Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Low Mileage 2011 Winnebago Access - good deal or run away?

we visited a dealer today to look at two class C motorhomes. From the website I thought I would like the 31' model and hate the 27' model. Turns out the opposite. Read on - hear my fear...

The first was a 2012 Forest River with 29k miles. About 31 foot long. Two slides. Price was $55k. It had just come to the dealer and they had not had a chance to clean or repair anything. It looked HORRIBLE. There were probably 30 items that concerned us. Next, we went to look at a 2011 Winnebago Access that was about 27' long. It only had one slide and I thought it was going to be cramped. It turned out to be pretty odd. On the inside it looked BRAND NEW. On the outside it looked fine except on the passenger side all the decals looked like they had baked in the sun for six years. The driver side looked fine. The dealer said this happens when someone parks an RV outside next to a building and only one side gets shade. The tires looked brand new. It only has 6,900 miles on it.

There was a really odd smell in the bathroom that alarmed my wife - the dealer said it would be fixed. The price on this one was also $55k.

My first question is how can an RV be six years old and only have 6,900 miles on it??? Do people buy RVs and then just leave them parked outside - never going anywhere? It doesn't look like it was "lived in" (my wife wondered if someone bought it to live in long term at a location).

Should I run away or is this a possible good deal?

wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
They both sound like nice RV's. You get a bigger RV for the same price with the Forest River but Winnebago RV's usually have higher resale values. Having a smaller RV myself there are times when in the house portion that I wish I had a bigger rig. But sometimes when driving or maneuvering into a small state park campground spot, I'm glad that I have a shorter unit.

I'd say wait till they get the Forest River cleaned up and check it out again. And yes, many people buy an RV and then let it sit for long periods. Hence the low mileage. As for the decals you can get replacements. But I personally think it's not worth it. I made a promise to myself when I bought mine that I would take it out at least once a month. And except for 3 months, I have. And I have 146,500 miles on it.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

The mileage is low on that Access, but there are many used RVs with low mileage on them. The Nexus lot in Clearwater, Fl has a used 2014 (I know only 2 years old) 25P Nexus with 1,400 miles on it. That's probably close to the mileage put on it to drive it from the factory to Florida. The $55,000 asking price seems way to high on that unit. I think the MSRP on that when new was probably somewhere around $82-83,000. If the original buyer got say 25% off that, it probably sold for around $62,000. A $7,000 drop in price from new isn't much of a deal on a 5 or 6 year old unit.
I don't know which Forest River product you were looking at so I have no idea of the original price, but I'd assume it's also over priced IMHO.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

Two years ago, I bought a 2000 Class C that had 16,000 miles. The generator had 6 hours on it.

Besides replacing 2008 tires and brake calipers, due to the boots deteriorating, it has been, for the most part, trouble free.

I now have 34,000 miles on it and about 500 hours on the generator.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Two years ago, I bought a 2000 Class C that had 16,000 miles. The generator had 6 hours on it.

Besides replacing 2008 tires and brake calipers, due to the boots deteriorating, it has been, for the most part, trouble free.

I now have 34,000 miles on it and about 500 hours on the generator.
Did you have any problems with the generator ?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Did you have any problems with the generator ?
It wouldn't start one day. The fuel pump wasn't pumping. I blew back thru the fuel pump, with my mouth and a straw. The pump started pumping.

Started up and has been fine for at least the last 150 hours.

It's been detonating, ( running on ) when I shut it down, the last few days. They recommend pulling the heads as a de-carbon procedure. I may try spraying some water in the carb to try and burn out the carbon.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

I'm very surprised that you didn't have problems with (at least) the carburetor. I figured that would have gone bad with only 6 hours use in all those years. Perhaps you can remove the fuel line and trying running the generator with seafoam or something similar from a portable gas can.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I'm very surprised that you didn't have problems with (at least) the carburetor. I figured that would have gone bad with only 6 hours use in all those years. Perhaps you can remove the fuel line and trying running the generator with seafoam or something similar from a portable gas can.
It was obvious to me that it was stored with an empty carburator.

I have stored it twice, for 3 or more months, and simply un-hook the fuel line and run it, until it stalls. Put the line back on and it's ready to go.

With any carburator equiped engine, if you run the gas out, nothing bad can happen.

Sorry, I don't know why I need seafoam?, but in 45 years of engine repair, I never bought into the marketing of " repair in a can ".
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #9

A lot of people swear by Seafoam for removing carbon from engines, particularly in outboards.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

The Access with 6900 miles, you remarked the tires looked new. If they are the originals, they need replaced as part of the deal. Check the dot codes on the tires, if more than five years old, replace no matter what they look like.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
we visited a dealer today to look at two class C motorhomes. From the website I thought I would like the 31' model and hate the 27' model. Turns out the opposite. Read on - hear my fear...

The first was a 2012 Forest River with 29k miles. About 31 foot long. Two slides. Price was $55k. It had just come to the dealer and they had not had a chance to clean or repair anything. It looked HORRIBLE. There were probably 30 items that concerned us. Next, we went to look at a 2011 Winnebago Access that was about 27' long. It only had one slide and I thought it was going to be cramped. It turned out to be pretty odd. On the inside it looked BRAND NEW. On the outside it looked fine except on the passenger side all the decals looked like they had baked in the sun for six years. The driver side looked fine. The dealer said this happens when someone parks an RV outside next to a building and only one side gets shade. The tires looked brand new. It only has 6,900 miles on it.

There was a really odd smell in the bathroom that alarmed my wife - the dealer said it would be fixed. The price on this one was also $55k.

My first question is how can an RV be six years old and only have 6,900 miles on it??? Do people buy RVs and then just leave them parked outside - never going anywhere? It doesn't look like it was "lived in" (my wife wondered if someone bought it to live in long term at a location).

Should I run away or is this a possible good deal?
If it's the original owner (one owner), and they have the service records, it might be a good deal. Always have a mechanic check out the chassis components, and a RV expert check out all of the house systems. A few hundred dollars well spent...

CHECK the date codes on the tires (including the spare)!!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our 2011 Access Premiere 31NP for Christmas last year. It had 17k miles at the time. Now we're close to 40k.

We love it! Will replace the tires after the first of the year.

Only major issue initially was wandering. Called Champion Spring in Fort Worth to get a front-end alignment. They told be they'd try but the REAL issue is that the rear end is under sprung. I've worked with these folks for 20~40 years and trust their advice.

Took HaRVey in, they took measurements and suggested adding one leaf to the rear. It worked WONDERS! Tracks straight and true now. Best couple of hundred $ I've spent on this rig.

panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago