Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Loveseat recliner install - FYI

Here are a couple of pics of a recliner install. Seems like this subject comes up from time to time......hope my project will help someone. The description is about a mile long with lots of pics, so I just created a blog. Also, I have not posted to the forum with pics before.........hope it works.

See the blog at:

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...0;src=postname

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Old dogs, new tricks?

Well, I see the pics didn't post re the recliner install. Need to round up my grandson/instructor (I'm 84) but he is out of town. Oh well ...... at least my blog link seems to work.....and all the pics are there.

Safe travels....... ed s

Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Well, I see the pics didn't post re the recliner install. Need to round up my grandson/instructor (I'm 84) but he is out of town. Oh well ...... at least my blog link seems to work.....and all the pics are there.

Safe travels....... ed s
Hope you get them posted, I would like to see these. What brand and model did you install?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Loveseat Recliner Install-Just FYI

I believe my images were too large when I tried to post them originally. I have shrunk the file sizes down to under a MB each.......perhaps that will work? I will try it again.

To your question: I installed a Lazy Boy "Pinnacle" model recliner.

The link covers the whole kit and kaboodle.......lotsa pictues, etc. May be of interest to you if you are thinking recliner. Try clicking on it (if it doesn't work, pls advise.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sitting Position-1sm.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	128772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sitg Pos-2sm.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	128773  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sleeping Positionsm.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	128774  
Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
mre

Quote:
I believe my images were too large when I tried to post them originally. I have shrunk the file sizes down to under a MB each.......perhaps that will work? I will try it again.

To your question: I installed a Lazy Boy "Pinnacle" model recliner.

The link covers the whole kit and kaboodle.......lotsa pictues, etc. May be of interest to you if you are thinking recliner. Try clicking on it (if it doesn't work, pls advise.)

Looks really nice in there. Did you fasten it to the floor? Some other IVR2 member installed a love seat in his Class C and it also look really good.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club

Ed, all your questions are answered in my installation blog (I posted a link to that blog in my original post.) I encourage you to click on that link (it is sorta green colored) and take a look. It is pretty durn complete and several pages long. I published the blog because there is a lot of detail.....way too much to post here. Hopefully the blog will benefit someone. (I am wondering now if the blog link works for all viewers.....although it does for me when I click on it.) Anyone else have a problem with it? Thanks ...... still learnin'

Safe travels, podnuh.............. ed s
Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

Would love to see your blog but it didn't work for me. I have lots of questions!!

Ellen
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
mre

Quote:
Ed, all your questions are answered in my installation blog (I posted a link to that blog in my original post.) I encourage you to click on that link (it is sorta green colored) and take a look. It is pretty durn complete and several pages long. I published the blog because there is a lot of detail.....way too much to post here. Hopefully the blog will benefit someone. (I am wondering now if the blog link works for all viewers.....although it does for me when I click on it.) Anyone else have a problem with it? Thanks ...... still learnin'

Safe travels, podnuh.............. ed s
Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club

My BAD, Ed, Ellen, others. Evidently my blog (link) only works if you have a "Google Acct"......not real sure about all that.

I have asked the forum tech folks to give me some guidance on how/where to create an IRV2 blog........thinking that will work.

My apologies................ ed s
Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 PM   #10

youracman: Looks awesome! Do they recline flat? I'm looking to do the same, adding love seat recliners that would recline flat, for beds too.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club

ed rzepka- No, I didn't fasten the recliner to the floor. I purposely wanted it to slide about 7 inches (toward the center of the coach) for reclining/sleeping but wanted to slide it back to touch the wall again during the daytime. BTW- They call it a wall hugger, but it needs 7 inches of clearance to recline....one salesperson told me 2" another said 4"....but they don't know "diddly". :^) I mounted a couple of large conduit clamps to the rig's primary structure back at the corners of the recliner......as an afterthought. I plan to just snug the recliner up a bit with a 2-inch wide ratcheting strap to keep it against the wall (and ensure it doesn't wiggle around much while traveling.) Everything worked fine without the strap on a 500-mile trip this past week, but I plan to add the strap later anyway.

Leesdx1- No, the Pinnacle model Lazy Boy does not fold completely flat.....close, but not completely flat (which is why I can sleep on it). You might want to drop into a Lazy Boy store and test drive the Pinnacle.....may not work for you. I sleep on a "Lane" full recliner at home and it does not fold completely flat either.....not sure any of them do, really. It feels like it when you lie on it, but if you recline it and then look from the side it is obvious that even a "full" recliner isn't completely flat. BTW- I slept on the Pinnacle for several nights on a trip this past week......works OK, but my Lane recliner at home is a little longer so it supports my heels.......the Pinnacle is a few inches shorter in the fully reclined position so not quite as "bed-like" in that regard......(I have shrunk to about 5 ft 11-in now so a 6+ footer might have objectionable "foot overhang".)

I am having an awful time creating an irv2 blog to document all this for those interested. Just can't successfully insert images.......but still working on that. If all else fails, I will just email a Word doc to anyone who wants it.

Regards, Ed S
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #12
mre

Quote:
I mounted a couple of large conduit clamps to the rig's primary structure back at the corners of the recliner......as an afterthought.
Ed

By primary structure, do you mean the frame of the slide-out? Also, looking at the conduit clamps, what specific type did you use? Of what I have seen in places like Home Depot and on line are half circle types made of metal or plastic have holes at the end. There are a few other types, but none look sturdy enough to tie done a chair with a ratchet strap. Can you explain.

ed
Old 06-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club

Hi Ed-

My term "primary structrure" is probably a misnomer. The clamps are screwed into to the same metal structure as the original couch was......not to the slide frame. I do believe that it would be possible (and probably a good idea) to thru-bolt to the slide frame (same as the seat belts were originally) and use a stronger clamp/clevis, but I didn't go that far. I only want to keep the couch from wiggling around or walking itself toward the center of the coach while underway.....if I get "T-boned" by an 18-wheeler, the strap will absorb some energy, but will not keep the couch tied down.

If I ever want to install seat belts for the recliners (which I don't) it would involve extensive redesign. The seat belts in that area are gone and no passengers will be allowed sit in the recliner while underway....... they have to sit at the dinette (which has 3 seat belt positions) ....all of that works for me.

Best..... Ed S
Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club

I am gonna give up on the blog idea....can't get it to work for me. I suspect I may have exceeded the file size allowed or something....although other experienced irv2 bloggers tell me they have had intermittent problems too.

If you are interested in the gory details of the install that I did, email me and I will email you the file. It is about 15 pages or so and 3MB. It may give you some ideas you could use for your own install.

Safe travels, Ed Sievers
youracman@yahoo.com

Tags
install