Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
looking to buy

have just sold my montana fiver truck. 'm looking to buy a class c, probably in the 90's. having never owned a class c motorhome, are there any negatives I must look for, besides leaks. I don't want a cabover with windows for I hear they are the worst in leaking. I want a rear bedroom, and bath, around 26-31 ft. Rather have a ford chassis, Chevy would be ok. I would be towing a F150 short bed 4x4 with manual transfer case, and trucks dry weight is 4640 lbs. would this truck be ok to tow with a class c ? and what would be a good towing setup with this truck & class c? what about braking ? thanks for any help & advise
Tom

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom41 View Post
have just sold my montana fiver truck. 'm looking to buy a class c, probably in the 90's. having never owned a class c motorhome, are there any negatives I must look for, besides leaks. I don't want a cabover with windows for I hear they are the worst in leaking. I want a rear bedroom, and bath, around 26-31 ft. Rather have a ford chassis, Chevy would be ok. I would be towing a F150 short bed 4x4 with manual transfer case, and trucks dry weight is 4640 lbs. would this truck be ok to tow with a class c ? and what would be a good towing setup with this truck & class c? what about braking ? thanks for any help & advise
Tom
I may be wrong on this,but most class c's have limited tow weight of 5000#. Your F150 may be too close to limit.Especially if packing other items. I do hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Tom
Are you sure on the weight of the F150? My 02 weighed in at over 6k. If you got an E450 with a 5k limit and used a tow bar, you should be ok. I tow my Mazda on a dolly and I'm just under my 5k limit.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
yes the dry weight of the F150 4x4 is 4615 but thats without fuel or anything. the class c I am looking at has the v10 ford...I know the v10 is strong enough and I know I would need supplemental braking for the F150. I havent looked at the class c's hitch weight. But towing on 4wheel down would be different then "tongue weight" wouldn't it? I'll not be doing any long distances with this unit if I get it. We fulltimed for 12 yrs and already seen and been everywhere we wanted to see. We will just be camping now a few days at a time, probably no more then 200 mile trip. Just too much to do around the homestead now> Our lifestyle has changed!! thanks for every ones help and You have been so much help and thats what I need!
safe traveling
Tom
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
But towing on 4wheel down would be different then "tongue weight" wouldn't it? I'll not be doing any long distances with this unit if I get it.
No, the hitch has a max of 5,000#'s, that's the most you can tow behind the RV and even that might not be right depending on the other ratings like GCVWR.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I want to thank everyone for the info and advised. after reading and getting advised from another forum I have come to the conclusion that a class c is not for me. I guess I will be looking at class A's , for I have owned 1 different class A's and could tow full size auto's. I just dont care for the tiny small cars, they are just to hard for me to get in and out of. Thats why I like trucks. But I am glad I got all of you fellows advise on here. thanks again
Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #7

Hi Tom and Nancy
My wife and I own a 2006 Fleetwood Tioga Class C motorhome. We have towed our Saturn L-300 with no problem,but I did have Camping World install a Bank's System on our Ford 450 V-10 gas and it pulls great! Also had them install a All Terrain tow bar and braking system. Works nice.
Now my wife and I are getting ready to down size may into a travel trailer ( Airstream ???) If you are interested I will send you pics of our unit. Thanks and Happy RVing
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
thanks Franklin60. I went ahead and bought the 1998 class c Super duty. The fellow I bought it from lives locally, bought it new and has only 36000 miles on the motorhome. it does have the V10, and he towed a grand cherokee 4x4 which weighs as much as the f150 4x4 I'm looking at, I will want a reliable braking system for the truck. If anyone knows about a good reliable braking system that isn't to hard to hook up please advise
thanks again Franklin