Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Loose steering after new tires?

Hi all,
Just replaced all the tires on my 2006 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W and the steering feels looser than it used to. I also think they may have too much air in them now and I read somewhere that could affect this too.
Does anyone know if I should be worrying about getting my steering box adjusted? I felt the steering was a little loose to begin with but it seems worse now. Going 70mph on the interstate doesn't feel all that comfortable to me anymore especially when getting passed by big trucks etc. When I feel some sway, correcting it, the steering seems too loose and I have to go back and forth with the wheel a bit. (or, at least it seems that way) My rig only has 14000 miles on it so I wouldn't think it would have any major issues. I'm wondering if I should let out a little air on those front tires. The inside door panel says 65 and I think they are up around 70. I know you're supposed to weigh your RV and stuff but I really don't have a lot in there so it should be pretty close to the low end up the weight scale.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Val

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your air pressures. New tires need time to break in. After a thousand miles or so, if its still wandering, I would take it in for an alignment. There are some wandering fixes on here if you search.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree air pressure is your most likely issue.

most tire stores inflate to xx or xxx PSI (depending on the tire) without regard to owner instructions of weight on tire (load) and thus do it wrong

As I tell folks,, 3 pressurs all but guaranted to be wrong (I've seen a FEW exceptions)

The tire side wall
The sticker inside
And the amount of pressure the store put in ..
Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with the give the tires a 1000 miles or so. Also what pressure did you run before the new tires?

LEN
Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Another contributor is that new tires have deeper tread depth than old worn tires. This will also give "looser" feel.

I am concerned that you didn't seem to know or confirm the proper inflation for your tires.

Lots of posts here with many opinions.
I also cover the topic at length on my blog RVTiresafety.com
Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Tire pressure again

I haven't been able to weigh my RV so I really have no idea the exact weight. That's why I was looking for some info from other possible Class C owners with similar rigs. Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W 2006. I don't have a lot of stuff in it so I wouldn't imagine it is at it's max GVWR. Can others with similar RV's tell me what they have their front tires psi set at?

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

1999, E450, 30 ft. 65 in front, 80 in rear, as per door sticker.

I just replaced fronts, tire guy put them at 75. I dropped them back to 65.

Rides like it did before, well better then tire, with the lump in it.

We full time, so probably, kind of heavy.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
On another rig I replaced the Michelins with Goodyear steer tires.The quality of ride and steering was definitely worse. One year later I bought 4 new Michelins. Placed the Goodyears on the inside rear dually, ride and steer improved.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
On another rig I replaced the Michelins with Goodyear steer tires.The quality of ride and steering was definitely worse. One year later I bought 4 new Michelins. Placed the Goodyears on the inside rear dually, ride and steer improved.

Mixing tires in Dual application is not a good idea. You have both dimensional variation as well as traction and lateral stiffness issues that will result in one tire of the dual set-up fighting the other.
HERE is a post showing the proper way to match duals for dimensions which is important for load equalization. If you ignore this there is the possibility of tire overload and even failure if the mis-match is sufficiently large.

and a short video
Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Not having enough front end caster can give the impression of a loose steering box at highway speeds. Tire pressure also changes the length of the caster trail.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Old 06-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
What you might have learned is there are a lot of variables and choices and sometimes none of them are wrong or right.

The absolute best way to diagnose what is happening is to determine exactly what has changed.
1. You have new tires. That's different and will feel different.
2. Your tire pressures are now different. So set it at what the sticker inside the MH says. That's the absolute best place to start.
3. Your new tires are going to handle slightly different from the old ones. They are new rubber. Re-set the pressures to what they were before or at the sticker on the inside of the MH and drive it. See how that is. You can vary 2-3 lbs higher or lower from the recommended pressures without doing any harm to the tires.
4. Since you didn't have an alignment done there's no need of having it done just because you changed the tires. Unless the original alignment did not have the caster set towards or at the maximum. Caster is your best friend. It will assist your rig in traveling straight down the road. It also helps resist wind gusts and semi wind gusts movement. If it's not set close to the max it is not wrong and will not cause you any tire wear or other issues. The closer to max it is the better the coach will travel straight.

TeJay

Tags
steering, tires