Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Long trip steering wonder

So on the last trip I drove 900 miles. I was exhausted after each leg due to constant steering corrections. We have a 2013 Jayco 31fs with all the chassis upgraded. Hellwig sway bars, tiger track, safe-t-plus and proper inflation of tires. The motorhome has 4000 miles on her now.

Did have the alignment checked and was told it was correct.

Spoke to a Ford dealer and they are telling me to replace the ball joints. The wander is not significant but just enough to be noticeable. The faster I drive the more noticeable it is.

Any help would be great...about to give up..,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

Most alignment shops only check the steer axle settings, to start with you should have your unit completely loaded with all of your items as if you were making a trip. Then weigh your unit to insure the axle weights are proper and not excessive front to back or left to right. Also when the alignment is checked have the rear axle trackage checked by the alignment shop. If the rear axle has shifted even a small amount (forward or rearward) your unit will develop a push to one side causing you to steer the opposite direction to make your coach go straight. Also slide the palm of your hand over the tread of the steer axle tires from the outside to the inside then pull back over the tread in a reverse direction with very light pressure applied by your hand. Do this on both steer tires and what you are looking for to see if there is any feathering on the steer tires, if there is it will feel very smooth one direction and you will feel your hand catch on the edge of the tread ribs in the opposite direction. This will help you determine if there is a toe issue or a rear axle push on your unit. If you have any further questions or need other suggestions let me know. Good alignment shops will check all steer axle components before doing any adjustments and will not continue until the defective parts are replaced.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

How fast do you drive ?
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

53 in a 55 limit and 63 in a 65 limit.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
53 in a 55 limit and 63 in a 65 limit.
I was thinking you might be driving 75 or 80.
You certainly shouldn't have any handling issues at the speeds you're driving. Hopefully you don't have any issue similar to this on other newer Jaycos (twisted frame - post #5) .
Tough choice - 2015 vs. 2016 Jayco Greyhawk
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Is this your first motor home? Reason I ask is that it is not uncommon for a new rv driver to oversteer which causes the coach to wander back and forth. Typical reason for this is that the driver is not looking far enough out on the highway.

May be not your problem, but thought I'd bring it to light.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
So on the last trip I drove 900 miles. I was exhausted after each leg due to constant steering corrections. We have a 2013 Jayco 31fs with all the chassis upgraded. Hellwig sway bars, tiger track, safe-t-plus and proper inflation of tires. The motorhome has 4000 miles on her now.

Did have the alignment checked and was told it was correct.

Spoke to a Ford dealer and they are telling me to replace the ball joints. The wander is not significant but just enough to be noticeable. The faster I drive the more noticeable it is.

Any help would be great...about to give up..,
I think imho... the 31' is too big for the little van chassis....
Old 07-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

What is the front end caster set at? You want to be greater then +5.5 or so. The spec is a very broad range of +1.5 to +6.5 so it is easy for your alignment to be "within spec, good to go" when in reality it is not. E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I was thinking you might be driving 75 or 80.
You certainly shouldn't have any handling issues at the speeds you're driving. Hopefully you don't have any issue similar to this on other newer Jaycos (twisted frame - post #5) .
Tough choice - 2015 vs. 2016 Jayco Greyhawk
Per the dealer MorRyde released 7 2016s that were off kilter. My dealer was unlucky enough to get 2 of them.

Tags
steering