Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Mercedes View generator exhaust smell

Been looking into buying a New Winnebago View/Navion. Does anyone know about when running the generator that the exhaust smell gets inside or somehow you can smell it when boon docking. I have been hearing some chatter about that. Is it some concern or should I stay with the less expensive LP Genset.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHD View Post
Been looking into buying a New Winnebago View/Navion. Does anyone know about when running the generator that the exhaust smell gets inside or somehow you can smell it when boon docking. I have been hearing some chatter about that. Is it some concern or should I stay with the less expensive LP Genset.
I prefer diesel because that is the main fuel for the coach, instead of having to continually replenish the propane...
If the odor/fumes are an issue all it takes is to adapt a GenTuri to fit the smaller exhaust pipe and vent above the roof line.

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If the wind is blowing, the exhaust smell will be carried away from the motorhome. Since you can't rely on the wind, a GenTuri device is a much better investment if you are going to do a lot of boondocking where you need to run the generator.

IMHO a generator should always use the same fuel source as the engine. Propane is a wonderful fuel - for your frig, hot water heater, and your furnace.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never smelled Generator exhaust but my CO detector did. oh man did it.

I added a Gen-Turi and... Detector behaved after that (Well it did not alarm)

NOTE: different motor home but .. I suspect that will apply to ANY motor home that has an issue.

NOTE 2: I have had issues with a NEIGHBOR's generator when boondocking..

Note 3: at 55MPH that problem does not exist.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

I agree and yes this can apply to any RV with Generator. I never had an issue with other RV's I have owned. I was just wandering if it was just this type. I figure it would really not be a concern. I think my biggest concern is do I really need Diesel Generator and can I get away with the LP type. I am not going to be full timing it that much. Just a part-timer when I ever get in it and go. Daily trips and small fun things like that. My concern is how much LP will be takin from the heat, frig and stove. What's left. Do they run about the same.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHD View Post
My concern is how much LP will be takin from the heat, frig and stove. What's left. Do they run about the same.
The BTU's in a gallon of diesel is quite a bit more than what is available in a gallon of propane (or gasoline).
Compare the gallons of propane that you carry vs the gallons of diesel you carry.
BTW, @ a quarter tank of diesel the generator will shut off, preserving enough fuel to get to the filling station.
With the propane generator when you run out of fuel,, your beer gets warm You get hungry and the DW gets PO'd
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #7

Diesel generator is quite noisy, and only 3200 watts. LP unit is much quieter and 3600 watts. Onan has discontinued the diesel model, and are using up existing stocks. Might be worth it if seriously boondocking, but in doing the usual touring, campsites, occasional site with no power, then it probably is not worth the cost.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Onan has discontinued the diesel model, and are using up existing stocks.

Charles
Got any proof of that? The diesel Onan is made in Italy and is still in production as far as I know. It might not be for sale in the US but is supplied by the chassis builder.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Diesel generator is quite noisy, and only 3200 watts. LP unit is much quieter and 3600 watts. Onan has discontinued the diesel model, and are using up existing stocks. Might be worth it if seriously boondocking, but in doing the usual touring, campsites, occasional site with no power, then it probably is not worth the cost.

Charles
Exactly. You want the most watts at lowest cost. Especially if you are using it for intermittent duties. You also must consider Maintainence. LP burns clean & has no injector or pump or carb (gasoline) to funk up, crud up and let you down when you need it. And, not being rigged to the diesel tank, you have a totally independent source of power.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
With all the comments about noise levels, here is an interesting test by FitRV on various models. James Adinaro is a former aerospace engineer and seems to know a bit about testing variables.
For the record I love my diesel generator. I've had 4000 watt gas generator on another Winnie and diesel on my Navion. Once warmed up I don't sense any strong diesel smell running our diesel. Our exhaust exits out the back of our Navion and I don't spend alot of time back there.

TriGlider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Got any proof of that? The diesel Onan is made in Italy and is still in production as far as I know. It might not be for sale in the US but is supplied by the chassis builder.
Every link below shows or states that the QD3200 has been discontinued. It is worth noting that the spec sheet is still on the Cummins/Onan website, however in looking in the current RV Generator Handbook, on pages 5 and 6,

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

the QD3200 is not listed. The motor was made by Hatz, a German company. The motors are made various places in the EU.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...0/rv14358.html

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=58

https://www.coloradostandby.com/cumm...esel-generator

https://www.amazon.com/3-2KW-Cummins.../dp/B00DIM6R04

https://www.norwall.com/products/Cum...-3.2HDZAA-6508

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...48&postcount=2

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The problem with the data you presented is that it is all out of date. The latest I could find in your links was 2016. When I bought my Navion (a 2017 model on a 2016 Sprinter chassis) the QD3200 was readily available. Onan had a problem in 2014/2015 but it was confined to the control panel being used with the generator. Once that was replaced with the Onan panel, no more problems. Shipments resumed.

Don't forget, Cummins Power is a worldwide company and sell products into as many market niches as possible even if the main market isn't the USA.

And my generator was made in Italy, not Germany. Maybe Cummins replaced the manufacturer.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The problem with the data you presented is that it is all out of date. The latest I could find in your links was 2016. When I bought my Navion (a 2017 model on a 2016 Sprinter chassis) the QD3200 was readily available. Onan had a problem in 2014/2015 but it was confined to the control panel being used with the generator. Once that was replaced with the Onan panel, no more problems. Shipments resumed.

Don't forget, Cummins Power is a worldwide company and sell products into as many market niches as possible even if the main market isn't the USA.

And my generator was made in Italy, not Germany. Maybe Cummins replaced the manufacturer.
What's the maintenance like on the diesel, versus any other type you've owned? I've only had a 2.8kw gas version, and it was virtually maintenance free, if exercised regularly.
I have the propane model on order in our Navion, because I was concerned about limiting the generator use in situations where it was a long stretch between diesel refueling stops. I didn't want to share the smallish 26 gallon fuel tank between the engine and the generator.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The maintenance schedule is about the same. First oil change at 30 hours, every 100 or 200 hrs after that (not sure).

Sharing the generator with the engine is not a concern. Under full load, you are burning, at most, a half a gallon an hour. The way things are plumbed, your generator will stop well before you get to the bottom of the diesel tank.

I didn't want to share the propane tank between the generator (by far the largest user) and the frig and furnace. Propane is harder to find than diesel, BTW.

Tags
generator, smell