RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Looking for purchsing advice: Ex-Rental FR Sunseeker 2650 CDWS

We currently have enjoyed our first RV for 5-years, a 1990 24ft Glendale. Now we have a better idea of what we need and want, along with what we don't need, we're looking to upgrade.

A few things we're looking for:
  • Newer model Ford. V10 and newer transmission.
  • Walk-around bed (have a corner bed at the moment). 'Private' bedroom.
  • A living room slide just to add a touch more room. Bedroom slide would be nice, but not a 'need'.
  • Room for 2 Adults and a teenage son (Adult size), and gear.
  • 5000lb hitch (flat-tow Jeep)
I've spotted this one:

Cross Country RV | INVENTORY FOR SALE

It certainly ticks a lot of the boxes for me, has some nice extras I hadn't thought of such as Arctic package (we live in Canada, so I don't expect to camp all winter, but extending the season would be nice), Generator (nice to have, if not I would install solar anyway).

I've not been out to see the unit yet. The price is decent compared to similar sizes I've looked at.

Some questions:
  • Is that too large of a hangover the back wheels. Is this too long for the wheelbase? Worried about weight distribution over the back axle and handling.
  • This has a massive pass-through storage at the back, has anyone had experience with this. It looks very useful, but it's a long way back and relates to the question above, how much weight can you really get in it?
  • The overcab bed is described as a bunk. At the moment my son is just over 5ft and comfortably sleeps across the motorhome. The overcab area is 5ft deep according to the brochure, can it be configured to sleep across as well?
  • It's an ex-rental, so I'm thinking that means high mileage, a bit worn inside (visible in the pictures), but mechanically well maintained. Would my assumptions be correct?
  • Minor stuff such as no-ladder (never really go on the roof other than to clean it anyway). Couldn't see a spare tire, maybe it's underneath or doesn't have one.
Any other sage (or otherwise) advice on this model or ex-Rentals in general. There is an ex-Rental thread also, so I'm going to browes that.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #2

I don't have a lot of answers but that overhead bunk is probably 5 ft wide by over 6 ft long ( mattress size). Should be ample room for your son for a long time

2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

Valent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll give my two cents worth.

I bought an 2007 2680DS that was a used rental from a local small fleet. I thought the quality of the FR was good then but several years later looked and the same model and felt that things had slipped a tad. They do offer bang for the buck though.

Mine was listed as 31' (?) yours a little shorter. Just watch the tail sweep in close quarters. Ask me about backing around a tree then hitting it leaving. Drug the hitch bottom, several times.

The bunk should be fine for your son for awhile. I used ours a few times when one of the grandkids kicked me out of bed 0200. The bunk runs full width of the unit. Used to stack the grandkids like cordwood in the bunk. They were happy.

I feel that maintenance can be all over the board. In ours the interior was fine with normal wear and tear. They changed oil every 3000 miles but I doubt if the front end ever saw a grease gun. Tire air pressure was right on for the fronts and rear outside. Both the insides were about 40 psi so much for maintenance. Guess they didn't know how to air the insides.

Mine had the pass through also but I loaded it lightly. I constantly ran about 400-500 pounds over on the rear with about 1/2 tank or less of water. Always ran the maximum air pressure in the rear, as listed on the sidewall.

My spare was mounted underneath between the frame with no way to lower it. I dropped it down once and muscled back up so I could flip it to check air pressure. Something that was never done.

The V-10 will move you good. There was a couple of times when grandpa was putting down the road and I stood on it. Darn near ran out of gas but I made it around him with room to spare. You will like it.

You might run out of GCW towing your jeep. I did dolly tow a Ford Taurus several times and only knew it was there when I went around a corner.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
One other thing. You can bet the mattress is junk from day one and likely way worse now. Put some $$ aside to replace it.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was offline all weekend so only getting around to catching up.

We went to look yesterday (Monday). They actually have 4 with the same spec/floorplan, all 2013/2014. All ex-Canadream rentals, mileage varies from 105000km (approx. 65000 miles) to 140000km, high for a 4-year old motorhome, but fine for a E450 with a V10.

Having 4 to look at was interesting, each had it's pros and cons. We settled on one that had a lighter wood interior than the others, it was noticeable when walking in. It also had the least wear and tear on the inside.

The upper bunk is huge, the guy says he specs them with the larger overhead bunk, it's a full 6ft deep (front to back), and even wider if he wants to sleep across.

Same with the storage at the back, have to be careful to load it with light bulky stuff.

I was impressed how well specified they were, dual pane windows, 4000w gen set, dual deep cycle batteries with room for 2 more. I like the arctic package with tanks inside and a heated compartment for the dump valves, I can't see us using it during our Canadian winters, but it'll certainly let us extend our season in comfort.

