Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Maintenance free battery vs other types.

My RV can only fit one 12v group 27 battery. I would like to get the best battery I can possibly get. I checked Walmart and Interstate batteries and both have a similar warranty and a similar RC rating. Both are Maintenance free batteries. There is a huge price difference between them. Are Interstate batteries worth the extra cost?

Should I be looking at maintenance free batteries or something else? What brand is the best?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Are you talking about the coach battery or the chassis battery?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my 12 volt engine battery at Walmart.

It had a two year warranty and...guess what, there are Walmarts everywhere I go in the country, coast to coast.

If I do have a problem then a solution is close at hand.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For a chassis (engine) battery you need high CCA. As high as you can get within the size limitations of the compartment.
For House battery, to run the 12Volt electrical inside the RV you want a 'deep cycle' battery. You want Highest Amp hour rating for the compartment size. These are often called golf cart batteries and usually you use 2 - 6 Volt batteries. A deep cycle 12 volt is hard to find. A fairly good alternative is a Marine 12 volt. These Marine batteries are half way between a high output cranking battery and a Deep cycle battery. Maintenance free batteries are good for the Chassis battery. I actually prefer a Low Maintenance battery. You need to check the electrolyte once a month in a low maintenance battery as opposed to the maitenance free that you do not check the electrolyte at all. Deep cycle batteries are generally not maitenance free or even low maintenance. Deep cycle batteries need the electrolyte lever checked at least every two weeks in normal use. In heavy use Deep Cycle Batteries can loose up to 2 oz. of water per cell per week. Make sure to only use distilled water for refill, and never refill with electrolyte. I am not up to speed with the new AGM batteries so I'll leave that to someone with more knowledge of those type batteries.
I hope this helps some.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #5

This is for the house battery. I can't seem to find a 12v true deep cycle battery. All I seem to find are the maintenance free marine batteries. Where can I get a true 12v deep cycle battery?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
This is for the house battery. I can't seem to find a 12v true deep cycle battery. All I seem to find are the maintenance free marine batteries. Where can I get a true 12v deep cycle battery?
The short answer is: You probably won't.

Just be glad you can get a group 27 battery in yours. I can only fit a group 24 in mine and even it's a tight squeeze.

I just went through this a few months ago so I feel your pain. I finally had to settle for a good quality marine type battery. If you're wondering, I ended up with a Deka brand.
The good news for me is, I ended up with a cosmetic blem for like 30 bucks with the same warranty. So I don't see how I can lose there.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
The short answer is: You probably won't.

Just be glad you can get a group 27 battery in yours. I can only fit a group 24 in mine and even it's a tight squeeze.

I just went through this a few months ago so I feel your pain. I finally had to settle for a good quality marine type battery. If you're wondering, I ended up with a Deka brand.
The good news for me is, I ended up with a cosmetic blem for like 30 bucks with the same warranty. So I don't see how I can lose there.
Deka is what I have now. It only has a RC of 150. I am going to try and shoe horn a group 29 in. My battery location is almost impossible to get to. I guess it's for the best that I get a maintenance free battery. Adding water to a battery on my RV would not be fun.

I checked everything out on this motor home before buying but failed to look at the battery situation. My travel trailer had space for two batteries I just assumed the motor home would as well.

I appreciate all the responses. I think I have decided to try and shoe horn an Interstate Pro-29M into the battery compartment. I don't know if they are any better than anyone else but i do know they are nearby and have a good warranty. They just replaced a 2 year old battery that went dead and I think it was the cars fault.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

Walmart makes a Group 29 Maxx Deep Cycle that is almost exactly the size of Group 27. It comes with a two year replacement warranty. $89-99. Make sure it says 29DC and pick the freshest from the bunch. I have Walmart batteries in everything and have never had a problem and gotten great service from them.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

The Walmart trolling battery is a deep cycle. I'm not a fan of maintenance free batteries for deep cycle use.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
Hi,

The Walmart trolling battery is a deep cycle. I'm not a fan of maintenance free batteries for deep cycle use.
What 12v deep cycle would you recommend?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Napa makes 12V. deep cycle ones, I believe Interstate does as well. I have Napas in my rig (group 24) lead acid ones in mine- working on 6 years old.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

I would try two 6 volt 's even if you half to wire one of them in a different place I have 4,,6 volt batteries all in a different place just costs a little wire and a little work of course I have two large solar panels that I love.good luck
Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I have two 6 volt batteries that need to be replaced. I am not familiar with buying 6 volt batteries and the verbiage that goes with them. In an RV are golf cart batteries appropriate? Is there some other name for the correct replacement for RV batteries other than "RV batteries"? How many different types of 6 volt batteries are there?
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

A non maintenance free with filler caps. I do have Walmart Max, but would replace with trolling batteries *if* they have filler caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
What 12v deep cycle would you recommend?

Tags
battery, maintenance