Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When you buy from a dealer, depending on state laws, there is an implied warranty of roadworthyness.. (Many states have laws saying the vehicle a dealer sells MUST BE SAFE TO DRIVE unless clearly marked otherwise)

When you buy from a "Previous owner" no such warranty applies.

Also, in the case of RV's the Dealer is supposed to give you a walk through, showing and/or demonstrating every system on/in the coach, showing location of fuse boxes, and such.. Again, not so the private seller.
Dealers sell "AS IS NO WARRANTY" just like private folk.
Dealers ARE not obligated to give any such demonstration.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
You may have misunderstood the approach I outlined.
No, I understood what you said and there are many people that use the same technique. What I'm saying is that someone had to pay the wages of the people that responded to your inquiry. You wrote that you then took these proposals to your local dealer to negotiate a price with him. You benefited from what they gave you and it cost them money to do that. They never really had a chance at getting your business.

All I am suggesting is that there are other methods that can be employed to arrive at a fair price. With the internet it doesn't take long to get the information you need and it is free. It's challenging enough for small businesses without having to pay people to do unproductive work.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
No, I understood what you said and there are many people that use the same technique. What I'm saying is that someone had to pay the wages of the people that responded to your inquiry. You wrote that you then took these proposals to your local dealer to negotiate a price with him. You benefited from what they gave you and it cost them money to do that. They never really had a chance at getting your business.

All I am suggesting is that there are other methods that can be employed to arrive at a fair price. With the internet it doesn't take long to get the information you need and it is free. It's challenging enough for small businesses without having to pay people to do unproductive work.
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this topic because, as I said, if these other dealers who had advertised their units for sale on the internet... had offered a price significantly better than what my local dealer was willing to match, I would have done business with them and I was prepared to travel anywhere in the country to get the best overall value.

I view the expense of responding to inquiries on their own ads as a marketing cost of doing business and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that they would choose to get those types of inquiries rather than only accept correspondences from those who were committed to purchase only from them at the price they listed.

The internet levels the playing field for all involved... at every level... globally, nationally, and locally. They advertise on it and they have to accept that buyers compare those advertisements and use them for negotiating purposes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Dealers sell "AS IS NO WARRANTY" just like private folk.
Dealers ARE not obligated to give any such demonstration.
Are you saying this is true in all 50 states? I've known many dealers that offer warranties on used units.

Please share more information.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Internet vs Local

We tried to purchase local - no dealers closer than 500 miles for new Monacos. We tried to purchase slightly used - got messed with royally - price changes, changing purchase agreements after signing, etc, etc. Ended up driving over 2000 miles for a new one, cost us $30,000.00 less than a 2 year old one that was local - on a Montclair none-the-less. I wanted the Monarch, my wife wanted the Montclair - our first RV together, and she wanted to learn on the smaller version. The new Monarch where we purchased the Montclair was over $15,000.00 less than the 3 year old one we looked at locally. The Montclair was exactly as the dealer represented, we were in and out in a very short time - they were very professional and courteous - unit was fully prepped - gas, propane, and water tanks were all full, complete walk thru and refrigerator full of bottled water.
We love the Monclair - averaging in the 11+ mpg range - it is so much quieter than any other B+ or C we test drove, it drives extremely well, and is as comfotable as our Denali. Before I met my wife, I was in Engineering and Management at Winnebago for 6 years and used their fleet many times - was/am partial to them, but we sure are impressed with this Monaco.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lareet View Post
The Montclair was exactly as the dealer represented, we were in and out in a very short time - they were very professional and courteous - unit was fully prepped - gas, propane, and water tanks were all full, complete walk thru and refrigerator full of bottled water.
Little touches like that do make a difference. We don't believe in using bottled water since it's usually filtered municipal water but still a nice touch and it really doesn't cost that much compared to what you spent.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just negotiated a deal yesterday for a 25' tt thru a internet dealer. Originally my dealer want 18k + my trailer back last June when the new 2012' floorplan came out. At the RV show a month ago my local dealer had a show price of 19k. Talked to the dealers trade guy for a better trade value. Yesterday even talking to my dealers salesperson asking for there best price an hour later they quoted 14,800 + my trade. My internet dealer about 2 hours away who does 70% of his sales from the net quoted me $9800 out the door + my trade. I did a BBB search and called which came out fine, I did a Google search for any complaints for the business, came out fine. He just asked for a $500 deposit. I told him I would give my dealer which I had bought my last tt, till the end of the day for a better price. It still ended up almost 5k cheaper. Instead of dropping a deposit on my cc, I'm going to drive there today to make sure all the paperwork is in order...The tt lists for 26k...as equipped, If I wanted to buy it without a trade it was 15,200 + tax. For 5k I'll drive 2 hours....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #22

I have to agree with RickO. No one is forcing any dealer to respond to a price request. He does so full well knowing he is competing against other dealers. I make that clear up front. I also inform dealers that the low bidder will be checked with the BBB for performance. I know the BBB is not the most reliable source of information, but if he is really bad they will tell you.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this topic
I agree.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #24

radams, I think it is fair to say that 99.99% of all rv dealers are scum balls who will sell anything to anyone for as high a price as they can get and they will screw you both ways if they can, trade in and new purchase all while promising you that they will stand behind the product for any little thing that goes wrong-which they have no intention of doing.

