Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Manual Slide Retraction?

I have recently purchased a pre-owned 2007 31 foot Four Winds Class C Motorhome 31P and I am trying to locate the Slide Out motor /jack screw in case I might have to retract the Slide Out back into the motorhome manually. The owners manual (chapter 6 on Slide Out operation) directs you with real general terms that the location of the motor is under the jackknife couch or someplace like that, very vague instructions and I mean vague. I contacted Thor Industries and their response was to look in "chaper 6 of the Owners manual". Well I have looked and I can't find any motor access or motor. How bout it veterans of these Class C Motorhomes...can anyone lend me a helping hand? Just a hint on where I should look, tear apart etc. I cannot believe Four Winds didn't apply a decal somewhere giving location of motor with basic instructions on manual retraction. I look forward to any help from you pros.Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

They aren't the only ones to neglect that. Each make and model of RV will probably differ, but usually the motor can be seen on the end of a long shaft that goes between the two gear racks that you see from underneath. That's assuming a rack & pinion gear mechanism - there are also cable driven systems, hydraulic systems, and jack screw systems. The rack & pinion is most common, though.

Hopefully another owner of that vintage Four Winds can give you some help.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I it's hydraulic, the motor can be anywhere. (driver's side, basement compartment?) It looks like a starter motor attached to a hydraulic valve box and a sump box. It's fairly noticeable.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Manual Slide Retraction

Thanks for the 2 responses so far except "no help". I have looked for the motor and jack shaft but can't find it. As for hydraulic...nope, the manual even shows a picture of an electric motor and the use of a ratchet to crank it in. But where is it. There must be someone out there with a similar M/H. Help please!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

I have a travel trailer with that type of set up. I have a flexible shaft u insert in the end of the motor and use a drill or ratchet to move it manually. My motor is located under the couch which is in the slide out. Not sure if this helps or not since u have a "C"
Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I found this instruction and picture of the crank and ratchet in a Thor operators Manual, for the 2007 C 31P, but it does not say where to find them. It looks like it has to be visible from under the unit in the middle of the slide, but they say it can be accessed from inside under the couch, possibly through an access cover in the floor??? Have you looked under the couch that is on the opposite side from the slide? Hopefully the picture is worth a thousand words to you. I'm having trouble getting the picture to show, so I will include the link to the manual... (see page 72) http://thormotorcoach.com/image/data...ers-Manual.pdf
Make sure coach disconnect is off and clear any obstruction in the slide out area.
Locate the electric motor and gear drive assembly. This may be under a couch, bed,
etc. You may also have to remove an access panel if applicable.
Depending on the slide mechanism, either a 9/16” or 5/8” wrench will be needed.
Rotate the manual override shaft enough to see if it will need to be rotated clockwise or
counterclockwise to retract the slide room.
Rotate the shaft until the room is retracted fully.
The system should be repaired before using again.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

Manual Slide Retraction

My owners manual states the same as you posted. My couch is on the slide out wall. I have looked under it (couch is a Jack Knife style) and it is carpeted all the way to the wall however there are several caps/plugs of some type in the carpet (about 1 inch round). Guess I will see if they are anchoring the carpet to the floor over an access panel and maybe removal will allow the carpet to fold back. If not I will keep investigating everywhere under and in until I locate the motor drive. Thank You for your input.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I can't see the access being under the slide side couch, because the hole would have to slide out with the slide, which would block access. But it may be possible. Those carpet fasteners could be your clue.
From that picture I would say that it is under the chassis on the opposite side from the slide, and likely in the center of the slide area. It should be quite visable under the chassis, as in the picture you can see the ground when looking down at it, and the ratchet is being operated from the opposite side.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I found some more info that could be pertinent. On pg. 71 of your man. it says refer to Lippert systems man. Here, on pg. 6 but in general I guess;
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...nentManual.pdf Hope it helps
Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

It's too bad makers of RV's don't offer a way to hand crank in a slide in an emergency.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my old travel trailer there was a hole just below the door that you could use a hand crank or drill. In my "new" MH I have a lever in the storage compartment next to the motor. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
It's too bad makers of RV's don't offer a way to hand crank in a slide in an emergency.

Mine does and it takes 2 people to do this one on each drive motor.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Mine does and it takes 2 people to do this one on each drive motor.

Hmmm? Does that mean you have two cranks? I've never had a problem with our slides. But I wish I had a way of cranking them in if I did.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I have 2 cranks and 2 motors on the bottom of the slide.

Tags
manual, slide