Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #15

We have a '13 Forest River Sunseeker. No jack. But they did give a free year of Coachnet. Somebody asked why on the Forest River forums, the manufacturer rep answered, but I can't remember the answer. My personal opinion is that the various RV manufacturers legal depts discourage including a jack. I think most would agree that more could go wrong changing a tire on a motorhome versus a family sedan, both to the vehicle and person. If a jack were included, some average joe tries changing a tire, hurts / kills himself, some ambulance chaser attorney would be all too happy to sue the RV manufacturer. Again, JMHO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a 6 ton hydraulic bottle jack that I keep in our class C. I also have the proper lug tools to change a flat tire. Those tools include a small flat pry bar that makes lifting the wheel onto the studs a whole lot easier.

Last summer, on our way to the lake in a class C with the boat in tow, I had a tread separate from the tire. It was the inside tire on the right rear.
After stopping, I had the spare down and had the bad tire changed within 15 minutes. A lot faster than if I had called road service and waited for them to show up.

Changing a flat on a MH is not some task that only professionals can do, it's not exactly an easy task either though.
A little elbow grease with the proper tools and knowledge will get you back on the road in short order.
If you don't like sliding up under the MH to jack it up, or can't lift a 100 lb. wheel on the studs, then the road service is probably the way to go for you.
If you are a little handy and don't mind laying on the ground a bit, get the jack and tools you need.
As said before, there is more than one answer.
This is what works for me, but I am relatively young and don't have any health issues.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #17

Quote:
I also greased the threads while I had the wheels off.
Unless the chassis manufacturer specifically recommends this - and very few do, the result of greasing threads can be way overstretched studs and potential for breakage or damage to aluminium rims.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
All very convenient if you stay on the interstates and never venture beyond a phone service, but we like to go where there are no phones and no people.
then I would use my ham radio to get help . YMMV
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
All very convenient if you stay on the interstates and never venture beyond a phone service, but we like to go where there are no phones and no people.
we are also often outside of cell phone coverage, and then I would use my ham radio to get assistance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #20

Most do not come with a jack anymore.
Insurance for MFG. should you get hurt using it.
I carry a small bottle jack.
Better yet some form of road emergency. I use GS.

Las MH I had that came with a jack. Was an 87 class A. The next 4 after that no jack.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class C. might have a jack, Class A, I would SERIOUSLY doubt it. also applies to spare tire.

What I have:

12 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack from harbor Freight and a Sears compressor to provide the air.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
GuyTom,
Just telling us that your MH is a Ford isn't much help. Here's the reason, which has been alluded to but not specifically addressed.

There are two rims used on most Fords. On the smaller coaches it is 19.5" and each lug nut requires 150 ft. lb of torque. That can be handled with a hydraulic bottle jack and a decent torque wrench.

The 22.5" rim is for the larger MH's and requires 450 ft.lbs of torque which is not easily handled by the average MH owner and driver. That's why most have to have road service change a tire.

You can buy a less expensive hydraulic bottle jack at HF and save a few bucks. Always use a safety stand when you lift these MH's. Don't however buy a cheap torque wrench. A good reliable accurate torque wrench will cost you $100 or more. My Snap-On was $250. Buy cheap and your torque results won't be accurate and they need to be accurate. Your life may depend on it. You might just say well then I'll torque it just as tight as me and a cheater bar can get it and it won't come off. Getting it tight is only half of the process. It needs to be accurately torqued so it can be removed when necessary and so the disc brake rotor won't be effected by over torquing some of the lugs and not others.

We drive a 2014 Vista by WBGO. It has 19.5" rims and I've had all tires off and back on about 10 times and we only have about 2,300 miles on the coach. We had a tire pulling issue and I had to take tires off to have them looked at, rotated and balanced. It was easier than driving the MH all over the place.

TeJay
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #23

I can teach a 100 Lb, teen age girl, how to change a 22.5 size tire, and torque it to 500 ft/lbs.

Has something to do with "give me a place to stand, and a long enough lever, and I can lift the world"!

Ed
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
ED,
You are absolutely correct. If you know how anybody can change a tire. Leverage is all it takes. However most individuals won't take the time to learn or to figure out how to do it.

Even if you have the know how where is the spare stored?? Can you get it out easily??? Once it's on the ground things are OK. It can be rolled and levered into position. Now the tire is changed and you have to get the flat tire and rim into it's storage area. If you have a TOAD that would probably work. We have a Honda Civic so that won't work. Our spare tire storage area is about chest high on the rear side of the coach. I can't lift a 19.5" tire/rim that high without doing some possible damage to the coach or me.

The manufacturer does have a point as far as saving some weight. That's what we were told why we didn't have a spare.

One more question. This is information for those thinking they want to change their MH tires.

I know my Snap-On torque wrench cost me about $250. I don't believe it will go up to 450 Ft/lbs. It's in the coach and not available now. What would an accurate torque wrench cost to torque something accurately to 450 ft/lbs???? I know you can use levers to multiply torque.

TeJay
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #25

Good afternoon all just bought a 12ton jack. For my classC. Do not know what I am going to need for. But just in case I have G S. For a flat.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
GuyTom,
Just telling us that your MH is a Ford isn't much help. Here's the reason, which has been alluded to but not specifically addressed.

There are two rims used on most Fords. On the smaller coaches it is 19.5" and each lug nut requires 150 ft. lb of torque. That can be handled with a hydraulic bottle jack and a decent torque wrench.

The 22.5" rim is for the larger MH's and requires 450 ft.lbs of torque which is not easily handled by the average MH owner and driver. That's why most have to have road service change a tire.

You can buy a less expensive hydraulic bottle jack at HF and save a few bucks. Always use a safety stand when you lift these MH's. Don't however buy a cheap torque wrench. A good reliable accurate torque wrench will cost you $100 or more. My Snap-On was $250. Buy cheap and your torque results won't be accurate and they need to be accurate. Your life may depend on it. You might just say well then I'll torque it just as tight as me and a cheater bar can get it and it won't come off. Getting it tight is only half of the process. It needs to be accurately torqued so it can be removed when necessary and so the disc brake rotor won't be effected by over torquing some of the lugs and not others.

We drive a 2014 Vista by WBGO. It has 19.5" rims and I've had all tires off and back on about 10 times and we only have about 2,300 miles on the coach. We had a tire pulling issue and I had to take tires off to have them looked at, rotated and balanced. It was easier than driving the MH all over the place.

TeJay
almost all C are 16" wheels never seen a 19.5 on a C
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
we are also often outside of cell phone coverage, and then I would use my ham radio to get assistance.
I have commented the same and had bricks thrown at me for not being practical.

Ken
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #28

If you look and spend the money an aluminum floor jack can be found with a four ton load rating. Should fit in med sized storage with handle removed and you can use the handle for a cheater bar to loosen your lug nuts.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote