Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
Question Leveling Systems for a Class C - Needed or No

I bought a used unit late last summer and am looking forward to traveling this summer (if it ever comes - right now the RV is part of a big snow bank). When I asked the dealer about leveling systems, I was told I didn't need any because campsites are always level enough. At a recent RV show, I noted that several Class C units had leveling systems. Camping World has a system on sale in their latest flyer (they are pricy).

So, what are your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc.?

FESTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure enjoyed the hydraulic levelers on our class a and class C. My 5th wheel has auto levelers and it is great.

Absolutely necessary...no. Sure nice....yes.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without levers, your RV behaves like a boat. With wind or inside movement it will rock back and forth, and at times up and down. If you believe all campsites are level, then you must believe in leprechauns.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
And you believe in the "Level Campsite Fairie".
Had levelers on previous class A. Did not get them for new class C. Didn't think I needed them. WRONG. Just had installed and notice the difference.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
I just read the thread title out loud and my ten year old boy said "not needed but greatly appreciated".

Mom and dad agree. Sites are generally level enough but leveling systems definitely help with stability. Especially when the aforementioned ten year old gets moving around.
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
'04 Fleetwood Sedona / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
If you live close to Southern Michigan consider Big Foot installed at the factory.
Quadra Manufacturing
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by FESTAR View Post

When I asked the dealer about leveling systems, I was told I didn't need any because campsites are always level enough.
Guessing you asked him the question before you signed and paid for it.
If question was after, he would say you would need one for a the many unlevel campsites and would want to sell/install you a level system.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Had a C and small A without levelers. But I had a "system" of 2x10s that were flawless.

Levelers are nifty on smaller rigs, but not required. We were leveler-less for almost 20 years. You get used to it!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
If you live close to Southern Michigan consider Big Foot installed at the factory.
Quadra Manufacturing
X2 Talk with Big Foot before buying levelers of any other brand. Wish my Tiffin had them.
2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #10

Leveling systems are very expensive (as in waaaay overpriced). Unless you buy used and the coach comes with them I would never bother. Our 24' C is very simple to level, I use the yellow plastic Lego blocks and have never needed more than 2 under a wheel. Perhaps the longer C's are more difficult to level (I don't know), but the systems are pricey, add weight and mechanical complexity for little more than convenience.

As always.... opinions and YMMV.
2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
Quadra Manufacturing
I live in Virginia and I'm driving to the factory to have them installed on my 31' Itasca Spirit. Any rig is going to need to be leveled, and those lego blocks many people use (me included) are just a pain in the butt. The factory website says the factory is having a special on installation -- $400 off, which brings that part of the cost down to $100 -- but the notice says February, so it may or may not be offered in March. You just don't hear many bad comments from people who have bought Bigfoot, which factored into my purchase decision (and, no, I have no financial interest in, or get anything from the company, for saying that).
2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Forest River Owners Club
I had Bigfoots installed at Quadra,
BEST money I EVER Spent!!!!
Dave & Holly
09 Class C 31SS
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Our first C didn't have them. Our new one does. Depending on the site, you may need some 2x12s in addition to the levelers.
renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We had manual scissors jacks on our old class C. We needed them because we liked (and still like) to stay in older National Parks, state campgrounds, and Forest service campgrounds where the sites are usually not "level enough". Now with the auto levelers it's really nice to go to those same campsites and push a button to level!

As others do, we still carry and use our leveling blocks for the situations where the auto levelers don't level well enough.

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

class c, leveling