Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Looking to buy my first RV, leaning towards getting a motorhome. Can you help me with

here's one, i'm appealed to the price and also that it says it's designed for boondocking (not completely sold on that, seems like all motorhomes are designed for boondocking) 23 foot Motorhome LazyDaze 1986

here's another

1996 Four Winds XL 30' class A

there's only 3 in our family, we'll have a 4th in a year or two -- we don't need anything fancy and anything big - i'm digging the toyota dolphin but they seem hard to find

thanks for your help
__________________

__________________
jturkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
450Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas,OR
Posts: 2,553
Those Toy based motor homes were a joke. Lots of overloading issues extremely small, and not very comfortable. Are you really stuck on the MH route? A small trailer might be a better option. One vehicle and the flexability to leave your camp site and explore without taking the house with you.
__________________

__________________
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Those Toy based motor homes were a joke. Lots of overloading issues extremely small, and not very comfortable. Are you really stuck on the MH route? A small trailer might be a better option. One vehicle and the flexability to leave your camp site and explore without taking the house with you.
i'm not stuck on the mh, there's appealing pros and cons to both mh and trailer.

we saw a lance trailer yesterday that looked to be very sturdy

which one of the two is the toy based motor home, what does toy based mh really mean?
__________________
jturkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Aguyfromcalg's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 859
What is your preferred floor plan?

I have a class c with a bedroom in the back that has a door.
Yes mine does have the cab over bed too, but remember the cabover bed is usually rates for no more than 350 lbs.

Even with your small children I believe you would find in short time the 23' class c small.
Another point to consider is storage and carrying capacity.

What ever you choose keep in mine that whatever you think or say, you will find yourself in a few years looking to trade up for another RV.
Best of luck in your search.
__________________
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Quaddinmad40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 228
450Don was referring to Toyota based motorhome. Kinda cute but not very practical. Don't think they would have passenger capacity you need either.

Choice may depend on your budget. Older class C may be good entry level price if it is a solid rig as advertised.

Class A would defiantly give more storage and livability space and is 10 years newer.

Either way be aware that there is a lot of maintenance require with a motorhome and hope you mechanically inclined.

I love having everything onboard and not having to leave the vehicle to make a sandwich or use facilities or setup for the night. I camp with friends with trailers and it seems to take them hours to set up and breakdown their camps.

Yes sometimes it would be nice to have vehicle to run around in but really can have everything stowed for travel in about 20 min and don't mind parking a little further away and I try and avoid busy downtown areas. I could also get a toad that would allow me to do that.

Everybody is different in what they find is the best.

They $4000 unit may be a good introduction to a little family camping and you really don't have much to loose with that investment
__________________
97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
What is your preferred floor plan?

I have a class c with a bedroom in the back that has a door.
Yes mine does have the cab over bed too, but remember the cabover bed is usually rates for no more than 350 lbs.

Even with your small children I believe you would find in short time the 23' class c small.
Another point to consider is storage and carrying capacity.

What ever you choose keep in mine that whatever you think or say, you will find yourself in a few years looking to trade up for another RV.
Best of luck in your search.
i don't have a preferred floor plan, honestly haven't looked at much

the $4000 looks to have sold last night though

is the boondocking part important, should i look for one that can boon dock?
__________________
jturkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
450Don was referring to Toyota based motorhome. Kinda cute but not very practical. Don't think they would have passenger capacity you need either.

Choice may depend on your budget. Older class C may be good entry level price if it is a solid rig as advertised.

Class A would defiantly give more storage and livability space and is 10 years newer.

Either way be aware that there is a lot of maintenance require with a motorhome and hope you mechanically inclined.

I love having everything onboard and not having to leave the vehicle to make a sandwich or use facilities or setup for the night. I camp with friends with trailers and it seems to take them hours to set up and breakdown their camps.

Yes sometimes it would be nice to have vehicle to run around in but really can have everything stowed for travel in about 20 min and don't mind parking a little further away and I try and avoid busy downtown areas. I could also get a toad that would allow me to do that.

Everybody is different in what they find is the best.

They $4000 unit may be a good introduction to a little family camping and you really don't have much to loose with that investment
i see, thanks - yeah i'm appealed to having everything on board

the $4000 got sold last night, so that's out
__________________
jturkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Pepper2's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mission TX
Posts: 2,206
All can boondock. We started with a C and have had 2 A's. More storage,livable space and a great view driving or parked.
__________________
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
All can boondock. We started with a C and have had 2 A's. More storage,livable space and a great view driving or parked.
cool thanks, what do you think of the class a i listed, good buy?
__________________
jturkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jimmyjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boulder CO
Posts: 738
Lazy daze and born free have reputation of top quality c class , look for something that has been well maintained by a fastidious owner , even if its above budget make an offer . Good luck
__________________
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Aguyfromcalg's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 859
I would get one that has its own generator.
That way you will be totally self sufficient if the need arises
.

is the boondocking part important, should i look for one that can boon dock?[/QUOTE]
__________________
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA (Stick & Brick)
Posts: 2,623
If funding permits, I would stay newer than 1989. Older rigs have carburators and in the late '80s, were real gas hogs because of all the smog gear. Our '85 26' Class C only got about 6 mpg at sea level and about 4.5 mpg at altitude. Our '02 32-footer gets almost 8 mpg and is not affected by altitude.

If you go for one of the Toyota-based vehicles, be sure to get the one with duallies and the V6 engine. You'll have a better ride quality because the wheelbase is longer. The ones based on the smaller truck are just about useless. Bear in mind also, that when you're in the house section of one of those, you're too high up to see out of the windshield.

Think about floor-plan also. Our "C" had a corner bed, no slide-outs. It was boxed in by the rear wall (the head end of the bed) the sidewalk-side outside wall, the bathroom inside wall and a closet across the foot of the bed. The only way into the bed was a 45-degree cut-off corner at the foot of the bed. Two people couldn't use it. We never used the overhead bed as we both found it too claustrophobic.

It also had two pedestal tables that lined up with the sofa for meal-times. The pedestals were 4" diameter steel and dropped into unlined holes in the wooden floor. They were very wobbly.
__________________
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and ex-RVers.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Pepper2's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mission TX
Posts: 2,206
I would look at something with lower mileage. Price seems fair.
__________________
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Pepper2's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mission TX
Posts: 2,206
And with a generator as Aguyfromcalg mentioned.
__________________

__________________
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.