Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Leprechaun bouncing

I have a 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun 28 footer When driving down the road it bounces a lot. What can I do to help. Would the airbags help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidyes View Post
I have a 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun 28 footer When driving down the road it bounces a lot. What can I do to help. Would the airbags help?
shesaidyes
"Bouncing" of Class C coaches is often/usually caused by the short wheel base and long rear overhang ... (but the wheel base and rear overhang is not something that can be changed).
However redistributing of as much of the load, from the rear farther forward, might improve the ride.
(As might the proper/recommended air pressure in the tires).
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

What tire pressures are you running ? If you have rear air bags, what pressure are they running ?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first thought was "a new Olympic sport?"
Old 08-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Until you can weigh it inflate rear tires to the maximum on the sidewalls. Inflate the front to about 10 pounds under the maximum. When you can get axle weights look at the tire manufactures recommended inflation charts for your weights. Then inflate to what they list, (plus 5 pounds IMO) never exceeding the recommended maximum pressure.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
What can I do to help.
You did not say if you had a Chevy Chassis or a Ford chassis, so I'll tell you about my Chevy.

3 years ago, I bought a 2014 Coachmen Freelander 28QB (no slide) on a Chevy chassis. I found that as I was driving it, the front end would "bounce" up and down on the slightest bump. I call it "porpusing". On several of the local roads near my house, at 30 MPH, the front wheels would actually come off the ground.

Remember, this is the BARE RV with nothing loaded into it and nothing in the huge basement under the bed.

Within weeks, I ordered and installed Bilstein front shocks. The Bilstein shocks TOTALLY stopped the porpusing/bounce movement and made it a joy to drive.

3 months ago, we decided that we wanted a slide and bought a 2013 Coachmen Freelander 29QB. This new to us RV does front end bounce, but less than the previous 2014. I will be adding Bilsteins soon.

Be aware that the more stuff you have behind the rear axle, the more weight is taken off the front axle which will be inclined to bounce more. I think that adding air to the rear air bags will not improve things on the front end.

I bought the Bilsteins from Sumitt Racing for $98 each and installed them myself (3 bolts). I will soon add them to present RV.

I suggest that you add Bilsteins or KYBs or some other high quality after-market shock to the front end.

If you do that, or whatever you do, please let us know what happens.

Tim
Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
What can I do to help.
You did not say if you had a Chevy Chassis or a Ford chassis, so I'll tell you about my Chevy.

3 years ago, I bought a 2014 Coachmen Freelander 28QB (no slide) on a Chevy chassis. The Freelander is almost the same RV as yours.

I found that as I was driving it, the front end would "bounce" up and down on the slightest bump. I call it "porpusing". On several of the local roads near my house, at 30 MPH, the front wheels would actually come off the ground.

Remember, this is the BARE RV with nothing loaded into it and nothing in the huge basement under the bed.

Within weeks, I ordered and installed Bilstein front shocks. The Bilstein shocks TOTALLY stopped the movement and made it a joy to drive.

3 months ago, we decided that we wanted a slide and bought a 2013 Coachmen Freelander 29QB. This new to us RV does front end bounce, but less than the previous 2014, but I will be adding Bilsteins to the front end. I have never added air to the rear air bags of either RV.

Be aware that the more stuff you have behind the rear axle, the more weight is taken off the front axle which will be inclined to bounce more. I think that adding air to the rear air bags will not improve things on the front end.

I bought the Bilsteins from Sumitt Racing for $98 each and installed them myself (3 bolts). I will soon add them to present RV.

I suggest that you add Bilsteins or KYB or some other, stiffer than factory stock, high quality after-market shock to the front end.

If you do that, or whatever you do, please let us know what happens.

Tim
Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #8

What ever chassis you have each tire, (or pair of tires), sound be inflated to the PSI recommenced by the tire manufacturer based on the actual weigh each tire, (or pair of tires), is carrying when the coach is loaded for travel.
Mel
'96 Safari