Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 AM   #1

Hi,
I'm new here. We are looking to purchase a new Class C motorhome. I have never owned one, only a 24' travel trailer many years ago that I loved. We are trying to decide between 27 and 29 feet and also what brand. I love the Winnebago 29' BT Cruiser but it is a bit more than I really wanted to spend. Also looked at a Gulfstream Ultra 27'. It was nice but had a chair instead of a sofa in the living area.

I would appreciate any advice from everyone. IS there a difference in handling 29' vs. 27? Are there any brands that we should stay away from? Are there features that I should look for that you couldn't live without on your RV? Thanks for your input.
sheltiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 AM   #2

Hi,
I'm new here. We are looking to purchase a new Class C motorhome. I have never owned one, only a 24' travel trailer many years ago that I loved. We are trying to decide between 27 and 29 feet and also what brand. I love the Winnebago 29' BT Cruiser but it is a bit more than I really wanted to spend. Also looked at a Gulfstream Ultra 27'. It was nice but had a chair instead of a sofa in the living area.

I would appreciate any advice from everyone. IS there a difference in handling 29' vs. 27? Are there any brands that we should stay away from? Are there features that I should look for that you couldn't live without on your RV? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club

Welcome to iRV2, Sheltiemom! A lot to learn here. Take your time and check out everything.

R
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheltiemom:
I love the Winnebago 29' BT Cruiser but it is a bit more than I really wanted to spend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just so you know Winnebago Industries makes an Aspect in that length. The BT Cruiser is made by Gulfstream.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #5

You are correct of course! My head is still spinning and I'm not sure what I'm looking at. We did look at Winnebago's today and they were very nice. We were told they were better made than a Gulfstream. Is that true?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to see how well some of the units are built, take along a flash light and get down on you hands and knees to look under and behind things. Pull drawrs out and look inside the cabinets. See how well the wires and plumbing is run and secured. Some units look like the wire was thrown in any old way.

See how the cabinets are made. Are the frames screwed together ot held by a few wire staples?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheltiemom:
We did look at Winnebago's today and they were very nice. We were told they were better made than a Gulfstream. Is that true? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a salesman job but about overall quality and workmanship Winnebago Industries does a very good job. Winnebago Industries recently supported our National Rally and they continue to be one of our repeat sponsors.

There are folks from Winnebago Industries that read what's coming across in the Winnebago Owner's Forum and they have used the information to make their products better.

I think it's great that we have that type of synergy between a public domain website and a major RV manufacturer.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #8

Hi Sheltiemom: Be patient, take your time, listen, read a lot, ask questions. Look at a lot of different floor plans to see what works for you. We took over 6 months once we decided to get a class C and ended up very happy with what we got. Until 2 footities set in and we HAD to go bigger. This a good site for getting info. not just technical stuff but life style info. and how to info. Good luck, enjoy your search and don't get frustrated.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:24 AM   #9

sheltiemom, check out Forest River. They make a good RV too. We just bought a Forest river Sunseeker 2860DS. It's 28ft with 2 slides (Bedroom and Living area). Plus it has a lot of storage in it. This is our 2nd Forest River RV. We traded in a 2003 FR Wildcat 5th wheel.

I like your name. Friends of ours have 3 Shelties.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #10

Sheltiemom,
Welcome, I too am new to iRV2(joined in Cape May in May. I currently have a 2006 Winnebago Aspect 26 footer, it has proven to be a great rig and the quality seems to be built into the coach. I had three prior class A's, last one being a 40 ft. Monaco 4slider. The room was good but the fun is in the Aspect. It is easy to drive use and care for, I would suggest you look at this rig in the 26 and 29 ft varients.
Solebury Tom
Old 08-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #11

tell me more about the 26 ft Aspect. I too am looking for my first rv.we are looking at the Lexington by Forest River and the Concord by Coachmen. Hope to look at an Aspect this week.
How is living in it for extended road trips like three or more months or in a single spot for the same?
don
cavareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #12

Any updates? Any more input on the brands out there?
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #13

The most important thing about buying a motorhome class A or C is to have a dealer who can and will service it when needed. That is the biggest complaint of RVers. Getting someone to fix it who knows what they are doing. Anybody can/will sell you one but it is the after sale service that is really important. Unless you do you own work mechanically or on the house part.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #14

That seems like sound advice. It was consideration when I purchased my boat...but, I knew the dealer.

Other than word of mouth, any ideas how you can find out about whether a dealer is good after the sale?
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote