Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Looking at Jayco Seneca 36FS - need help ASAP

We have been contemplating downsizing to a class C for about a year. I think we're ready and have found a unit we like. It's not much smaller but it has only 2 slide outs instead of 4 making it a bit easier to park.

It's a new 2008 model. They have offered close to what we wanted for our coach and giving a very good deal on the Jayco including new batteries.

We have gone through it with a fine tooth comb and find it is made pretty well and only minor problems that need fixing before we take it.

I would like to know if there are others who are Jayco Seneca owners out there and what has been your experience with the coach and with dealing with Jayco for warranty work.

We are buying it in Arizona but live in NM and the only dealer in NM is Camping World. We will not deal with them because they bill for service they don't do and in my opinion they are crooks with lousy service techs.

Any help would be appreciated....ASAP.

Nedra

Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Nedra
Sorry I can't be much help. In 2008 while returning home from our trip I had a chance to look at a Jayco Seneca at a Wal Mart. The owner was taking it to the dealer for some small recall. I sure was a hansom rig I was very impressed with it.
Anyway the owner was very happy with it quality wise and he spoke well of the service. Sorry but that's all I have.

Cheers
Willey

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

I do not have the Seneca but I have had 2 Designer series 5th wheels made by Jayco. Extremely well made and their service is beyond exemplary. 2 years after their warranty expired I had a problem with my converter. I called Jayco and they offered a new one to me at no charge because of known problems with the original converter. In every case in dealing with Jayco I have been impressed. They make a very good product and they offer the gold standard in cutomer relations. No I do not work for them, just a very satisfied cuntomer.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #4

Hi Nedra:
As a former employee of a dealership that carried Jayco units I had the pleasure of working with them for 9 years. I processed warranties on Jayco products and I can tell you that in my 30 years of processing claims no one has been easier to work with. They go above and beyond with customer satisfaction and they cover more than any manufacturer I have dealt with. The Seneca is a beautiful motorhome and very reliable. I vote absolutely a positive move. Good luck! I
Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #5

we have a seneca and have never dealt with the dealers other than when we purchased it. the only downside that we have found is that we do not have a jayco motorhome dealer near us here in Wisconsin. So, if we have to take it in it is a long drive for us.

But, we really haven't had any issues (knock on wood) with it.

I would suggest (if it doesn't have this already) having a steering stabilizer, front and rear anti-sway bars (i think that was it) put on it. We also upgraded our shocks to Koni's. Ride is so much better than when we first bought it. We are still debating on the airbags.
cheryl
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
I had a 07 34SS before I purchased my dp. Overall, the Jayco is a decent rig although it took me a while to get all the bugs out of it. One thing you want to check is for any sagging in the rear. Jayco was putting in 15k springs in the rear when it needed 19k. You would want to make sure this rig has the 19k springs. Make sure you sit in all the seats and make sure they are comfortable to you. The duramax engine worked fine although when I pulled a toad, it seemed to consume oil. I had to stay on top of it as one time it got 2 quarts low (right at the add mark) and the engine system did an emergency shut down. If the coach has some miles on it, I would get the dealership to pay for the first transmission service (5k miles). I would also check the hours on the genny as it's first service is at 50 hours, and try to get that service interval into the deal as well.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Did you purchase the Jayco Seneca?

We just purchased a new 2008 Jayco Seneca from a dealership in Arizona and I have some questions. The dealership and the documents stated that it is a 2008 however we are now being told that the vin# states it is a 2007. I am confused.... can you or anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #8

we had the same issue with our registration. we went into the dmv and showed them all our paperwork and they changed it to the correct year. i am not sure why this happens but, you can fix it.

also as far as the front seats on our seneca, we just had them re-cushioned. i have back issues and after riding in them for a long time my back would start to bother me. they are much better now. the front coach seats were the only ones that bothered me. but, we do travel long distances when we go places and dh doesn't stop much. lol
Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Jayco 36FS

We haven't used it much since we bought it in AZ but so far so good. We brought it in to our local service center (not the local dealer - Camping World) and Jayco has been wonderful. They are working with them to fix all the things that the dealer in AZ (World Wide RV) couldn't before we left.

We had World Wide put an entertainment center in the bunk area and the bevel for the tv didn't fit. They ordered a new one but it came in wrong so now we're trying to get that issue resolved but otherwise everything is going smoothly working with Jayco and the place we get the work done.

Our only problem is getting a duplicate title so we can register it but WW RV is trying to get that resolved as well.

We take our first trip next month and hopefully all will go well. Hubby thinks the ride is ok but we are taking a trip to the west coast in June and if it's not we will stop in at Brazels and have the shocks changed out.

Nedra
Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praire folk View Post
Did you purchase the Jayco Seneca?

We just purchased a new 2008 Jayco Seneca from a dealership in Arizona and I have some questions. The dealership and the documents stated that it is a 2008 however we are now being told that the vin# states it is a 2007. I am confused.... can you or anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
It is not unusual for the chassis to be one model year behind the body. From a registration perspective, it should be the year of the body. That said, with the ever changing emissions requirements, if you are in an emissions testing area, you want the test standards based on the chassis year of manufacture or you may not pass.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

One of my concerns is that we purchased the 2008 model under the beleif that it is has
Duramax® 6.6L diesel engine 330 HP
6-speed automatic Allison® 1000 Series transmission with overdrive

however if it is infact the 2007 it has
Duramax® 6.6L diesel engine 300 HP
5-speed automatic Allison® 1000 Series transmission

This doesn't seem right, in fact it seems like fraud.....
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Jayco

Prairie: Didn't you test drive it before you drove. You should have noticed that it was 5 speed. It also should say on the side on the fender what size engine it is. So, unless you bought it sight unseen and didn't drive it and unless the dealer specifically told you it was a 6 speed then he did not commit fraud.

Ours is a 2008 but it is also on the 2007 chassis. This is a very common thing, not just with Jayco. Chassis is always built first and is frequently the prior year.

Cheryl: call Jayco and talk to them about getting your rig serviced in your area by another dealer. They are easy to work with and it should be fine. We refused to work with Camping World, who is the local dealer. Jayco agreed to work with what ever service center we wanted to go to.

Nedra
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #13

Nedra - I had hoped for intelligent discussion on this forum however..... Of course we test drove it before we purchased it however that does not provide the details I am concerned about.
- The information on the side of the fender does not indicate the horse power of the motor
- It is not a manual transmission therefore driving it does not easily provide information.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praire folk View Post
Nedra - I had hoped for intelligent discussion on this forum however..... Of course we test drove it before we purchased it however that does not provide the details I am concerned about.
- The information on the side of the fender does not indicate the horse power of the motor
- It is not a manual transmission therefore driving it does not easily provide information.
I do understand and I was just stating that if you drove it you would know if it was 5 speed or 6 speed when it's shifting. It would also be in your manual which should have been available to you, I would hope anyway. Even with automatic you should be able to tell when it shifts.

I was not trying to be a smart alleck

Nedra