Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mercedes diesel or Ford Transit

We are looking at Class C, some with Mercedes 3.0 and others with Ford 3.2 diesels. These are on Winnabego View and Thor Orion. Has anyone has expierance with either engine-- as far as power thru mountains areas? I am a diy, for maintanace issues, and there are more Ford dealers than Mercedes throughout U.S. Is the difference in fuel prices worth the diesel engines?

Also is the 26ft Navion or Forest River sunseekers spacious enough -- long term?
Appreciate any info and hope to see you On the Road. Dealers aren't very knowledgeable about either? Thanks again.
Brnwaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #2

First of all make your decision on which floor plan you like the best...

We have the MB 3.0 Diesel and love it for power and overall performance. Doesn’t sound like a Diesel. Average around 15mpg. Oil change once a year at MB dealership for around $150.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Floor plan is most important.
We had the MBS on our Isata3 and loved it. Plenty of power in the Rockies even with our toad.
We DID fine it a bit small after a 4 month trip in in and so it is sold and waiting on delivery of a new Class A
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can compare the two Winnebago C class motorhomes (View/Navion and the Fuse) if you want to compare diesel power. Personally, I'd stay away from Thor.

A key measurement OCCC, should be your real comparison point. This is the occupied carrying capacity and should be on the door post. Anything less than 1000 lbs, and you are going to be overweight without trying too hard.

We drove our Navion all over the place last summer - plains, mountains, and everything in between - while towing our Honda Fit. No issues climbing mountains or descending mountains.

Diesel is currently about 40 cents per gallon higher than regular in my area. However, I get 15 mpg towing vs. 7-9 mpg with the Ford V-10. Diesel maintenance will be higher, however.

Spacious enough. Good question but since I don't know how you plan to use the vehicle, I'm not sure how to answer. Me, wife, dog, and cat were traveling for 2.5 months last year and seemed to have survived just fine. But if you are planning to haul a couple of kids and the mother-in-law on an extended summer vacation, then look at Class A coaches.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

Good question ... we thought about the Ford V-10, but shied away for several reasons - 1) don't like the amount pf space taken up in the driver / passenger area but to V10, and 2) Mileage wasn't that great. Now people will argue that the cost of the MB diesel far exceeds amount of gas used by V10. While that may be true - I cant tell you how happy I am with the MB engine in our Sunseeker 2400R Sprinter! we traveled for abut a month last summer with the wife, myself and a small dog. Plenty of room for us and never got in each others way. We towed a Jeep JK and never had any issue pulling grades or performance. The layout is very important and the cargo capacity is something you need to look really hard at as each model will be different based on layout, type of slides, interior appointments, etc. Toad capacity is also somewhat different unit to unit. I think one of the bigger problems people run into with the Sprinter chassis based units is they do not really understand, or comply with weight limits. This is not a unit that you are going to throw 4 adults and everything that you ever wanted to take on vacation with you in. It is great for couples and pet(s), couples and a grandkid or two (young ones), couples or singles that want to travel with comfort, good handling, and ease of driving around town or parking lots in. Again, you really need to look at units and find the one layout that a best suits your needs. We looked at Forest River, Winnebago, and Isata (Forest River) and opted for the FR model.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Diane & Murray,
Thank You very much for the reply and the information. Take Care.
BWB & Cricket
Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank You momdoc for the info. I think Mercedes is for Us. We just hope that the 25-26Ft. Won't be too small. Take Care and hope to see you on the Road.
BWB & Cricket
Old 04-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Roger & Mary. Please pass along any info, and we'll see You on the Road.
BWB & Cricket
Old 04-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thank You High Desert for the reply. The Sunseeker is one of our choices-- just not the Cab over. We would like the Rear Twins to King bed. Is your bathrm large enough? Did you have a 13K or 15K Ac and is it enough for Youall? Take Care.
BWB & Cricket
Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brnwaterbill View Post
Thank You High Desert for the reply. The Sunseeker is one of our choices-- just not the Cab over. We would like the Rear Twins to King bed. Is your bathrm large enough? Did you have a 13K or 15K Ac and is it enough for Youall? Take Care.
BWB & Cricket
There is definitely a pro and con to the cabover option. Some don't like it because of the aerodynamics and overall look. Without the C/O bunk, the cabinetry is nice, but minimal storage behind it. We like the cabover for the reason that large, bulky items can be stowed up there and not take up space from the few closets there are. The bathroom works fine for us. I am a good sized guy and have plenty of room in the shower. Do nit opt for the glass door as that is cumbersome and adds weight and takes away from overall cargo capacity carry. Our A/C is the standard 13.5 K BTU unit and does fine. We also have the camp option which adds a few features - most importunity is the Hellwig sway bar setup.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford