Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
My concern with adding on a leveling system is that the Four Winds my wife likes is only 23-24 feet long. I'm a little (OK a lot) worried that adding a system after purchase is a terrible idea because of the weight of the leveling system.
Leveling seems like a pain in the butt but I clearly realize I'm speculating as someone who has never owned/operated any size RV. I guess I'm sort of hoping that someone will chime in and tell me: "Nah! Leveling a 23 footer is no problem!" But I'm with Neal above - sounds like a pain to me.
We just downsized from a 38' diesel pusher to a 24' Class C. The pusher had automatic levelers and they generally worked well, but a slope that might require 3" of leveling with a small unit is amplified over the length of 38', and often when on a slope I still had to put blocks under the jacks.

To make leveling simpler, get a pair of bubble levelers that indicate the slope and show you how far you need to raise to come level. I've found that I can quickly get to within half a bubble without any problem. With a smaller C, weight IS a problem, so to save weight you may want to consider the plastic leveling blocks rather than nail up your own.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #30

I'm getting a 26'-27' C class and I a leveling system is top on my list! I like the idea of stablity with the jacks down. And as I plan on pulling a fishing boat it will make breaking camp/setting up camp to launch the boat that much easier.

Cheers,

George
Grmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #31

I don't, I have a 27' with no electric levelling device. Buy plastic block levelers from wal-mart and get yourself a level. You'll be fine
Mantelli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We had a 29' c for about 18 months. Did 17000 miles during that time with one cross country trip. Leveling at night or in the rain is a pain. Also your site determines how much you have to do. Been in some sites where I used every block I had and still was not level.
Our class a has jacks and I love it.
One point I was told that I wish I had l paid attention too; Buy your last RV first!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Walmart orange level blocks are compact and easy to use. Took a cross country trip and only had to use them a handful of times. The best part is they cost much less than the BigFoot option.
MacQude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #34

very helpful, I was considering a system but wood will work!
Mantelli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
I have not used wood for leveling but from what I have read on the posts here it seems that would require more space in the RV storage than the leveler blocks.
MacQude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Our first RV was a Class C and had the scissors jacks installed at four "corners". What a joke. Sure you can use (and I did) a battery powered drill to extend them but hang on to the drill with a passion or it will twist you up like a pretzel when the foot hits the ground. The next step is to level all four corners and unless you have a lot of upper body strength laying on your belly to hand crank these jacks is not something I want to do again. There are other options and opinions on this topic but the scissor jacks were not my answer to get level.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
Our first RV was a Class C and had the scissors jacks installed at four "corners". What a joke. Sure you can use (and I did) a battery powered drill to extend them but hang on to the drill with a passion or it will twist you up like a pretzel when the foot hits the ground. The next step is to level all four corners and unless you have a lot of upper body strength laying on your belly to hand crank these jacks is not something I want to do again. There are other options and opinions on this topic but the scissor jacks were not my answer to get level.
I Don't care who you are, now that's funny.
Redsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #38

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
With a leveling system built in (just push a button from what the salespeople say), do you still carry blocks?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
Thanks to you all. You've set my mind (mostly) at ease regarding the PITA factor that would come with manually leveling a smaller motorhome. Still not sure it's my preference, but seems pretty do-able.

Stupid Newbie Question: If the back of the coach has double tires on each side I am making the assumption that I need blocks or Lynx Levelers under each individual tire?
I started out in a small TT and now have a 32' Class A.

I like to have my rigs leveled (using a stick level) to the bubble being within the center lines. Anywhere there is good.

What was said about the old frig's and needing to be dead-on level is true but if you keep the bubble within the center lines, your modern frig will not have to work so hard and that will extend it's life (and the bloom'n things are expensive).

Having your rig, mostly leveled, will also be good for your tanks (black/gray) as it could throw off your sensors if the rig is high on the side that the sensor, for them, is on.

I also like a rig leveled to sleep. Hate the feeling that I will roll out of the bed

If you stick the levels (that they make for RV's) inside your rig, make sure that your MH (motorhome) is level using a regular carpenter's level. Once it is, then you can stick up the RV ones that will remain in place (that was an "oh, duh!!" moment for me before I put mine in

If you get a MH with slides, level the MH before you move the slides out.

I prefer the Lynx over wood for a couple of reasons: You can change the configuation on the fly, they are light, they can be rinsed off and dried before you put them in your bays. I have two sets of them.

Yes, it's best if inside tires, of your dually's, are supported. Not doing it can cause issues down the line. That is another reason I have several Lynx stacks.

It isn't hard to level a MH. It's a lot more work on a TT (travel trailer). The first few times may seem a pain but, just like anything else, it get's much easier with time and practice so on your first few trips (while you are learning everything) get where you are going to camp earlier in the day so that you have plenty of daylight to do this and your hookup. Can't tell you how many newbies, that I have seen over the years, come into the campground at night when they were tired, kids cranky, and attempt to back in, level and hook up in the dark. Lot's of raised voices and general stress. This is supposed to be fun and your way to relax.

The other nice thing about coming in during daylight, if you run into any issues, your neighbors will be right over to ask if they can help (or you can ask). That takes a lot of pressure off of you, I can tell you!!

My first trip, I could not get my hot water heater to light for nothing (my TT and it had manual light--LOVE my electric one, on the MH, that I switch on in the coach!!). My neighbor saw my problem and asked if he could help. He lite it lickety-split and then showed me that I was putting my lighter too far down the pipe. Something so simple but without his help, it would have dampened my weekend.

Having a MH is a lot of fun, enjoy yours when you get it!!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
With a leveling system built in (just push a button from what the salespeople say), do you still carry blocks?
We just put our leveling jacks on, but I am planning on carring some blocks in it since the levelers only extend so far, also on another post they said it would be good just for keeping jacks out of the mud, dirt, and anything else they can sink into. I am planning on carrying 4-12 x 12 blocks 2" thick for this. If I camp on a hard service I will obviousily not use the blocks. I had one campsite last year that was so unlevel that I had 4-2 x 12 under each of the front wheels and 2- 2 x 12 under one side of the back tires, ran out of blocks and still was not level. It made for a long couple of nites with the wife and kids crabby, should have asked to move in hindsight, but hindsight is always 20/20 and the present pretty murky.
beeker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 24' class C which we recently sold to get a 26' Winnebago class C. Neither had or have leveling jacks and I have never felt like we needed them. When I make reservations, I always tell them I need a level lot as I don't have leveling jacks and so far that has worked. I like to keep things simple - hook up and un-hook!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #42

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover116 View Post
We had a 24' class C which we recently sold to get a 26' Winnebago class C. Neither had or have leveling jacks and I have never felt like we needed them. When I make reservations, I always tell them I need a level lot as I don't have leveling jacks and so far that has worked. I like to keep things simple - hook up and un-hook!
I felt the same way - our current rig has automatic levelers, 1 minute or under - I'm too lazy to ever go back to doing it myself. One thing I don't like though and maybe others have a solution: at times either the back wheels or the front are totally off the ground - just hanging out in mid-air, nothing under them. This can cause a bit of a sway, I only feel it at night if someone gets up and moves around. Has anyone put blocks under the tires to take care of this?
DaveTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling