Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
mano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 227
Mice

How do you get rid of mice in the MH
__________________

__________________
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Never use rat poison. That sucker will die in the hardest to get to place and stink up the whole unit. Use mouse traps with cheese or peanut butter. The quickest way are the glue strips. Once they are stuck they cannot get loose.
__________________

__________________
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,804
I agree with trackman best invention ever made have use for years with peanut butter, place one under kitchen draws, bathroom,furnace, lower outside vent area of fridge, Gen compartment and one or two at your power cable entrance.
You can try to block every entrance hole but their small heads will squeeze thru the smallest crack.
If you do nothing they love certain colored wiring usually in a large harness.
Had a grand total one winter of 12 dead mices. During summer months its not to bad but don't be surprised if one falls at your feet while filling the gas tank, had it happen while traveling in Canada.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Never use rat poison. That sucker will die in the hardest to get to place and stink up the whole unit. Use mouse traps with cheese or peanut butter. The quickest way are the glue strips. Once they are stuck they cannot get loose.
I've been feeding mice with D-Con for 28 years, (no handling dead mice).
I've NEVER seen or smelled a body.

I have the little yellow wedge packs in many out of sight places.
Anywhere I found droppings or a sign of chewed wires or a nest...... under bottom cabinet drawers, in basement bins, above the ceiling, (through the speaker cutouts), in the engine compartment, etc.

My current coach had signs everywhere when I got it 13 years ago.
Initially I had to refill or replace empty packs every month or two.
Now I replace the packs with fresh ones once a year, (if I was a mouse I wouldn't want old poison). :-)
Using D-Con continuously my coach has been mouse free for 12 years.
Mel
'96 Sahara
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I've been feeding mice with D-Con for 28 years, (no handling dead mice).
I've NEVER seen or smelled a body.

I have the little yellow wedge packs in many out of sight places.
Anywhere I found droppings or a sign of chewed wires or a nest...... under bottom cabinet drawers, in basement bins, above the ceiling, (through the speaker cutouts), in the engine compartment, etc.

My current coach had signs everywhere when I got it 13 years ago.
Initially I had to refill or replace empty packs every month or two.
Now I replace the packs with fresh ones once a year, (if I was a mouse I wouldn't want old poison). :-)
Using D-Con continuously my coach has been mouse free for 12 years.
Mel
'96 Sahara
Had your nose checked lately? Ha Ha. Just kidding. You will be in a very select group and very lucky for your experience with poison.
__________________
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 120
We share 5 acres with every rodent I can think of and the old fashioned spring loaded mouse trap with peanut butter works good. If he/she gets away tonight I will get him/her tomorrow night.
__________________
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naples, Fl.
Posts: 1,303
Although this was written for structures it easily adaptable RV. The principles are the same.
This article was written by a well recognized authority on pests:


ENY-243/MG218: Non-Chemical Rodent Control
__________________
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
RVM 18
 
okmunky's Avatar


 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fulltimer, SD resident
Posts: 7,269
I have heard that light will deter mice and rats and that a string of rope lights under your RV will keep them away. I hope so, I just ordered a set of LED rope lights from Amazon.
__________________
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F, 2012 Smart Car toad FMCA #F466348
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I have heard that light will deter mice and rats and that a string of rope lights under your RV will keep them away. I hope so, I just ordered a set of LED rope lights from Amazon.
I have also heard that light will deter PACK RATS, but I'm not sure that is true.
As for MICE, I doubt that lights have any value, (other than help them see better).

To eliminate mice... oil of peppermint and/or dryer sheets "maybe".... D-Con for sure!
If you want to see the bodies.... use old fashion spring traps.
If you want to save their little lives, (or if you enjoy killing them yourself).... use live traps or sticky traps.
Mel
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,464
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I have heard that light will deter mice and rats and that a string of rope lights under your RV will keep them away. I hope so, I just ordered a set of LED rope lights from Amazon.
OMG!
You have rope lights now.
Does Sena play with them?
Davs
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
I totally agree with Mel on this one. I always use the small yellow wedges of D-Con Mouse Bait and Killer. AND, I have NEVER had to handle one dead carcas or deal with any aroma from a dead mouse.

