Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
KC

Living in a small class C/B+ for 4 months

Wife and are looking looking to spend the winter some place warmer in a few years and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on living in a 25’ class C for 3 to 4 months at a time?

Thanks

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was on temp duty in FL, started out with a Cub Camper, nice unit just not large enough for the long haul. Traded it in on a 30Ft Jayco 5th Wheel. Much better.

Everyone is different and the taste vary. I would never try a B, a C class would be the best choice of the two for us. Of course we tote around a Yorkie, 2 cats and three birds. The humans are two.

Happy camping and good luck on your choice.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:57 AM   #3

Everyone has different ideas for minimum acceptable living space. I'm sure that we would feel very cramped. The floor plans that feel acceptable to us start around 31'. Smaller units with dual-use spaces become a hassle very quickly. For a week or two, we can endure it. We can live out of it while traveling, but can't live in it while stationary.

Class C units in this size range are common rentals. You could easily test the idea in your own driveway. A travel trailer with equivalent living space would also be a good test.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We lived in our 21 ft Toyhouse for a month when we went to Alaska -

There is room for one sitter and one worker, two people cannot be up and walking around at the same time.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Good advice from slowmachine.

Those with 40 ft. units will promote the worth of these. On the other hand, I know of a couple that full-timed for 14 years in a 24 ft. class A. Your choice will likely be between these extremes. My suggestion is also a trial rental in a class C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Everyone has different ideas for minimum acceptable living space...
Class C units in this size range are common rentals. You could easily test the idea in your own driveway. A travel trailer with equivalent living space would also be a good test.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have lived in a 19' Sportsmobile for three and half months with a 225 lb
man. I could live comfortably in a 25' motor home anytime.
Ladypilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

It all depends on what your expectations are. I have a friend that spends one or two months at a time in a TearDrop trailer with her dog. She has a great time and does it a couple of times a year.
If you want the adventure of camping you'll like it. If you expect to be as comfortable and convenient as your house, probably not.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

We have a 26ft class c with one pop out. Ours has a full walk around bed which would be a must for staying 3-4 months.

Note. The upper bunk area has a lot of room for storage or use it as another bed.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We've stayed 2 months in a 27'Airstream trailer and now 3+ months in a 30' Class C, and either one was fine for us. I believe it depends on how you like to travel. We love sitting outside, cooking outside and have three dogs (Labs) that keep us outside a lot! But, having said that, you will get the occasional bad weather day or two, or three and its nice to have comforts inside as well.
I second the idea of renting a Class C, maybe two different sizes, and camp close to home or in the driveway. You will quickly get a feel for your wants and needs. Also, make a list of what you can't live without, what you definitely don't want.
Let us know where your journey to RV ownership takes you!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #10

A friend and his DW (both of whom are professional chefs) full-time on a 32' sailboat, pointy on both ends so probably the equivalent of a 24' Class C but with nowhere to open the door and step out into, and have for years. They spend 4 months (summer) in the south of Europe and 4 months (winter) in the Caribbean with a month in-between sailing back and forth.

When we asked them how they do it they giggled and replied "Simple, we're madly in love and made a deal years ago, 'we'd never fall OUT of love' at the same time.".

Sounds like a good plan to me, even without a sailboat.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #11

We've been in our Leisure Travel Vans Unity since April 26, 2014.

jtappen.wordpress.com
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #12

I would say that it depends on your life style. If either of you has hobbies that take up any space you will not have it. You will also have problems with comfortable seating for long periods. You cannot rely on living outside as the weather does not always co operate. On the other side if you have a towed and spend a lot of time doing the tourist traps you will probably survive.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We spent two months last winter in Florida living in our B+ Lexington 283GTS. Just under 30' with three slides. We had all the space we needed and would happily have stayed longer if we didn't have a house here to attend to. As others have said its a matter of lifestyle and expectations I'd think. Just DH and I now but we used to do it with a 70lb boxer too.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You need to go get into a couple. Aside from the unity van, I think what you find is dark, cramped, with uncomfortable seating. I had a peek at a couple of Sunseeker / Forester's, and then the Coachman prism - and that sent me running.

I know what a lot of people do is LEAVE their RV down south. They fly down, and services pick up the rv and set it up for them. This is mostly done with travel trailers or fifth wheels with no motor, no transmission, only batteries and tires to worry about.

If you just gotta have something drivable, the something like the Lexington mentioned most certainly offers a lot more room - Forest River also now makes a Forrester with a the GTS (grand touring) front cowling, although you can of course get it with the overhead cab, unlike the lexington.

What I have to say about the unity van, is it seems to have the most comfortable living area furniture.

Here's a good example. The bed is behind the seating.
2015 Leisure Travel Unity, Marysville WA - 114617052 - RVTrader.com

There was another with the U shaped dinette for 99k, but it must have recently expired. It might be relisted now or soon, and was located up north.. wyoming or some place like that from a private seller.

So could you do it? Absolutely. If you hate the comfort of the "sitting area", well that would just stink. Also try out the cab. The Mercedes cab is the nicest. The ford cabs have that huge thing in the middle that's in the way. But in the mercedes cab, we found the driving and passenger seat to be a little short in the seat.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c