Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I may be over simplifying this, but my filler (totally different camper) has a screw on cap. Do you have one?

I think if you put a screw on cap on the filler before you close the door, it will greatly reduce any water able to slosh out.

It is clearly larger than a hose cap, but so is mine. On the short term, you could use a simple cork, that is held in with the access door.

A ball valve is a fine idea, but I would want a cap on that hose anyway, if for no other reason than to keep out the flying critters.
Sensible suggestion, however the outlet is not threaded. With a few creative trips to the hardware store I might be able to come up with something.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMan View Post
Hi gang.

We have a newly acquired 2006 Winnebago Outlook. My problem is water sloshing out of the filler and vent, when we are driving. It seems we usually lose around a 1/4 tank or so.

I think your issue is not that you're losing water, but rather that you have two fresh water tanks with an equalizer tube between them and when you have one tank (the one the filler dumps into) the other hasn't completely filled yet. The time between filling and arriving at your destination allows the water to equalize between the two tanks.

If you look at the little door in your picture you will notice a foam piece that forms a gasket over the filler tube.

You would have to be cornering like a NASCAR driver to get more than just a few dribbles to come out that opening.

As an experiment, fill your FW tank at home like you always do, then come back several hours later and see if the tank is still full.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi gang.
We have a newly acquired 2006 Winnebago Outlook. My problem is water sloshing out of the filler and vent, when we are driving. It seems we usually lose around a 1/4 tank or so.
Both the fill tube and the vent connect to the top of the tank, basically in parallel with each other. The fill tube doesn't have much slope down to the tank, probably less than a foot of vertical drop.
I need some way to keep the water in the tank. Maybe I could install a ball check valve in the fill tube to prevent back flowing. It would have to be very lightly spring loaded to allow the gravity water to pass through the valve. Had anyone tried this or have any other solution?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I think your issue is not that you're losing water, but rather that you have two fresh water tanks with an equalizer tube between them and when you have one tank (the one the filler dumps into) the other hasn't completely filled yet. The time between filling and arriving at your destination allows the water to equalize between the two tanks.
If you look at the little door in your picture you will notice a foam piece that forms a gasket over the filler tube.
You would have to be cornering like a NASCAR driver to get more than just a few dribbles to come out that opening.
As an experiment, fill your FW tank at home like you always do, then come back several hours later and see if the tank is still full.
MurphyMan
I had the same problem on my '75 Tioga class C, (which had only one water tank).
I solved the problem by always plugging the fill tube with a sink drain plug between fills.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

There is only one fresh water tank.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #19

Quote:
There is only one fresh water tank.

Are you sure? It's unusual to have the gravity fill so far horizontally from a tank when it could just go up and out through the sidewall above the tank.

But regardless, as I mentioned earlier, the cover has a gasket on the inside so you want get anything but a dribble at best out the gravity fill port.

Basically the amount of of height from the static water level up to the fill port, plus the gasket in the door, plus the overall volume of the tank equals ..... If you're losing 1/4 of your water, it's going somewhere else.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #20

Buy one of these Valterra White Gravity Water Fill Inlet UV Plastic Screws RV camper Trailer | eBay

Put the cap on your inlet port and throw away the rest of it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #21

Joel, this looks like the best solution. I'll order one and see if I can get it to fit. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #22

For the life of me I don't see how you're going to get a threaded plug of unknown size to seal a non-threaded inlet, besides which, anything proud of the opening lip of the existing inlet means the existing (locking to make it tamper resistant) door will not close either.

If you're adamant that is where you're losing water why not just just put a thicker gasket on the inside of the door?

There's no need to try to re-invent the wheel.....
Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
There probably is no baffles in the water tank so while driving the water sloshes back and forth causing the water to be forced out of the inlet.

For a test I would as Tony Lee suggests stuff something into the filler spout and see if it reduces the loss. I would not plug the vent.

Tags
water