Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Levelers

most of the used Class Cs that i am seeing have no "levelers" on them. My question is, for those of you that have Class Cs, how often do you need "levelers" in addition to using boards/pads under your wheels in order to level your unit after parking? the ones that have levelers are automatic. Are they worth the cost? thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I used Lynx levelers on my class C. Got good enough at to look at the current position of the rig and and put the appropriate number of levelers under the low corners/sides and normally hit it right the first time.

Current class A has auto levelers, have to admit I am now spoiled. Back in hit a button call it done and level.

The one thing blocks under the wheels doesn't give you is stability, the coach still rocks and wobbles when you walk through it. I had stabilizer jacks on the rear corners. THe jacks helped a bit but not nearly enough.

Seems like levelers front and rear would have corrected the rocking issue on our class C.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

Have had four motorized rigs - 3 Class C's and one Class A. Always used planks for leveling till the current Greyhawk. Had HWH's installed and will not go back. They do add some weight (approx 200 lbs) and do hang down - but no farther than drain pipes or steps or other stuff. I have the "kick down" style and am very happy. Stable and level.
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

great info! much appreciated!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #5

Levelers

My better half complained about the rv moving. I hahve a basement model and did not like crawling under it for jacks. I bought a Bigfoot from Rvupgrade for $1925 delivered. Easy to install. With the walk around remote it is easy to level without working uo a sweat.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Alot of people who have auto levelers do not use the auto feature because they are to aggressive and jerky. We are on our second rig and I hated the auto feature on both. On both rigs the auto feature would lift the rig to high. Manual is quicker and less jerky. Still very simple. When purchasing, make sure they demonstrate the auto level and see how you like it. Some auto levelers are very smooth.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

Hi guys new to this forum and brand new to the world of RVing. I just bought a '78 GMC Class C And I also would like to add some type of leveling system to it.
GMA-n-GPA You mentioned you installed "Kick Down HWH's". Help me out with the manufacturer and the model. I like what you have descibed and would like to check them out for myself.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #9

Crog
HWH makes two models of levelers - standard and kickdown. the Standard ones come straight down - a straight shaft (piston) with a large foot to contact the ground. the Kick-down model is actually "folded" up under the MH. Kinds like the corner jacks on a pop-up camper. When activated the "kick-down" first straightens out (vertical) then extends to the ground to level/stabilize. the advantage is less vertical space above the leveler is needed. Mine only stick down below the frame by 3.5 to 4 inches. Not any further than some of the other "stuff" hanging done. Put 5k miles on last year and have not scraped yet... You can check out the HWH web site, i believe they still have a video of the "kick-down" units in action.
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

Use our HWH jacks all the time.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The HWH kick down levelers that we had in our Class C were wonderful. I actually liked them more than the electric levelers in our A. They are not cheap, but I thought worth every dime.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I have the Bigfoot Auto leveling system in mine and I have to say it has good points and bad points. The best point is that the coach is level without having to back it up on things to make it that way. It stops a great deal of the rocking and rolling. With the touch of two buttons I have taken care of about ten minutes worth of manual labor.
The bad side is that it does tend at times to torque the coach a bit and this can make the side door a bit hard to open but other than that I have no complaints.
Hope this helped.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One good thing about HWH is that their units all work in pairs, so you are not likely to torque the frame. You can only raise left side, right side, front or rear at a time. You cannot move individual jacks.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #14

Thats why I like this Forum. I never thought about frame twist when it comes to levelers.