RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Levelers for my Sprinter Quantum??

Folks, I am new to Class C's having just traded my Class A hog. So, my new Quantum has "stabilizers" which do little or nothing ...I guess they do stabilize to a degree reducing the rocking while parked. I am wondering if I should be looking into hydraulic levelers for the Sprinter chassis. I am wondering how effective they are and if there is an issue with frame racking if on a fairly unlevel surface. Can you folks give me so feedback and advice? Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

There is an aftermarket leveling system available,\. Bigfoot Leveling system, it's electric; hydraulic would be much more expensive to buy and install.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There is an aftermarket leveling system available,\. Bigfoot Leveling system, it's electric; hydraulic would be much more expensive to buy and install.
Do they offer electric? I pulled them up and it says Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling Systems, Quadra Manufacturing. Something like $2000 for the manual and $3000 for the automatic. Pretty pricy. Are they the ones you're referencing?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #4

I would humbly suggest that you carefully check (from the driver's door placard on the specific coach you are interested) the GVWR. It is "almost always" 11,030 lbs for a Sprinter 3500. Then, you need to check the OCCC capacity placard (usually on the passenger door).

Certain Sprinter builds have low OCCC. None have the capacity of a class A. Leveling systems have a weight penalty and reduce the OCCC which maybe on some models limited.

Every pound added to the coach takes a pound out of your carrying capacity. Lynx blocks are a better solution.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
I would humbly suggest that you carefully check (from the driver's door placard on the specific coach you are interested) the GVWR. It is "almost always" 11,030 lbs for a Sprinter 3500. Then, you need to check the OCCC capacity placard (usually on the passenger door).

Certain Sprinter builds have low OCCC. None have the capacity of a class A. Leveling systems have a weight penalty and reduce the OCCC which maybe on some models limited.

Every pound added to the coach takes a pound out of your carrying capacity. Lynx blocks are a better solution.
I'll check the Lynx blocks. Certainly they have to be cheaper.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

The Bigfoot AC-MB4 Central Pump Auto leveling System stated weight is 145 lbs. - Not bad for an auto leveling system?
Price around $3370 + installation.
Their website is a bit confusing as to which system works on which cab chassis makes/models, but I think this info is close to accurate.
http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
I'll check the Lynx blocks. Certainly they have to be cheaper.
I carry two packs of Lynx blocks plus a set of chalks that sit on top of the blocks such that when you drive up they act as the stop. Very handy when you're by yourself. There is also a phone app that you can put on your phone to tell you how far off level you are so you know how many blocks to use.
Not as fast as auto levellers but a whole lot cheaper.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
Do they offer electric? I pulled them up and it says Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling Systems, Quadra Manufacturing. Something like $2000 for the manual and $3000 for the automatic. Pretty pricy. Are they the ones you're referencing?
My bad, I had been looking on rvupgrades.com. I intended to post this link: https://www.bullseyeleveling.com/app...small-chassis/ Apparently you must contact a dealer to obtain a price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Bullseye leveling has a very bad reputation amongst Sprinter owners - most stemming from lots of promises and no deliveries. Google Bullseye and read the Better Business Bureau complaints.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My bad, I had been looking on rvupgrades.com. I intended to post this link: https://www.bullseyeleveling.com/app...small-chassis/ Apparently you must contact a dealer to obtain a price.
Isn't there a thread somewhere about them? Somewhat negative comments by some folks who have used them.
A search for Bigfoot does redirect you to RVUpgrades.com. Must have had some sort of connection at some point, but I think their prices look a little low, maybe outdated, and they don't install, they just ship the kits, as far as I can tell.
EDIT: Like luvlabs said. Beat me to the comment about Bullseye.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #11

We have a 24 foot class C and LYNX blocks work just fine when we need to level. I have buble levels mounted inside the coach that are visible from the driver's seat. I can often get within tolerance just by shifting position a few feet. If not, we just get out the blocks. You will learn pretty quickly how many blocks you need and where to place them.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #12

I agree with those that say you lose weight capacity #150 by installing leveling jacks. I made the choice to install Equalizer Systems manual leveling system in my Citation. $2400 installed. I hated the rocking sensation moved around. Sure is easier, dryer and faster on set up. Well worth the weight loss to me.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
I agree with those that say you lose weight capacity #150 by installing leveling jacks. I made the choice to install Equalizer Systems manual leveling system in my Citation. $2400 installed. I hated the rocking sensation moved around. Sure is easier, dryer and faster on set up. Well worth the weight loss to me.
"Equalizer Systems" levelers?? Did you install yourself? And the weight was on about $150 lbs? That sounds pretty good to me. Did you worry about frame torque or anything lie that and is your Citation on Sprinter chassis? I'm very interested because it seems the blocks, while inexpensive and effective, might be some trouble to install and level the coach. At $2400 yours are a bit pricy but sounds like pretty easy. I'll check it out.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Racking your coach should not be an issue. The jacks work in pairs only; i.e., both fronts, both rears, both rights or both lefts.

You will find, I believe, that you will lower your jacks and put just a little load on them even when you are camped on a level surface ......... adds a TON of stability. Most folks do this ...... but not at a WalMart (can dent their asphalt.)

Leveling jacks were on my "req'd" list when I was shopping for my used rig; but, many RVers say they'll skip the jacks and use blocks (and buy fuel with the savings) .......... they have a valid argument, methinks. While shopping, I did contact HWH re the possibility of an after-purchase install there in Iowa and IIRC they quoted about $4K out the door and I would take about a 180 lb "hit" to my OCCC. It seems to me that a lot more Forum folks are going for the Big Foot brand nowadays, though.

Good luck with your project, and safe travels.

youracman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers