Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Liking the Coachman 26 RS ?

We are looking to buy a class C ,after looking at several models we like the Coachman Freelander 26' on a Chevy chassis. Would love to hear , pros and cons about this class C. I am curious about the TPO roof? We had an 06 Adventurer that had a fiberglass roof and was a great coach. Looking for suggestions. and any knowledge you may want to share to help me make a decision towards a purchase.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just downsized from a 42 footer to a coachmen leprechaun 26ds Chevy. I don't know if the build quality is any different on the freelander, but I'm very impressed with the leprechaun. It handles very well, and its quiet, I can barely hear the engine. I just finished a 4,000 mile trip,and the only issue I have, is I cant get the the drivers seat to turn around......Bruce
Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
I just downsized from a 42 footer to a coachmen leprechaun 26ds Chevy. I don't know if the build quality is any different on the freelander, but I'm very impressed with the leprechaun. It handles very well, and its quiet, I can barely hear the engine. I just finished a 4,000 mile trip,and the only issue I have, is I cant get the the drivers seat to turn around......Bruce
We liked the lay out of the Chevy 26 DS Coachman . The Leprechaun after taking another look, seems have many upgrades compaired to the Freelander.
I did make an offer to buy, salesman hasn't responded. Now glad he didn't ! Need to get a better look at the Leprechan. I only asked for his price to be out the door price. Thought he would at least have come back with a counter offer?

Equinox Toad
Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

Just purchased the Coachmen Freelander 27QB. I was looking at the 26 but the wife didn't like the positioning of the bed. I have the Ford chassis. Sounds like the 26 would be an excellent choice for you. In my opinion, it don't matter whether you choose the Ford V-10 or the big Chevy V-8. Both are great chassis's and motors. It would likely come down to appearance of the front ends. I think the Ford looks a little meaner. LOL
Gator504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI, a TPO roof is a type of rubber roof, not fiberglass.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #6

I like mine, only 2 cons I’ve found:

1- due to the folding bed, you have to put the slide out to use it. Usually not an issue, but if I feel the need to discreetly camp somewhere, I’m on the couch or the upper bunk.

2- the bathroom is tight. I’m 6’ 230lbs and find that my knees have to be together when I do my bidness.

Otherwise I have a good amount of storage for a 26’ C. Everything seems well built and solid. I’d buy it again.
TerdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
FYI, a TPO roof is a type of rubber roof, not fiberglass.

Baraff... I read OP’s post to mean, he had a fiberglass roof before and liked it, now he is considering a rig with a TPO roof and asks the readers opinion on it.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Baraff... I read OP’s post to mean, he had a fiberglass roof before and liked it, now he is considering a rig with a TPO roof and asks the readers opinion on it.
Correct .

Equinox Toad
Old 05-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

Liking the Coachman 26 RS ?

We just drove home our new 21 RS home from Az to The bay area and she is a dream. This one is an early 2018 and has great storage outside under the bed area. We hunted everywhere for this since the newer 2018 units have poor storage under the bed corner. The chevy engine is quick but don’t expect mileage to be much better than 11- 12 MPG.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So we decided on the Leprechaun 26DS . We will finalize after the holiday! Very excited it seems like it will fit our wants and needs easily! We I wanted the Chevy ,no reason other than been GM for Ever ! Always a nervous time wondering if we made a good decision?? Exicited can’t wait to get back on the road! Nothing like having the freedom to travel!

Equinox Toad
Old 05-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #11

I was looking at the coachman but got a forest river. I just want to add, if your tall (I'm 6'3") the ford has better headroom than the chevy. not a scientific study but a seat of my pants opinion.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #12

Glad you made a decision. Safe travels
Old 05-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #13

Forest River bought out Coachman so we are still in the same family. The longer coaches are better suited to the Ford platform, you made a great choice.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I am curious about the TPO roof?

here is a thread about the TPO roof.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/diy-o...ay-392455.html
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote