Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Location to mount stabilizing jacks

Hi. Long time lurker here, have learned a lot and figured there are plenty of class c experts here that might have some good advice for my problem...

I have a '98 Georgie Boy Maverick on an E-450 chassis. It doesn't have any levelers or stabilizers installed on it. It doesn't rock terribly when parked but I prefer a more solid feel especially if I am trying to take a nap and others are walking about in the front. I have used those stackable screw jacks to try to stabilize it but it never really felt that solid.

I would like to add a set of 4 scissor jack style stabilizers to the frame like I have seen on most travel trailers. What I need is any suggestions on location to put them. I would think as far back as I can get one on each frame rail would work, but since it's a 31' coach it has those long frame extensions welded in. Are those extensions strong enough to bear weight upwards like this? I figure it's got to be pretty strong because that is what the tow hitch is mounted to but I'm no engineer and worry about the direction that the force is applied.

Any suggestion on the front mount. Finally, should I just bolt them in or go for the welded in method? Any benefit for either? I can weld myself but was thinking that replacing a broken one would be easier if I screw or bolt it in.

Thanks in advance!
Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #2

My previous MH was a 30' class c on the E450 chassis. I went through the same dilema, i had the tripod screw type stabilizers and got tired of sliding under the coach all the time to place them and turning the rod got old real quick, I bought a set of scissor type stabilizers and mounted them to the frame (bolted) I was told by a tech at Camping World to place them on the frame right before the extension, so that is where i mounted them. They were very convenient to deploy with a long extension and a cordless drill BUT I will say that they were not as solid feeling as the tripod type that I used before. I have seen stabilzer arms that go to the base of the scissor jack back to the frame or somewhere and I would assume they would make a difference seemed to me that the base of the scissor jack just wasn't as sturdy as the wide base of the tripod type.
I did not mount any nor did I use any up front.
Welcome to the Forum and I hope this helps a little
Old 01-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #3

Thanks!

Why none in the front? Lack of space to mount them or did the coach not move much up front?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #4

I thought about putting them up front but clearance is an issue, plus the main reason was when my wife was in bed she could feel me going in and out of the camper if I was up later than her, I did see somewhere that a guy had made a bracket for the front and just used one scissor jack right in the middle.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

When we had our '97 Georgy Boy Maverick I tried mounting scissor jacks to the frame halfway between the axle and the back end, along with two old, old Ford screw jacks up front.

The scissor jacks don't do much if they are extended. I found they were much more stabilizing when extended as little as possible. So I ended up stacking wood planks under the jack base.
I would recommend putting a cross beam behind the rear axle and mounting your jacks on the beam as far apart as your wheel base. This will make it easier to "plank" it and operate your jacks.

By the way, setup some method to remind you to retract the jacks before driving off. (Don't ask how I know)
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

had 31' and mounted scissor jacks on a 3" angle welded across frame about a ft from the rear. Used drill motor to run up and down. Never a problem. All you are trying to do is stabalize. Did not do anything up front. Have seen guys with small screw jack under steps, as thats where leverage is.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Thanks guys!

I have heard of people putting a screw jack under the steps. I was always concerned that putting any pressure upwards there could damage the retracting mechanism. Probably over thinking it I know but is there anything I should be concerned with in that regard?

How tight are you supposed to extend them? Should I be aiming to raise the chassis ever so slightly or just snug it up? Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

I don't think you want too much upward push from stabilizing jacks. You should be leveling out the coach and then using the stabilizer jacks to do just that, stabilize. They are there to keep the coach from rocking, not to support the weight of the coach.
jerdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdogg1 View Post
I don't think you want too much upward push from stabilizing jacks. You should be leveling out the coach and then using the stabilizer jacks to do just that, stabilize. They are there to keep the coach from rocking, not to support the weight of the coach.
I don't believe the OP was intention was to use them for leveling, I believe he was asking about where to mount them for the best stabilization, I mounted them on my 2007 30' class c and always used drive on levelers and dropped the stabilizers just for that purpose to stabilize the chassis from rocking during entry/exit and windy days. the jacks will support 7500lbs so you can actually exert quite a bit of force, I would not recommend lifting the coach with them however.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

Location to mount stabilizing jacks

Any form of stabilizer will be more sloppy the longer you extend it. On the fifthwheel we had for years. I used several 2 " boards screwed together as a footer to shorten jack travel. The chassis frame is where they should go, not the extension.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
I don't believe the OP was intention was to use them for leveling, I believe he was asking about where to mount them for the best stabilization, I mounted them on my 2007 30' class c and always used drive on levelers and dropped the stabilizers just for that purpose to stabilize the chassis from rocking during entry/exit and windy days. the jacks will support 7500lbs so you can actually exert quite a bit of force, I would not recommend lifting the coach with them however.
You're right. I was responding to his question "How tight are you supposed to extend them?"

I should have quoted his original text in my response.
jerdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #12

Thanks for all your responses guys. I guess I will mount them as far back on the actual frame, right before the extension is welded in. I keep several short sections of pressure treated wood that I can use underneath to minimize the extension of the jacks.

Now, I just need to get under there to see if the frame is boxed and will not allow me to bolt it in forcing me to weld it. I prefer bolting if possible in case I need to replace it later but if the frame is boxed I don't see any way to get the nuts on the other side so will have to weld. Anyone know off hand if the 98 E450 frames were boxed? Not near the rig right now otherwise I would just go look, lol.

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maligator View Post
Thanks for all your responses guys. I guess I will mount them as far back on the actual frame, right before the extension is welded in. I keep several short sections of pressure treated wood that I can use underneath to minimize the extension of the jacks.

Now, I just need to get under there to see if the frame is boxed and will not allow me to bolt it in forcing me to weld it. I prefer bolting if possible in case I need to replace it later but if the frame is boxed I don't see any way to get the nuts on the other side so will have to weld. Anyone know off hand if the 98 E450 frames were boxed? Not near the rig right now otherwise I would just go look, lol.

Thanks again!

On most travel trailers,they are attached with drill screws through the frame. Once they are cranked tight, they are not going to move. Welding would be great but also overkill.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, jacks