Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at C's and B+

We've been looking at c's and b+. What say ye all about the chevy vortex and the ford v10. I now pull a 26' trailer with a ford 250 diesel. like the diesel but not afraid of a gas engine. I do take good care of my equipment. How do they pull. bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have always been a Chevy man myself but the gearing is what will allow for good pulling from any motor. My 4X4 Silverado long bed is powered by the 4.3L vortec and I have had her quite heavy with tools and parts but because the gearing was right, it pulls very well and gives me good fuel mileage. I would want to be sure that the weight ratings are what works for your application. Are you familiar with UVW, GVWR, NCC and GCWRs? If not we can explain them and their importance for good performance and safety.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
I can't really say how they pull as I don't pull, but I quite love my V10. It's a very smooth even engine.

Diesel engines don't suffer at altitude as their computers regulate the inflow with the turbo to keep on producing full power.

If you plan on pulling at altitude, and will be near heavy loads, you might like to be with a diesel.

V10 users in 35 foot Class C's seem to be the most concerned about available power.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a Chevy fan myself.
On paper: in 2005 (Both engines have been improved since) they both had the same exact peak torque, the Ford had 15 more HP (less than 1/2 of one percent more) so they were basically equal. On paper

However the Chevy peaks at much lower RPM (Both Torque and HP) and thus actually delivers more performance when you need it the most.

Again, however, I'm not sure just how much different that is.

But I really like Chevy and am about 200% happy with my Vortec. A few times I"ve managed to drive with a window open on a road with nice gentle hills and let me tell you it sings one sweet song when you start up those grades.

I can also tell you it makes abot 100 different strange noises as assorted fans and such kick in.. I keep thinking I should make a recording and play it for someone who knows and say "Identify these sounds please" They are all normal, just sounds I've not heard before.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
pulling

"Are you familiar with UVW, GVWR, NCC and GCWRs? If not we can explain them and their importance for good performance and safety."

I was but it's been some time since I've thought about these. I worked for a chevy dealership for about 8 years. I own a f250 diesel. I hear nothing but great things about the allison trans. We were "looking" yesterday at b+ then c's then a's. we are really screwed-up. First we thought we would go smaller the found for some of the class b's for a few dollars more we could lok at a's with a gas engine? now i am confused. Look at a nice class b+ 28' or for not to much more an a at 30-32'. We pull a trailer, over all length, with an "across the bed" tool box 31' and the f250 long bed extended cab becomes a long set up. I guess i am looking for something easier to drive? do you make any since of this rambling? bill
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
How much does the trailer weigh loaded? How many axles? What is the tongue weight?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
weight

my trailer is a 2004 r-vision 27ds, 5k dry, after that i don't know? I am ashamed to say i have never weighted it loaded. Now to put the upside down on it all we looked at a class a with a v10. one very nice b+ with 3 slides was 85k in the park today i saw a fleetwood terra 33' with 2 slides, very nice unit with a v10. he paid 86k. i know this is no diesel pusher but some where along the line you gotta stop. i do appreciate all the help and will always listen to more. wa8yxm, wd6afc here. thank you all any more info? bill
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #8

Remember, the more slides the more weight. The more weight, the less payload (CCC or NCC) and closer to the maximum weight you will be able to tow (GCWR).

The Slides are relatively heavy. Many vehicles in these classes are limited to towing up to a max of 5000 lbs by their installed hitch and their structure.

Simon
Alfa38User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #9

Not to many class C's on the Workhorse/Chevy combo. We have a class C on the Ford E-450 with the 2 valve engine. The 3 valve V-10 is not offered.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Class c

rvten, do you pull a toad? what kind? whats the difference between the 2 and 3 valve? bill
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgiebill View Post
rvten, do you pull a toad? what kind? whats the difference between the 2 and 3 valve? bill
a three valve is about 365 hp
2valve 300
the space for air flow in an e series does not allow enough air flow for the increase in hp brianj
Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #12

Yes we have a Pontiac G6 for a toad.
As mentioned above. The 2 valve V-10 is the older version and less HP than the 3 valve V-10. The Bigger V-10 is used in the Class A chassis.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #13

Price is not directly proportional to size. A small 24 has to fit all those amenities (fridge, beds, stove, bath,etc) in the smaller (tighter) space. they will have the same engine (for the most part) as a larger 29' class C. Since the fixed costs (chassis, fridge and whatnots from 3rd parties) are the same in these sizes, you will see little change in price from a 24 to a 29 within a brand.
you could see a 24 that costs more than a 35, if crossing brands or trim levels.

This is a good thing! it will let you buy a vehicle that you feel comfortable in (living) and driving (length), without feeling like you were left "short".

When we were buying our BigFoot RV in 2004, we initially were going after the 24 footer. after looking at them all, we found that the 29 was only $5-8k more money. guys explained above (generally) to us. We bought the 29 footer and couldnt be happier.

>the V-10 ford is loud in my RV, especially when driving up steep grades. I have put sound and heat shielding pads in the center pod, which helped the burning leg syndrome, but the sound is still annoying.

2004 BigFoot 29SL
Bill Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #14

Burning leg thing? Must only effect a few.
Have not got that effect yet.