/or wall, which I don't want to do. Any thoughts about tracking down a leak like I've described? Or do I have to live with it until it gets worse?

Siebrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
One trick is to get things thoroughly dry and spray the area with talcum powder, better if you can add some food coloring to the water, where it leaks will become apparent. The other method is pressurize with compressed air (you may be able to hear it), and spray diluted dish soap on joints etc. If it is the waterline and not the drain, you can with effort pressurize the drain by plugging openings but rememer it is not designed for much more than atmospheric pressure. Good luck.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Really can't recommend letting it go, water does nasty things and only makes the problem and repairs worse.

Have you verified that it is on the pressure and not drain lines? When not hooked to city water does your water pump cycle on and off when all faucets are off - no water use? If on the pressure side it is generally a threaded connection (at water facets, water pump, city connection) that transitions from the PEX plumbing. The transition points should be within reach (sometimes standing on your head though). If not a transition point or drain line, possibly a cracked PEX line (have you had any cold weather without draining the lines?). If nothing is obvious, dry everything out then re-pressurize and see if/where water appears.
My interior water problems with a '97 GS was the city water connection to the PEX lines, and then of course exterior leaks doing a strange run around and showing up is strange interior areas.

Hope this is of some help, good luck!
Greg and Karen, the pups Bailey and Lily (St. Bernard mix and Beagle mix) and Lola (the attack cat)
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Does the leak only appear when you have water pressure on the MH? That would let you know if it was a supply side or drain side leak.
Chuck & Chopper (the fuzzy 1)
2003 DSDP w/ 2012 F150 4x4 that wants to be a Jeep.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm getting ready to leave PEI/snow/ice/cold and head south where I can try some of these suggestions. If I'm successful, I'll give you a report.
Siebrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
I have had three different water leaks in my R.V.
1. The first one was in back of my water heater where the cool water enter the heater.
2. The second one was in back of my toilet where the spray hose connected to the toilet.
3. The thired one was under the sink in the Bath Room just where the water hose connected to the faucet under the clamp the line had a crack in it.
I turned off all the incoming water and the water pump then after I dryed the area I laid down white towels and then turned the water on again.
It didnot take to long to fine out where it was coming from.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
I had a pesky water leak in my Coachmen. I even went so far as to remove the water tank under the bed. The leak would have water under the carpet in the bedroom then the next trip I would see water running across the floor of the kitchen. The way I found the leak was to remove all inspection panel at once and repressurize the system. The leak was the gasket behind the shower faucets ,one was put in cocked. This process took a total of two months. My advice is to remove all of the inspection ports first.
When the coach is built the floor in put in first, then the sides and interior. In the bathroom and the kitchen linoleum is run completely under all parts in the bathroom including sinks ,toilets and tubs.
2003coachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Disconnect from shore water - turn on the water pump - read a book. If you don't hear the water pump cycle after the first chapter then it's not a leak in the FW lines. If it's not the FW lines then consider having the rig pressure tested - CW charges less than $100 and it will take all the ambiguity out of the issue.

ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote