Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
If he is running the Gen. NO NEED for the fridge to run on propane.
Auto switch on fridge should switch from gas to electric on its own.

I think some worry too much.

The OP was asking about running the propane generator to power the A/C, he never mentioned the fridge.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #30

Well if your going to run the A/C you might as well run the fridge on electric also. Like I posted it will switch over if on auto. Waste of propane on fridge if you have electric.

2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #31

I wonder, Is it more effecent to run on propane or electric, produced by a propane generator.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #32

If you're wondering about a frig, they'll go weeks (months?) on a tank of propane. The genny, even without a load, hasn't a chance of running that long.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #33

Yes I understand that but the above senero has the generator running for the AC anyway.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #34

Oops, my bad. Thinking you'd struggle measuring the amount of propane burned by the refer in a day. At the same time, the load on the genny next to nothing unless kids were fanning the refer doors all day. It's only going to be pulling power when the 'stat tells it to.

Bottom line, refer not much of a draw no matter the power source. I wouldn't consider the propane vs. elec. operation to be much of an issue either way. That's me though. Not into splitting hairs.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #35

Leaving LP Generator ON while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I wonder, Is it more effecent to run on propane or electric, produced by a propane generator.

A typical 12 cu. ft. RV fridge uses ~2,400 BTU / hour while its cycling, it certainly doesn't run non-stop. A gallon of propane contains ~91,500 BTU's. Therefore 1 gallon of propane would run the fridge for approx. 38 hours.

A typical 4K propane generator will consume ~0.66 gallons of propane per hour.

Powering the fridge off a generator would then take a little over 25 times the propane even if the fridge element burned 24/7.

In the end though, unless you're driving in extremely hot weather, a smaller Class C will stay plenty cool with nothing but the dash A/C, it's far more powerful than any rooftop unit, it just has a smaller lower volume fan. Just set the dash vents to point straight down the back, fan on high and open the rearmost roof vent. The combination of the hot air being vacuumed out off the ceiling and the cold air being pulled to the back makes the back of the coach almost as cool as the front.

BTW, doing the same thing with the heat in the winter works the same, the back stays much warmer.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
A typical 12 cu. ft. RV fridge uses ~2,400 BTU / hour while its cycling, it certainly doesn't run non-stop. A gallon of propane contains ~91,500 BTU's. Therefore 1 gallon of propane would run the fridge for approx. 38 hours.

A typical 4K propane generator will consume ~0.66 gallons of propane per hour.

Powering the fridge off a generator would then take a little over 25 times the propane even if the fridge element burned 24/7.
The #s quoted is if the generator was just running the fridge.

I proposed the question with the generator already running, primarily for other reasons.

A 2 way fridge will draw 3 to 5 amps 120 volts. How much propane will it take to generate that amount of amps, over and above the energy already being consumed for its primary use.

None of this means anything, just thinking out loud.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #37

Ya, if you were only concerned about the fridge, you could stick it on an inverter and call it good. But as far additional load on the generator, one would be hard pressed to detect it. A good inverter will run everything but the house AC, so unless that is your primary reason for running the genny, I wouldn't bother. The reality is, once we installed an inverter, the generator only gets maybe 10 hours of use per year.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will give you two answers. Yes and NO.

First the NO: Insurance companies say "Turn LP off at the tank" because if you are in an accident and get hit JUST SO. there might be a release of LP and that COULD start a fire..
or it could slam the excess flow valve shut thus preventing a fire.

Now the YES: Have done it, In a Class B, and still do it in a class A (only now it's just to power the fridge and occsionally furnace)

In the case of a fridge I look at it this way.. Many are scared of fridge fires.. So I'm going down the road,, Gas on, Fridge running and disaster happens.. People honk and point I see the smoke pull voer and bail out. The million dollar Plus Prevost next to me sees the smoke and .. Is no longer next to me.

Or.. I get to the FMCA rally. said Prevost is next to me. While we are at the opening cermonies and thus no where near Our rigs the fridge catches fire... Scratch my rig, also the Million dollar Prevost.

Now.. Which bill do you think will make my insurance company LESS happy. Do understand that NO FAULT insurance will not apply, this is full tort, so since my MH set fire to the million dollar rig.....
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Ya, if you were only concerned about the fridge, you could stick it on an inverter and call it good. But as far additional load on the generator, one would be hard pressed to detect it. A good inverter will run everything but the house AC, so unless that is your primary reason for running the genny, I wouldn't bother. The reality is, once we installed an inverter, the generator only gets maybe 10 hours of use per year.
It seems that we are getting a bit here. The OP is seeking safety opinions and data and I see no concern on his part about LP consumption.

As I stated earlier. Run the dang thing while traveling and stay cool if your dash A/C won't do the job.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #40

The only reason we have fridge fires is when the cooling unit bursts, and the Hydrogen gas is released onto the flame. So the fact that one is driving down the road is unrelated to the cause of the fire. The flame does not get blown out or potentially catch other flammable objects on fire. The cooling unit bursting typically due to a clog, which has nothing to do with driving down the road. I can speak from personal experience that most likely, if the cooling unit does burst while driving, you will know it right away. Not only can you hear it happen, but the related smell is significant. Much better to have that happen while driving, rather than when you are asleep.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #41
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our previous coach, and Airstream 345 Turbo Diesel had a propane genset. The dash air was rather weak and we ran the genset and both ACs quite often on the road.

One week we traveled to Chicago for a family affair and ran the genset both ways. I think it only used about 10 gallons of propane the whole trip which was 15 hours round trip. Lot less than I would have expected.

The outside temps were in the high nineties and when I opened the window for a toll booth it would take my breath away.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
The only reason we have fridge fires is when the cooling unit bursts, and the Hydrogen gas is released onto the flame. So the fact that one is driving down the road is unrelated to the cause of the fire. The flame does not get blown out or potentially catch other flammable objects on fire. The cooling unit bursting typically due to a clog, which has nothing to do with driving down the road. I can speak from personal experience that most likely, if the cooling unit does burst while driving, you will know it right away. Not only can you hear it happen, but the related smell is significant. Much better to have that happen while driving, rather than when you are asleep.
How is the "Hydrogen gas" being produced? I thought these units used ammonia as a refrigerant?

I am sorry you had a catastrophic failure of your fridge. Was there much damage to your rig? Coolant coil failures are common. Most often a pin hole will develop that lets the refrigerant escape leaving behind the ammonia smell and a yellow residue around the fail point. That was my experience. Much less dramatic.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator