Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 12:56 AM   #15

Showkey - run on 12 volts most vehicles are charging while on the road.
Refrigerator manufactures will break down losses while not being powered, you should easily go 8 hours if the doors are not being opened.

Twinboat -
This is the best I can find for now.

Fire Safety
2011 HDT Rally
Jack Mayer
Fire Suppression Section: Jack and Danielle Mayer

Difficult to identify good data
• About 10,000 RV fires per year.
(6500-20,000 reported range)
• About HALF of the fires are while parked. (RV Alliance
America)
• 70% start in engine
compartments.
• 20% are tire or brake fires. And
these are usually undetected
until too late.
• 25% of RV fires are in the 12-
volt electrical system. (National Interstate)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #16

Good data must be hard to find.

Yours adds up to 115%

Nothing about leaving propane tank on ?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
HAVE not seen many refers that have the 12volt option except the very small ones. If I leave the refer off about anytime I might as well stop at the grocery store, my ice cream will have gone bad.Yes the last was tongue in cheek.

LEN
Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post

My manuals all say not to run the LP appliances while in motion.

Common sense says that most of these appliances when operating are vented to the out side, the possibility of extinguishing the flame is likely.

Hope this helps.
This would eliminate the ability to run the furnace in cold weather to keep lines and tanks from freezing and warm the rear end of the MH. We run furnace when necessary.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Only problem with a C and propane Gen is amount of fuel used by Gen. Check how many gallons of propane on board, figure about 1/2 gallon per run hour. Plan on filling before the camping site.

LEN

You're thinking about gasoline. Propane only has 75% of the BTU's of gasoline per gallon. A typical 4K Onan that would burn 0.5 gal. / hour on gasoline will burn 0.66 gal. / hour on propane.

While this doesn't sound like much of a difference at first, running the numbers makes a big difference.

A typical Class C has about 16 gallons of propane, so about 24 hours of generator use before needing a refill.

That same typical Class C likely has a 55 gallon gas tank. So going down the road at 65 mph and getting 8 MPG, that's about 8 gal. / hour for the chassis, 8.5 with the generator running.

In my case that would be a difference of 12 gallons of gasoline on an entire trip from Toronto to south Florida, versus an entire tank of propane.

That's quite a difference to me, in both cost and PITA.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #20

Twinboat - You asked for stats, not my fault the author can't add(tongue in cheek).
I'm sure the author was more focused on impressing us with the dangers of fire while RVing.
I am still looking for some authoritive data regarding LP fires, there are many anecdotal stories about LP fires, my experience is that those reports are dismissed.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #21

Olyen - Dometic & Norcold make 3 way refrigerators
120v AC, 12v DC, & LP
Each allow you to choose which source to use plus an automatic mode.
I have had both and they work well choosing the source without my input.
Examples: if I start the engine it switches to 12v DC, this is the only time that I let it run on 12v, reasons this is the least efficient, it also draws about 3 amps, my batteries wouldn't last long at that draw. I don't often open the ref. door while driving so it maintains temp. When parked off grid (120v) it switches to LP the most efficient source off cooling. If on grid (120v AC) it switches to this source. I have lost a Fudge bar yet must be working.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #22

Murf2u - All good points
I'm not sure I could handle 8.5mpg, or 55 gal. of fuel on board.
We live in Alaska traveling to the lower 48 in our Navion IQ averaging 16 to 18 mpg depending on the lead foot at the wheel. Our tank only holds 25 gal. of Diesel,
as it is I have sticker shock when filling up. Navion only has 13 gal. of LP if we run the generator as you have stated we would be out of fuel in short order.
I think my next Navion I may spring for the Diesel gen.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #23

At $20k to $30k extra for the Diesel engine the extra I pay at the pump doesn't hurt at all.

I'm getting ready to head out, currently gas is around $1.80 / gallon, so it costs me about ($1.80 / 8.5 miles) $0.21 / mile.

Diesel is around $2.20 / gallon so it costs you ($2.20 / 17 miles) $013 / mile or $0.08 / mile less.

It's 3,000 miles round trip to Florida so you'd save $240 in fuel.

I doubt I'll drive to Florida 80+ times to pay for the Diesel engine.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayserc View Post
Owners of units with LP generators:

I have owned 3 gasoline MH's and often ran with gasoline-fed generator running to power house A/C. I am considering purchase of a smaller Class C unit that has a LP generator. Is it considered safe to drive with LP tank turned on so that Genie can power A/C? I always made sure LP tank was OFF when driving gas powered units....

tks

Chuck
Many cars have been converted to propane. I would not consider you running the genie while tooling down the road any more unsafe than having a tank full of gasoline for driving your car. If the systems are sound and meet all federal and state regulations you should have nothing to worry about.

I have been on the road for about 10 years and I have never shut off my propane when traveling. I feel safer than being on a Amtrak train or a school bus.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #25

Murf2u - I'm glad you like your toy, it wouldn't make sense to by something that you wouldn't be happy with.

Hope to see you on the road some time. Navion IQ with Alaska plates.
If you're ever in Alaska drop me a private message.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Murf2u - I'm glad you like your toy, it wouldn't make sense to by something that you wouldn't be happy with.

Hope to see you on the road some time. Navion IQ with Alaska plates.
If you're ever in Alaska drop me a private message.

I'm out there all the time, but you'd have to look up to see me. The travel time is much reduced at 225 mph. LOL.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Start by checking your owners manual...

RV fires are common, and a fire in an RV is an absolute life threatening event.

Manuals are written by lawyers and should be taken with a grain of salt. RV fires are not all that common, but it is worth noting that by far, most RV fires are cause by the transmission. Typically the trans will overheat, fluid boils out, gets on the exhaust and catches fire. your LP appliances are designed to operate while driving, as they are well protected from the wind. One is under no more danger running appliances while driving than when still.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #28

If he is running the Gen. NO NEED for the fridge to run on propane.
Auto switch on fridge should switch from gas to electric on its own.

I think some worry too much.

2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator