Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used blocks even on our 29' Type C MH. When we went to the '35' Type A it came with HWH jacks as have the last two Dutch Star diesel pushers. HWH maks most of the systems on the diesel pushers too.
I cut a 2 X 10 into three pieces with the first one being the longest and the next two successively shorter, beveled the front edge to make it easier to drive up on and glued/screwed them together. Just be sure to use blocks under ALL the tires, not just the outside or inside dual. The tires must be supported across all the tread width and both tires also.
Jacks are so much easier though

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
Thanks to you all. You've set my mind (mostly) at ease regarding the PITA factor that would come with manually leveling a smaller motorhome. Still not sure it's my preference, but seems pretty do-able.

Stupid Newbie Question: If the back of the coach has double tires on each side I am making the assumption that I need blocks or Lynx Levelers under each individual tire?
always one under each tire to evenly support the load. you do not want one tire of the dualy supported and the other not. that transfers all the load of that side to one tire. not good ffor longivity of the tire.

Bart Anderson

Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #17

Leveling a Small Class C

I've been RVing for 45 years, pop-ups, TTs, 5w, Class A, Pick-up campers and now a 23 ft. Born Free Class C. I've had some experience with leveling. You should have no problem whatsoever leveling a 23 ft. Class C. Years ago, strict attention to levelling was primarily to prevent damage to your RV fridge by operating off level for any length of time. Today's more modern RV fridges do not require absolute level for safe operation. The rule of thumb now is "level enough to be comfortable to occupy". In all my years I've used 2x12s and 2x4s and Lynx type levellers without problem or incident and without damage to my fridge. With your 23 ft all you should need is a couple of sets of Lynx type levellers. Strategically placed levelling bubbles are also an excellent idea. The whole process should take you no more than 10 minutes. The more times you setup, the better you will get in judging your levelling requirements, if any. Don't waste your money on high dollar systems for your 23 ft rig, they are not needed.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If the back of the coach has double tires on each side I am making the assumption that I need blocks or Lynx Levelers under each individual tire?
I hav a small class C and yes, I use two rows on Lynx Levelers under my rear dual wheels. I really should buy a second set of Lynx Levelers but have not yet.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Hi Folks!

My wife and I are total newbies. We don't even own our first RV yet. We've been looking semi-seriously for about a year, and have gotten really serious since January of this year. We're all over the place right now but are slowly, slowly narrowing our options for our first RV. My wife is a big advocate of our first rig being small and manageable. To that end she is sort of in love with the Thor Four Winds 23U. Everything we've looked at prior to this has been at least 28-29 feet and come with automatic leveling jacks. The Four Winds is too small for jacks. I guess my question (and please take pity on the newbie here) is whether or not leveling with blocks/chucks is a major pain-in-the-rear when camping with something of that size? I have ZERO perspective here.

Thanks for the info!
Hello! My husband and I are sorta newbies, 3 years, and loving it! We bought a 29' jayco, and have no problem using our leveler blocks, I watch as he drives on them. Just make sure you have a level to check. Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Thanks to all! You've truly set my mind at ease if we end up with the little guy!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #21

leveling small C

Quote:
Thanks to you all. You've set my mind (mostly) at ease regarding the PITA factor that would come with manually leveling a smaller motorhome. Still not sure it's my preference, but seems pretty do-able.

Stupid Newbie Question: If the back of the coach has double tires on each side I am making the assumption that I need blocks or Lynx Levelers under each individual tire?
Yes, you definitely want blocks under both tires of a dually.

When we had one, we liked the Lynks blocks. Flexible, tough, and easy to use. Got to where we could level in less than 5 minutes.

G L Arnold
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a small class C but would suggest you consider the Winnebago Vista 26 HE.

Winnebago Motorhomes - 2013 Vista

In addition to a much higher quality coach, it comes standard with levelers.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'll also recommend blocks instead of high dollar leveling systems.
As said before, after a little practice, you'll get pretty good at it.
I have tried the Lynx blocks and regular old 2x8, 2x10 boards about 18 inches long.
I prefer to use the wood, the lynx blocks work pretty good if you are on a paved surface, and only need to come up a little bit, I've never had any luck with them on an unpaved surface, and they are fairly easy to break. They came with the MH, I would never actually buy a set of them myself.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I have a small class C but would suggest you consider the Winnebago Vista 26 HE.

Winnebago Motorhomes - 2013 Vista

In addition to a much higher quality coach, it comes standard with levelers.
You know, we talked about the Vista. We had looked at the Thor ACE 27.1 model as a class-C-sized-class-A and noticed at the time that our Camping World had a 26HE on their lot. Eye catching and interesting. And hard to beat at the price.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #25

I have never owned an automatic level system - don't see much of a need for one. I tend to Camp in Oregon State Parks which have pretty level sites. More often than not I find a spot that is level and don't use anything - on occasion I might have to put a board or two down but that's an exception and take a couple minutes - no big deal.

As far as leveling your rig for the fridge -- if it's comfortable enough for you it's definitely within specs of the fridge mfg (you can do the calc by looking up the number of degrees specified by the mfg and use you wheel base and internet calculator - in my rig it was something like 8 inches).
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with okmunky about the class A. More room and the view thru the windshield, moving or parked, is so much nicer.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #27

Carolina Campers
We have a 31 ft Class C and are relative newbies as well. I will say you are wise to consider the levelling issue. That being said, you can see by the responses that with practice, "levelling" is not a big deal. Currently we use 2x10s cut at 4ft and 2ft in conjunction with these Camco Trilevelers if necessary.

We do level all 4 tires if the rear of the RV needs raising. We also use a leveling app on our phones to help. This works ok but, we soon will purchase these from Camco to fine tune our leveling.

We discussed installing the Bigfoot auto leveling system at purchase but decided to wait till we deemed it more necessary. At some point in our RV lifetime, I expect we will go with an auto leveling system. My advice to you right now is start with the least cost levelling alternative you can and work from that point. Enjoy the fun!!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks to all! You've truly set my mind at ease if we end up with the little guy!
We had just bought our new to us MH 31' last year. We did the 2 x 12 block thing last year and hated it. Granted we have 2 little kids that like to jump around and the wife hates it when the camper sways side to side when I roll over in the cab over bunk.(maybe I do need to loose some weight) So this winter we put the cheap version of the bigfoots on, ez levelers w/ remote. They whole system only weighs around 200 lbs and I can level my MH in less than 30 seconds. If you pull a second vehicle along for site seeing and such I think blocks would be an easy and cheap way to go as long as you don't mind being on the MH frames suspension, but if you plan on using your MH as a site seeing vehicle during the day than levelers are the way to go. It use to take me by myself about 10 minutes of jocking around when we left and when we came back to level the MH again. Less messing around and an a solid camper at night=a happy wife; easily the best $3,400 spent on the camper so far.

Tags
leveling