The bait will kill those little pests from the inside out. They basically dehydrate inside and wither up. What happens is after they fill themselves up with the D-Con, they leave to seek out a water source. They don't hang around to mess up your coach.

I am currently living in a wilderness park and I recently had to renew my bait after seeing signs of a mouse invasion.

I went through about 6 boxes of bait. Within a few days the bait boxes were never touched so I knew the mice were now gone. Once the bait did its thing, I used steel wool to plug up both the water and sewer openings in my service bay.

No more mice!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naples, Fl.
Posts: 1,303
The following tips are from a retired veteran of the pest control wars. I have 28 years of experience as a commercial Pest control operator. As a fellow camper and traveler, I offer this advice:
I assume that you have correctly identified the problem as mice versus rats and want to use snap traps. Both are rodents but trapping techniques are different. There are many other methods of controlling mice, but each one draw backs.
Preparing the trap:
1. Wrap the trigger with cotton string, covering the trigger with one layer of string.
2. Force the peanut butter into the string.
3. Don’t leave a lot of “loose” peanut butter above the surface of the string. This will prevent the mouse from licking the trigger and getting the peanut butter without the trap snapping.
Placing the traps:
1. Place the traps with the trigger towards the wall or other vertical surface, allowing about ¼ inch clearance from the end of the trap. This insures that the trigger bar will clear the wall and close properly. This is where most rodents will run. They feel secure when the guard hairs on their bodies are touching something when they run.
2. Use traps in side by side banks of two or three. Mice will often “bounce” when running and can clear just one trap. The second one will get them.
3. Change the environment around. Reposition any moveable items in the room. The mice are so territorial that they must come out and check out the new things including the traps. Sometimes they will do this as soon as you leave the room!
4. Reuse the traps over and over. No washing is needed. Mice live with man so they are well used to your body scents. If you must clean, just rinse with clear water and dry.

If you wish to use alternative method here is link written by one of the leading authorities in the field:
ENY-243/MG218: Non-Chemical Rodent Control

__________________
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
RVM 18
 
okmunky's Avatar


 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fulltimer, SD resident
Posts: 7,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
OMG!
You have rope lights now.
Does Sena play with them?
Davs
They have not yet arrived, but I doubt (hope) she'll mess with them. She doesn't spend much time on the ground. And Dave, mums the word about this to the other mutants. I'd like to be able to report some success when I break the news.
__________________
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F, 2012 Smart Car toad FMCA #F466348
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
The following tips are from a retired veteran of the pest control wars. I have 28 years of experience as a commercial Pest control operator. As a fellow camper and traveler, I offer this advice:
I assume that you have correctly identified the problem as mice versus rats and want to use snap traps. Both are rodents but trapping techniques are different. There are many other methods of controlling mice, but each one draw backs.
Preparing the trap:
1. Wrap the trigger with cotton string, covering the trigger with one layer of string.
2. Force the peanut butter into the string.
3. Don’t leave a lot of “loose” peanut butter above the surface of the string. This will prevent the mouse from licking the trigger and getting the peanut butter without the trap snapping.
Placing the traps:
1. Place the traps with the trigger towards the wall or other vertical surface, allowing about ¼ inch clearance from the end of the trap. This insures that the trigger bar will clear the wall and close properly. This is where most rodents will run. They feel secure when the guard hairs on their bodies are touching something when they run.
2. Use traps in side by side banks of two or three. Mice will often “bounce” when running and can clear just one trap. The second one will get them.
3. Change the environment around. Reposition any moveable items in the room. The mice are so territorial that they must come out and check out the new things including the traps. Sometimes they will do this as soon as you leave the room!
4. Reuse the traps over and over. No washing is needed. Mice live with man so they are well used to your body scents. If you must clean, just rinse with clear water and dry.

If you wish to use alternative method here is link written by one of the leading authorities in the field:
ENY-243/MG218: Non-Chemical Rodent Control


what does it say, i could not download? thanks
__________________

__________________
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.