Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #1

Looking for tire jack in my RV

I have no idea whether or not my RV would have come with a tire jack, can anyone tell me whether it would and where the jack would be in the RV? It is a Thor Chateau if that helps, I have no idea what year.
GuyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Ford, Chev, Dodge, VIN?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #3

Ford
GuyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2.com. Probably not. My rig is also made by Thor. It came with a spare tire but the literature that I had said to call roadside assistance or a mobile tire service if I had a flat. I would think that you would need a heavy duty and/or hydraulic jack for an RV, which would be a space and weight problem to store.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyTom View Post
I have no idea whether or not my RV would have come with a tire jack, can anyone tell me whether it would and where the jack would be in the RV? It is a Thor Chateau if that helps, I have no idea what year.
. I have a jayco. ClassC. And no jack. If I were to need one I would call someone.
Margar3t1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

Usual problem is the torque needed for the lug nuts, especially on the larger RVs. 500 ft-lbs is not uncommon which means often a lot more to get them undone.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry my jack and other tire changing tools in my wallet. A Coach-Net ERS card with their phone number.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I carry my jack and other tire changing tools in my wallet. A Coach-Net ERS card with their phone number.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Community Administrator

X3.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
X4 and app on my phone!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #11

All very convenient if you stay on the interstates and never venture beyond a phone service, but we like to go where there are no phones and no people.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

As with everything, there are two sides to an issue, situation, or story.

For those of you who are "Checkbook mechanics", a charge card and Coach Net membership can solve almost any problem.

A class C motorhome on a Ford chassis will have lug nut torque that can be handled by an ordinary human. Also, a 5 ton bottle jack can be purchased at Harbor Freight for under $50. Along with a wheel chock, there is no reason why someone with minimal skills can't change a tire. Further, basic mechanical skills can go a long way to solving problems with your RV and reducing those $100 per hour repair bills.

Again, there is not one answer, merely different ways to address a problem.

Quote:
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the class C, the best thing to do is to get a 8 or 10 ton hydraulic bottle jack. The chassis manufacturers jacks are junk.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #14

On my C, I purchased a deep socket for the lug nuts, a 16" extension and a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts. I also greased the threads while I had the wheels off.
Word of caution though, the wheels are heavy. I have a six ton bottle jack to jack the axle up. It is not an easy task, but it can be done. Honestly, my first choice is always to call a road service. But if I was in situation as was mentioned, you could change the tire or ask someone to help with minimal tools.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote