Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Looking to Upgrade to Class C

From a 20' TT. So, I've done some initial research and, believe my choices to be Coachmen, Fleetwood, Itasca, Jayco or, Winnebago. I know Itasca is made by Winnebago, correct? These are based on my internet research and the advice from a long time Rv'er buddy. However, there may be others I should consider? The only one that I've ruled out is Thor, given their horrible reputation for quality and customer service. At least that is what I found out on the "net"... is it deserved, or not?

Coachmen advertises to have no wood in sidewalls, so no delamination. I didn't find this feature advertised on the other's websites. Coachmen the only manufacturer using this method?

Jayco advertises the "J ride", which is a combination of upgrades to the suspension and air brakes. Better ride?

Winnebago advertises an all steel cage construction but didn't advise if the side walls have wood (luan).

I couldn't find a website for Itasca and, Fleetwood really didn't have anything that "separated" them from the crowd, although the units did look nice.

Sorry for the long explanation but wanted provide enough background to enable y'all to zero in on what I really need to know.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. PeglegPete

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try a Phoenix Cruiser. Best deal going IMHO. They do a great deal of custom work, have very good prices, and after sale back up is excellent. There are factory direct.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Are you looking new or used?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Researching "new" but wouldn't pass on a late model unit, if I could determine no hidden issues and at a cost effective price. Problem on "used" is location and I've got a trade.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
Try a Phoenix Cruiser. Best deal going IMHO. They do a great deal of custom work, have very good prices, and after sale back up is excellent. There are factory direct.
Yikes... they're almost $100K... I'm looking in the $50K - $60K range.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #6

We bought a used Jayco 31' class' C about a year ago. I used RV Trader to find what I wanted and decide how far I wanted to travel for it. We were able to find two that we were interested in within 100 miles.

New and Used Coachmen Class C For Sale On RV Trader
Old 04-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

The chassis and engine will be a Ford 450 on the brands listed by the OP. In addition, there is not a lot of difference in the construction & materials of the brands listed by the OP either. The furniture and appliances will just about identical or at the least, very similar. Find a floor plan that you, then study the cargo carry capacity (CCC). Longer length coaches and more slides will reduce the CCC considerably. Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Delete - double post
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

I look at all the brands you mentioned, including Thor, to be basically about the same quality. You didn't mention any Forest River products (although Coachmen is owned by Forest River). A few of the other brands you didn't mention are Lazy Daze, Born Free and Coach House. Those 3 are considered a step up in quality, but you will definitely pay a premium for that quality. Most that you mentioned will be on a Ford chassis, but some will also be available on a Chevrolet. Winnebago and Itasca are identical, other than stuff like interior trim. With new a $50-$60,000 budget will definitely limit your choices.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

Well, no class C yet... it's been an odyssey for sure. Thought I had a good candidate but subsequent photos (from the initial listing) showed the tell-tale signs of delamination, so I backed out. I've dismissed buying new, both for the entry cost and, with patience, no issue finding used ones to consider. I even took at look at a few coming out of the rental fleets of Cruise America and El Monte. Very attractive pricing, internet search returned "mixed reviews", so I've moved on. Most dealers' used inventory are over-priced imho and, so I've come full circle back to searching for a reasonable private sale. I think I've found one that will work on a Coachmen Freelander within driving distance in a day. But, we'll see, awaiting the next batch of photos. Thanks to all who have offered advice, much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

I think that you may see a better selection of used RVs as we get closer to summer and others trade in or look to sell their rigs,

The price you see listed from dealers is normally quite negotiable. You can probably expect 15-30% off of list price.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #12

I'm selling my Nexus Phantom 28P. It's in the classified section. I just found a Diesel pusher I would like to buy so I'm motivated to sell this quickly.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD629 View Post
I'm selling my Nexus Phantom 28P. It's in the classified section. I just found a Diesel pusher I would like to buy so I'm motivated to sell this quickly.
Very "high end", beautiful product. About $20K more than I'm looking to spend. But I suspect you'll sell it quick, a good buy for somebody looking for an "upgraded" class C.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had my 2015 Winnebago for over a year now and except for a minor problem with a bathroom roof vent, it has been problem-free. I am very happy with it.

I bought it new and the price I got was well within your ballpark.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, upgrade