Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500

This is our second Winnabago View with the Mercedes engine, and we love the motorhome. But we have had 3 problems with the anti lock brake system. Each time it goes in for service it costs us about $1,000. Has anyone else had this problem? This unit is a 2013 with 33 ,000 miles. The next Úne will be new as we are sold on the View model. But I am going to think twice about getting another Mercedes product.
Happy camping. Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Forness View Post
This is our second Winnabago View with the Mercedes engine, and we love the motorhome. But we have had 3 problems with the anti lock brake system. Each time it goes in for service it costs us about $1,000. Has anyone else had this problem? This unit is a 2013 with 33 ,000 miles. The next Úne will be new as we are sold on the View model. But I am going to think twice about getting another Mercedes product.
Happy camping. Rick
What are they doing to service the ABS for $1,000??

Many times all that causes a ABS light to come on is for a ABS wheel speed sensor to be covered in Magnetic Dust. Do they list a sensor cleaning? The sensors are usually just a magnetic switch.

I really like the looks and quality of the View product.
(I've seen them up close as I work part time at a RV/Camping dealership.)
I don't think much of the Mercedes platform.
They are Not the quality workmanship they were in the 70s and early 80s.

I remember United Parcel Service bought them when they came out, and they couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've had 2 Views (and 08 and an 07) and a 05 Sprinter 2500 van. Never have had a problem with ABS on any of them, but the 08 needed new rear brakes at around 40k miles, and the 07 needed new front brake pads when I bought it at 32k miles.

All in all, I think the Sprinter chassis is pretty reliable and bomb-proof, especially the original i5 (which isn't burdened by the current emissions controls and extra electronic sensors). But new RVs of any kind come off the line with various issues big and small that need to be remedied, so a good warranty is helpful for this timeframe. Once the initial bugs are worked out, though, your View & Sprinter should be pretty easy to care for with proper routine maintenance.

Lynne
WinnieViews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
What are they doing to service the ABS for $1,000??

Many times all that causes a ABS light to come on is for a ABS wheel speed sensor to be covered in Magnetic Dust. Do they list a sensor cleaning? The sensors are usually just a magnetic switch.

I really like the looks and quality of the View product.
(I've seen them up close as I work part time at a RV/Camping dealership.)
I don't think much of the Mercedes platform.
They are Not the quality workmanship they were in the 70s and early 80s.

I remember United Parcel Service bought them when they came out, and they couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
If the wheel speed sensor has been cleaned or replaced you should consider learning how to do it yourself. It isn't a big deal to replace it doesn't take a master mechanic. The biggest job is removing the wheels, second is having the sensor on hand to change.

I can't remember where I read but one fleet buys spares because of the difficulty of getting them when they need them.
They don't have any worse repair record than any other.

UPS still uses the Sprinters here in Alaska.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

They replaced a rear wheel sensor. Pitched a very loud fit and got the bill reduced to around 400.00 I went there because they are certified MB techs. Never again. MB was very helpful after I called they contacted the shop this also helped with the bill. I expect to pay for certified techs but this one was out of line. Have found another shop already if I need it. Thanks for your help. Rick