Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Leveling a Small Class C

Hi Folks!

My wife and I are total newbies. We don't even own our first RV yet. We've been looking semi-seriously for about a year, and have gotten really serious since January of this year. We're all over the place right now but are slowly, slowly narrowing our options for our first RV. My wife is a big advocate of our first rig being small and manageable. To that end she is sort of in love with the Thor Four Winds 23U. Everything we've looked at prior to this has been at least 28-29 feet and come with automatic leveling jacks. The Four Winds is too small for jacks. I guess my question (and please take pity on the newbie here) is whether or not leveling with blocks/chucks is a major pain-in-the-rear when camping with something of that size? I have ZERO perspective here.

Thanks for the info!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My understanding is the one main reason for being level is the operation of the frig.. One other reason for levelers is to stabilize the MH. Our first MH was a C without levelers and we used blocks. What a pain.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing.

May I suggest you do a search on here for big foot levellers.
They have installed levellers on class c.
Enjoy your research and hope to see you on the road soon.
Pat
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

If you buy it right, the bigfoot is an outstanding leveling system. It can be added on for around $3000. It is on my 31' C and I love it.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
My concern with adding on a leveling system is that the Four Winds my wife likes is only 23-24 feet long. I'm a little (OK a lot) worried that adding a system after purchase is a terrible idea because of the weight of the leveling system.
Leveling seems like a pain in the butt but I clearly realize I'm speculating as someone who has never owned/operated any size RV. I guess I'm sort of hoping that someone will chime in and tell me: "Nah! Leveling a 23 footer is no problem!" But I'm with Neal above - sounds like a pain to me.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
i too have a class c 30 ft i use 2x8 blocks stacked together4 ft 3 ft 2 ft and 1 ft for EACH wheel. i glued them together then screwed them together. I have had no problem and it is a lot lighter than a leveling system. You can actually feel yourself as you go up each level, and I have used them for two years now with no problems. It takes less than ten minutes to get level, all you have to do is back up on them.just make sure you put one under each wheel to evenly distribute the load.

Bart Anderson
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 24 ft Forest River Solera. We don't have a leveling system and I don't think it is a problem. But, we mostly camp on level sites!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
i too have a class c 30 ft i use 2x8 blocks stacked together4 ft 3 ft 2 ft and 1 ft for EACH wheel. i glued them together then screwed them together. I have had no problem and it is a lot lighter than a leveling system. You can actually feel yourself as you go up each level, and I have used them for two years now with no problems. It takes less than ten minutes to get level, all you have to do is back up on them.just make sure you put one under each wheel to evenly distribute the load.

Bart Anderson

Did same with my C and a small A.
I put two cheap leveling bubbles in the driver area, 1 one the dash, one on the left window frame (when rig was level). Then I would watch the bubbles as I drove on the ramps. Got real good at it!
Could even judge by the bubbles, before ramping, how much lift I needed fore/aft and L/R. Just staggered the ramps accordingly.
When I sold the small A, the buyer was impressed by my "leveling system".
You will see many variations out there!

Happy trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #9

We have a four winds 31 ' class C.
My DW is amazing with the leveling. She tells me how many 4x8's to use under each wheel. She does this by just standing in the middle of the coach.
As long as I listen, we get leveled quickly.

Problem is, I don't listen every time.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

We have a 22' Four Winds Class C.

In the past 10 years (retirement) we have RV traveled in all of the lower 48 states putting 80,000+ miles on the RV. We didn't tow a car during the first 4 years.

We travel more than sit still. We never hook up to sewer unless the tanks are full and never hook up to water, filling the tank only when it is empty.

We rarely spend more than a night or two in the same place.

Our routine is to pull into an RV park, level, plug-in, put the top down on the car and go someplace.

The next morning, we eat, unplug, and go.

For leveling, I carry 6 - 16" lengths of 2X12 and 3 - 16" lengths of 4 X 4. I have not found a site on which I could not be level "enough" in 2 - 3 minutes. Personally, I like blocks and 4 bys because there is a large variety of ways in which to use them. I can usually get level by just driving back and forth a couple of times.

I can usually "read" how level we are just sitting in the drivers seat, but my wife usually swings the freezer door and it always tells which corner, if any, is low. Then I block that corner.

Good luck and enjoy your new life.

Tim

Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #11

In our case, a 24' C, we rarely do anything but use the bubble level app on the iPhone or bubble levels on the coach itself and back & forth a bit or if its within 1/2 a bubble say to heck with it.

Maybe it's my years in the service, or all the years of tenting, but unless my feet are considerably higher than my head, or I have to work not to roll out of bed, I just snuggle up to the DW and start snoring. LOL.

I think we've had to use the blocks 3 times in total so far.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Not a big deal. I carry 2 sets of Lynx Levelers and when we park the DW goes out with a 2' level and sets it on one of the bay doors for front to back and on the bumber for side to side about every 1/4 off or 1/4 bubble is 1 lynx. We have it down if we need to level in about 5 minutes. For stable the previous owner put 2 sissor jacks on the frame behind the duals and I lower them. Personally I wouldn't spend $3000 for an automatic system for a small MH. JMHO

Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Thanks to you all. You've set my mind (mostly) at ease regarding the PITA factor that would come with manually leveling a smaller motorhome. Still not sure it's my preference, but seems pretty do-able.

Stupid Newbie Question: If the back of the coach has double tires on each side I am making the assumption that I need blocks or Lynx Levelers under each individual tire?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
I need blocks or Lynx Levelers under each individual tire?
I don't for just one night.

Tim

Tags
leveling