Just need to test drive now and check all the systems work (was still winterized), check the roof (no ladder), so going back on Wednesday.

My wife keeps telling me not to look too excited around the salesman, I'm eating into her negotiating powerbase

Steve
Old 05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Sounds like it has some pretty good options for a rental.
One thing to consider is if you can find one on a 2014 cab/chassis ( not just MH model year) it has the 6 speed instead of the 5 speed transmission, I believe.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #7

The 6-speed would be nice, but out of my pricepoint I think.

I'm coming from a 1990 with the 460ci engine and E40D (think that's right, few gears and an OD button), so the upgrade will be huge anyway. Hopefully I manage to avoid driving a 6-speed in the future, that way I'll not know what I'm missing.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
The 6-speed would be nice, but out of my pricepoint I think.

I'm coming from a 1990 with the 460ci engine and E40D (think that's right, few gears and an OD button), so the upgrade will be huge anyway. Hopefully I manage to avoid driving a 6-speed in the future, that way I'll not know what I'm missing.
If the one you preferred was a 2014 model, it could be on a 2014 chassis .
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #9

Talking It's Done!!

2013 chassis, I checked the VIN also to be sure.

Regardless, I dropped the hammer on this, I think we got a great deal, at least $15000 under what they're going for in local classifieds. They put in 2 new Deep Cycle Coach Batteries. The generator wouldn't run so they're taking it to Cummins to have it fixed, really couldn't find anything else wrong.

They cleaned up a scrape on the rear to the point that you can't see it unless you know you're looking for it.

The awning has never been used (they ban renters from using it), it has a bit of mildew but we can fix that. Have to clean up some of the decals and maybe get the stripes re-done but it's all cosmetic.

Had a test drive for about an hour, found some hills and experienced the V10 scream as the transmission dropped 2-gears (I'd read about it but never experienced it). Drove the same hill with Tow-Haul off (or is it on? Orange light on anyway), and didn't use cruise, much more civilized. I see a 5Star tuner in my future, but maybe next year.

Pick it up June 2nd, have a trip booked to Banff in the Canadian Rockies at the end of June.

Pretty darn excited

Now just have to prepare to say goodbye to the old faithful Royal Classic.

Steve
Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Congrats on your new to you rig, as a 2015 2650sf owner I can tell you its a great MH
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
2013 chassis, I checked the VIN also to be sure.

Regardless, I dropped the hammer on this, I think we got a great deal, at least $15000 under what they're going for in local classifieds. They put in 2 new Deep Cycle Coach Batteries. The generator wouldn't run so they're taking it to Cummins to have it fixed, really couldn't find anything else wrong.

They cleaned up a scrape on the rear to the point that you can't see it unless you know you're looking for it.

The awning has never been used (they ban renters from using it), it has a bit of mildew but we can fix that. Have to clean up some of the decals and maybe get the stripes re-done but it's all cosmetic.

Had a test drive for about an hour, found some hills and experienced the V10 scream as the transmission dropped 2-gears (I'd read about it but never experienced it). Drove the same hill with Tow-Haul off (or is it on? Orange light on anyway), and didn't use cruise, much more civilized. I see a 5Star tuner in my future, but maybe next year.

Pick it up June 2nd, have a trip booked to Banff in the Canadian Rockies at the end of June.

Pretty darn excited

Now just have to prepare to say goodbye to the old faithful Royal Classic.

Steve

Congrats! I hope you have many happy miles in your new rig.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #12

Brought her home, will get it in for a service before we go away.

The dealer said the brakes failed the safety and replaced the pads, but it makes a noise after about 20km which might be a stuck caliper, not very impressed that his 'mechanic' didn't spot this (or conveniently decided to not mention it), so I'm going to pay a garage I trust to look at them rather than trying to argue with the dealer (a bit more money, but peace of mind is priceless).

Apart from the brake noise, it drives great, handles so much better than the old one. It's not got all our junk in it yet, but it feels a lot tighter accelerating, braking and in the bends (compared to a 1990 Ford, not compared to a car).

Hitched up the Jeep and pulled it around for a while, don't even know it's there. My old one would be shifting down and having to press down the accelerator on small hills near our house, this new one just drops out of OD and I'm barely pushing the pedal at all.

Jobs to do:
Service brakes and Oil change.
Remove some graphics and see what it's like underneath.
Fix some scratches on the inside.
Install rear-view camera.
Better reading lights in the bedroom.
Fix plug for trailer (never used, I think it's just corroded).
Scangauge
5Star Tuner eventually (maybe a Christmas present to myself).

First trip is July 1st long weekend to Banff, AB.

Just have to get the old 1990 Ford ready for sale, it's sad to see her go, was out first Motorhome and super reliable, but I do prefer the modern one even if it has less character

I appreciate all the input. Thanks.
Steve

Tags
advice, rental