Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

LP Alarm question

I have a recently purchased 2001 Jayco Designer Class C which had a continuous alarm going off when we drove up to check on it today. It seems to be the LP gas alarm but we smelled no gas. I am wondering if it might be the battery, the manual said it runs off the marine battery. I am afraid to start the engine to see if that might help charge it up. it has been a couple weeks since we had checked on it. We are brand new to this so any help would be appreciated.
christineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most lp alarms run off the house battery and will go off if the battery is low. Do you have a battery indicator on the panel with your tank levels ? Is there a switch on your dash for connecting your engine battery to your house battery? If so depress the switch for a minute or so and see if the alarm goes out. Or if you are afraid to start it put a battery charger on your house battery, or plug it into shore power and charge it up.

Paul
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would shut the propane off first, then open the doors and windows for a bit just to make sure. Propane has an additive like natural gas, and gives off a rotten egg smell even with a small leak. If I could not smell gas and had the tank shut off and doors and windows open for a while, I would not hessitate to start it. But that is just my opinion.

Paul
Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Could be a low battery. LP alarms can also be triggered by off-gassing batteries, ammonia from a failed refrigerator cooling unit, and "off-gassing pets" in addition to leaking LP. I would air it out a bit, check the battery condition and levels, and then not be at all afraid to start it up.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkendzor View Post
I would shut the propane off first, then open the doors and windows for a bit just to make sure. Propane has an additive like natural gas, and gives off a rotten egg smell even with a small leak. If I could not smell gas and had the tank shut off and doors and windows open for a while, I would not hessitate to start it. But that is just my opinion.

Paul
Thank you. We ventilated and pressed the battery cross-connect and the alarm stopped immediately. So it's just a dead battery which we'll get fixed tomorrow. Thank you for your quick reply; it pointed us in the correct direction and we're much relieved.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Could be a low battery. LP alarms can also be triggered by off-gassing batteries, ammonia from a failed refrigerator cooling unit, and "off-gassing pets" in addition to leaking LP. I would air it out a bit, check the battery condition and levels, and then not be at all afraid to start it up.
Thank you also, i really appreciate the help. It was just the battery(s), not a major crisis. How are you enjoying full-timing? it's something we are dreaming about at this point...
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Keep in mind that these alarms do wear out just like smoke detectore do
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

This is a good point also. it had crossed our minds that these systems are old, and the batteries are original equipment.. We only made a short weekend trip in it right after we bought it a month ago and are planning a longer 2 week trip to the Ozarks in a couple weeks. We don't want any trouble on our trip if we can help it. We are getting it checked out tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the things to look for is your house battery disconnect switch. When you are not going to use your motor home for a while and it is not plugged in, turn it off. This disconnects small draw items like your lp detector, electric clocks, etc.

Paul
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help! We just replaced both batteries and hopefully the problem is solved. You all have been so much help and I was almost afraid to ask for fear of sounding, well like a newbie!!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineg View Post
I was almost afraid to ask for fear of sounding, well like a newbie!!
We were all "newbies" at one time.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please don't ever be afraid to ask.... Like Kix said we were all newbies at one time ! .... I only wish these forums were around when we got started...... And I'm still learning after 30 some years....