Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 31
Looking at upgrading to a New Class C...Questions.

We are going to be adopting another member to our family and no need another bunk. We currently have a 30ft Zinger that is fine for 2 kids and 2 adults. We are looking at the ease of travel and extra bunks on the new Coachman Freelander Bunkhouse. About 80k is our budget so that looks like it is it. I want dedicated bunks. I dont want to have to fold out a table or sofa to make sleeping every night.

My questions are:

How do we run the TV in the back or a coffee pot while on the road? Do I need to add dedicated inverters for this. How $$$.

We live in Texas and have dogs and 3 kids that will travel in the back. How does it stay cool in the coach? I dont see the cab A/C keeping the back cool? Do I have to run the Generator while on the road to power the Roof AC units?

What is a good dencent tow bar and what should I exptect to pay for one with braking?

Thanks. I am sure I will have many other questions before I pull the trigger.
__________________

__________________
schupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by schupaul View Post
We are going to be adopting another member to our family and no need another bunk. We currently have a 30ft Zinger that is fine for 2 kids and 2 adults. We are looking at the ease of travel and extra bunks on the new Coachman Freelander Bunkhouse. About 80k is our budget so that looks like it is it. I want dedicated bunks. I dont want to have to fold out a table or sofa to make sleeping every night.

My questions are:

How do we run the TV in the back or a coffee pot while on the road? Do I need to add dedicated inverters for this. How $$$.

We live in Texas and have dogs and 3 kids that will travel in the back. How does it stay cool in the coach? I dont see the cab A/C keeping the back cool? Do I have to run the Generator while on the road to power the Roof AC units?

What is a good dencent tow bar and what should I exptect to pay for one with braking?

Thanks. I am sure I will have many other questions before I pull the trigger.
We recently purchased a Coachmen Freelander 32BH and can give some feedback. You could run the TV with a plug in converter or install a 1000W unit that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $100. Not sure about the coffee pot but if you don't use them both at the same time either way would probably work. You might be better off to brew the coffee prior to leaving and getting a good thermos.

As far as the air we have not been in extremely hot temps yet but we have camped in the high 20's up to the high 80's. My guess is on 90 plus days you may need to run the roof air to initially cool down and then keep it cool with the cab air. We have 4 kids and 2 dogs and the floor plan works great for us.

I did a TON of research on tow bars and brakes and I ordered the ReadyBrute Tow bar with the integrated mechanical ReadyBreak system. That solution will save you many hundreds of dollars and works just fine. I tow a 4300 lb 4Runner 4 down and it tows it without issue. Stops great.

BTW Look around we got ours for $64.5K plus tax for a new 2011 with most options, so you should be able to be well within your budget.

We really like the Freelander I hope you do as well.

Scott
__________________

__________________
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DRosedale's Avatar
 
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 702
I may be wrong, but doesn't the Freelander have a generator, if it does. Just fire it up, you can run your AC and TV as you travel. My Concord has a generator and I fire it up, turn on the roof air and my grandkids go into the bed room and watch movies. My RV tech told me when I picked up my unit to run the generator often while you travel, it does them good and should be done on a regular basis.
__________________
2011 Coachmen Concord, Ford E450
DRosedale, BRosedale and Yorkies, Max, Molly, Harley
Pineville, LA
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdavis62 View Post
We recently purchased a Coachmen Freelander 32BH and can give some feedback. You could run the TV with a plug in converter or install a 1000W unit that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $100. Not sure about the coffee pot but if you don't use them both at the same time either way would probably work. You might be better off to brew the coffee prior to leaving and getting a good thermos.

As far as the air we have not been in extremely hot temps yet but we have camped in the high 20's up to the high 80's. My guess is on 90 plus days you may need to run the roof air to initially cool down and then keep it cool with the cab air. We have 4 kids and 2 dogs and the floor plan works great for us.

I did a TON of research on tow bars and brakes and I ordered the ReadyBrute Tow bar with the integrated mechanical ReadyBreak system. That solution will save you many hundreds of dollars and works just fine. I tow a 4300 lb 4Runner 4 down and it tows it without issue. Stops great.

BTW Look around we got ours for $64.5K plus tax for a new 2011 with most options, so you should be able to be well within your budget.

We really like the Freelander I hope you do as well.

Scott

Thanks. We have a dealer about 2hrs away that has that same price. Just got to convince the CEO to fork over the funds. I really dont want a payment. Do you think there was any wiggle room if full cash payment was offered?
__________________
schupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DRosedale's Avatar
 
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 702
I just checked and the Freelander has a generator, so you should be all set. If you have not made a deal yet, check Motor Home Specialist near Dallas. Just checked their web site and they have the Freelander BH for $62,911.00. About the best price I have seen.
__________________
2011 Coachmen Concord, Ford E450
DRosedale, BRosedale and Yorkies, Max, Molly, Harley
Pineville, LA
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Aguyfromcalg's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 859
I too was told to use the generator while driving by a Coachmen Rep. You may find when you drive the tv will turn off. This is just a safety thing. Plug it in to the next available outlet.
__________________
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by schupaul View Post
Thanks. We have a dealer about 2hrs away that has that same price. Just got to convince the CEO to fork over the funds. I really dont want a payment. Do you think there was any wiggle room if full cash payment was offered?
Possibly cash might provide extra leverage but more so from a close the deal perspective, if financed by them sometimes there are financial benefits for them as well. Even if that is not the case once the bank sends them the check it's cash....

As for the generator question: Yes it has a generator I thought the point of the question was not to run the generator to save fuel. Although the point of exercising the genset on a regular basis has merit I am sure.
__________________
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
That brings up a question in my mind. How much fuel does the generator burn an hour? I think I recall see or hearing a figure somewhere but cannot recall.

Scott
__________________
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
Found this for the 4000W Onan in my unit

Average fuel consumption:
Gasoline No load Half load Full load
60 Hz 4.0 KY 0.3 Gal/h (1.1 L/h) 0.5 Gal/h (1.8 L/h) 0.7 Gal/h (2.7 L/h)
__________________
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ejm4's Avatar
 
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 541
We also purchased a 2011 Freelander BH. We paid $63,400. Love the unit so far. We use a small inverter up front for the kids to watch tv, etc while we travel in the winter.
__________________
Earl
2013 Berkshire 390BH 360
My Albums
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 180
Emerson makes a small color tv that runs on 120 and 12v. I think you can get it at Wall mart for less than $100.00 Plug it into a cigaeret lighter.
__________________
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Aguyfromcalg's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 859
On my Freelander there is a 12 volt socket at the tv wall plug location.that I use with a inverter.
__________________
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
ctcamper's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 887
I had a small 12v tv in the last coach and used an artec digital converter that ran off the 12v also.
Not that I used it much but it was there.
__________________
2011 Allegro 32CA \ 2013 CRV toad
Previous:2007 Winnebago Class C
99' Winnebago Adventurer /Towables
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
We also purchased a 2011 Freelander BH. We paid $63,400. Love the unit so far. We use a small inverter up front for the kids to watch tv, etc while we travel in the winter.

Do the cab seats rotate like a class A to be used as extra coach seating?
__________________

__________________
schupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class C MH MFG's "007" Class C Motorhome Discussions 33 04-23-2017 10:35 AM
First post with some Questions about a Class A Bug512 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 25 11-12-2010 08:16 PM
Reflections from the passenger seat of a Class A Rhonda in NC Class A Motorhome Discussions 16 03-17-2007 11:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.