Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Looking to buy Class C under $5k - am I nuts?

Hi -

Brand new to RVing, although have been doing some research.

I'm anxious to get going quickly - so I've got a price point of about $5k. Is it possible to get a late-model class C under 25ft that isn't a "project" for that amount?

I'm obviously willing to make some compromises on interior styling and condition, and some creature comforts. But the engine and mechanicals need to be sound.

Am I on a fools errand?
mittelst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Welcome to IRV2 - I thing you're being more than a bit optimistic - unless you're budgeting another $5K for repairs, upgrades and deferred maintenance items.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

RVTrader has 20 units nationwide under $6000 between 20 and 40 years old. What do you think?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittelst View Post
Hi -

I'm anxious to get going quickly - so I've got a price point of about $5k. Is it possible to get a late-model class C under 25ft that isn't a "project" for that amount?

I'm obviously willing to make some compromises on interior styling and condition, and some creature comforts. But the engine and mechanicals need to be sound.

Am I on a fools errand?
Anything selling for $5000 or less will be junk. $15,000 might get you an older unit or something with over 100,000 miles on it. Figure on needing tires and batteries. If you don't it's spare cash.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

If you're new to rving do a lot of research. Also hire somebody to do an inspection for you. I asked questions on this form for six months before I bought mine and I paid a lot for it. And I'm looking at about $5,000 worth of repair in the first three months. And that was me paying more thinking that I would get a better coach. Wrong! You're buying a used car somebody got tired of fixing it all the time and either sold to get out, or bought up. The five to $10,000 to get it working where you can rely on it and get to know it is very realistic. I can give you some of my experiences through a personal message if you like.

BTW, the one most important thing that I've learned as a new rver for the last 3 months is that every RV is a project. Even the brand new
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
You're buying a used car somebody got tired of fixing it all the time and either sold to get out, or bought up. The five to $10,000 to get it working where you can rely on it and get to know it is very realistic.
$5000 for a RV with a motor ... oh yeah. Plan on spending another $5000 or more. The RV market place isn't a candy store.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
$5000 for a RV with a motor ... oh yeah. Plan on spending another $5000 or more. The RV market place isn't a candy store.
In my case I paid way way way too much for it. But that's only my opinion. I see them for sale for much more on RV Trader. But I have to fix every little thing now just if I want to sell it in 3 to 5 years. So I think of it as an investment. Kind of like putting it on an indoor storage instead of leaving it out in the storage yard. The hard part about it is living out of it when you need to make repairs. My Enos hammock has come in handy many nights. For one week I had to rent a car and I boondocked out of it. But it was also pretty nice cuz I could tear it up down dirt roads that I would not take my RV down.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

Good luck! It seems you need to start reading about RVs in this forum and others. Nothing worth it even close.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #9

It really depends on what your goals are, and if you get a lucky find. Even with luck, and lots of shopping a $5,000 motorhome will have issues, these are often called hunters specials, meaning that they are money pits, and not worth fixing up, but do still have some useful life left in them such as being driven to and from a nearby hunting lease, lake, etc. often for the season, and the owner does not mind the cosmetic condition, structural rot, and often some non functional major appliances (furnace, air conditioner, water heater, generator, ..).

I started my own shopping looking at such a money pit, the asking price was $6,800, the seller was down to $4,900 and make offer when I walked away, in the end I bought the same brand, and same model / floor plan, just 15 vs 20 years old for $20,500, and have managed to spend near $7,000 on it in the last 9 months on maintenance, updates, etc. and I likely have another $2,000 or so to go before I get it in the condition I want it. Of that $7,000, only about $1,500 was stuff that needed to be addressed (mainly brakes, and dash air conditioner), the rest were updates and upgrades (shocks, LED headlights, suspension bushings, full fluid flush and fill, SeeLevel 709 tank monitor, GPS, TPMS....)
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you find something, yes, but they are rare and don't stay on the market long.

I paid 5.5k for a 21ft Toyota Dolphin in 2011. We spent probably 2k to make sure everything was road worthy, drove it to Alaska, then two years later sold it for $7k

Alaska | Alaska Trip Log

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Ya'll, I'm brand new to this site but I thought I'd reply to give some perspective on what you're asking for. I've been wanting a Class C RV for about 20 years. I never had the resources to justify owning one. Well My in-laws felt sorry for me and recently gifted my wife and I a 1992 Tioga Montara with 27,000 miles. Their thinking was "son-in-law is pretty handy, any issues he has he can straighten out". I also want to state that this is not a rant. I love my RV! It's the best thing that I've owned and I've had a lot of toys. The Camper was in great shape. BUT:

The roof was shot. Thank goodness we caught it before anything rotted. $1000.00 in total material to put on a new TPO roof, new vent covers, fixed my broken antenna, remove the front fiberglass and allow over-cab plywood to dry out and re-glue and seal everything up. Labor was me and my Dad working in my great uncles 30X40 shop with a 16' high roof. I also had to burn 1 week of vacation. It took 5 full days for my retired father and I to do this.

New awning material for RV, $80.00 and installed with help from my Dad.

The original coleman a/c was not working. $600.00 on a new Dometic 15000btu brisk air II with optional heating coil. Did it myself.

The van's AC wasn't working. $300.00 to have the leak diagnosed and repaired.

Transmission filter and fluid change, $100.00

New mattresses for the rear bed and over cab, $200.00

The coach rectifier fan was seized up causing unit to overheat. Repaired the unit myself with no parts needed. (cleaned fan, polished rotor shaft, repacked bearings with grease, re wired melted primary xfmr wiring and rectifier wiring and tested on my work bench) New Coach battery $100.00 installed myself.

Replaced broken shower head myself $30.00.

Fixed leaking kitchen sink, myself no cost.

Repaired broken cabinet door mirror. $15.00 mirror, cut out and replaced myself.

Winegard TV antenna rebuilt. $30.00 parts and re-built myself.

Marker lights not working, removed paneling and cleaned terminations from interior of coach myself.

Replaced right Rear brake and turn signal light housing myself $20.00.

Van alternator went out driving home from my uncles shop where I put the new roof on, $280.00 alternator. $100.00 battery. installed myself.

This winter I plan to change the engine water pump, hoses, and drive belt. Next year the tires will be 7 years old and according to the RV sites and advice from my friends, should be changed. estimating another $1500.00 dollars on this. I would also like to reupholster the cushions. No idea what this will cost.

So, within the first year of ownership, I will have spent close to $4500.00 and lot of my time and time from my father. You never know what will fail next but I enjoy fixing things myself and getting this beautiful camper back to being in top shape. The craftsmanship put into this RV was pretty darn good when they built it so it's nice to feel like what I am doing is not wasted time and money. Plus my wife, young daughter and I have already really enjoyed camping in our own camper! If you've got the time and budget for it then do it. If not, save your money and buy one that is newer with fewer problems. I hope this helps you and good luck!
tugboatterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittelst View Post
Hi -

Am I on a fools errand?

In a word.......yes.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Late model? No way, unless it was totaled for some reason. A search of rvtrader.com found 4 Class C's under $5k:
2 1990
1 1989
1 1985

You will need to have deep pockets for any issues & either be handy enough to fix things or be willing to pay someone who will.

Good luck.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #14

Here is one

https://racine.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...256449285.html

Tags
class c