Now saving 25 large over any 'closer' price is something that would be hard to pass up BUT with all of the above being factual, I believe that it is wise indeed to at least be close enough to the selling dealer in order that they, at least think, you are near enough to them that, if pushed hard enough, you could appear one day, reach down their throats and remove the first internal organ you got your hand on.

Sorry to put things this way, but as I said, rv dealers are the scum of the earth-and I really believe that the dealers are far worse than the people who made the junk we are looking to buy.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road
radams, I think it is fair to say that 99.99% of all rv dealers are scum balls who will sell anything to anyone for as high a price as they can get and they will screw you both ways if they can, trade in and new purchase all while promising you that they will stand behind the product for any little thing that goes wrong-which they have no intention of doing.

Now saving 25 large over any 'closer' price is something that would be hard to pass up BUT with all of the above being factual, I believe that it is wise indeed to at least be close enough to the selling dealer in order that they, at least think, you are near enough to them that, if pushed hard enough, you could appear one day, reach down their throats and remove the first internal organ you got your hand on.

Sorry to put things this way, but as I said, rv dealers are the scum of the earth-and I really believe that the dealers are far worse than the people who made the junk we are looking to buy.
Pretty harsh words, but I have to agree with you. Honesty and commitment are things of the past. I am also debating wether to by local and pay more or buy further away and spend less. I guess it all depends on how much saved and how far you will have to go for service/fixing stuff. My current Moho spent about a total of 6 months during the first year at the dealer.

Good luck, you will need it.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
I bought from a local dealer and am glad I did. Then again, this was my first DP and there was a lot that I didn't know, still is. They provided a warranty which I have used, a 24/7 cell phone number for help, and always got me in for prompt repairs even when their shop was busy (which is most of the time). They take care of their customers first, before they go on to someone else's.

Online retailers can always sell cheaper because once they have your check they don't plan on ever seeing you again. Their costs are lower so they can sell cheaper, it's that simple. You are now someone else's problem. Maybe you've got legitimate issues but what are you going to do? Sue them across state lines? Good luck with that and you better have real deep pockets.

I disagree with the approach of having multiple companies go through the work of putting together a price for you when there is no intention of buying from them. That is a cost they bear and they have no chance to recoup it, let alone make a profit. If you told them that is what you were going to do, just use them for bargaining purposes, then they would decline. If you don't tell them then it's being dishonest.

Studies I have read found that the best value point for a buyer is when the coach is 4-5 years old. That is the period when depreciation has really taken it's toll but the asset still has a lot of life in it. The depreciation from that point on tends to flatten out percentage wise.

All things being equal I will try to buy my next coach from a local dealer. All things being unequal (within reason) I will do the same.
Im guessing they gave you that service because of the premium price you paid. If a local guy wants to give me "free lifetime oil changes"... I would pass as that service isnt worth anything to me. As it was my local guys didnt want to "give me a price" because I refused a credit check. When I asked the sales dork for a resume and 5 verifiable references so I could do a background check on him... he was offended. Ironically still didnt get the point I was trying to convey.
I dont need someone to spin yarn about irrelevant bs. If you ever want to be entertained... go ask a sales associate at camping world the difference between an autoformer and a surge protector.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #27

My, my, my! What's got some of you all worked up? An opinion different than your own? I thought that was the purpose of a forum, to bounce ideas off each other and try to help.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm relating my experience to the OP. It worked for me and I'm a satisfied customer of a dealer. Based on the insights posted by some I can well imagine why their experience was different than mine.

Put simply, maybe the dealer wasn't everything you wanted them to be, but what makes you think you are the customer they always hoped for?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #28

I found my first new motorhome online, called the dealer and talked price. Asked the local dealer if he would do a dealer trailer or what ever if I would buy the motorhome thru him so I could be his customer for service and all. Dealer did not have very much of an up charge for me to be his customer and from service stand point worked out for me very well. Only thing I would have done different was to view the coach before final decisions or have dealer go down and pick up the motorhome rather then just a driver since mine came back to my dealer with a few things missing. Due to this delivery of my motorhome was delayed and more of a hassle for my dealer, otherwise worked out for me.

Tags
purchase