Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Mileage

Class c

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

Is 40 k miles alot 2008 motorhome and is their
Manuals or something I can read to learn about
Class c motor I know nothing. Like do refrigerator run when driving , air condition etc

Old 07-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
40k is not a lot of miles. Better to have usage than to have set unused and neglected. Got service records?

Yes to running refrigerator on propane while driving. Yes to running house air conditioning while driving, if you have a generator to provide the power.

Age of tires? They age out before they wear out. Age and condition of house and chassis batteries? Negotiate purchase price accordingly and be prepared to replace right away if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the info
I know you seasoned guys may think this seems silly
But I know anything of the mechanics of RVs
I like them a lot.
I'm going to a local dealer near me to look through them but I feel really vulnerable because I don't know anything about class c RVs
Old 07-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not silly at all. Everyone experienced was new at one time. The search feature can be a big help. Likely your questions have been discussed previously. But, just ask away.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
Thanks for the info
I know you seasoned guys may think this seems silly
But I know anything of the mechanics of RVs
I like them a lot.
I'm going to a local dealer near me to look through them but I feel really vulnerable because I don't know anything about class c RVs
Not silly at all. Once I had no experience but had the money. I met a RV Salesman who had lots of experience. Now he has my money and I have the experience.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Their must be a book of experience rv people and there rv.
Like how much toilet flushes you can do or showers before you hook up to a sewage line in a rv park
Things like that.
I think about the generators , power output as units etc.
I want to learn as much as I can before I talk to
Dealers or private seller.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

If generator is 8 or 9 years old and tires need to be replace (6)
Anyone know cost
What about water storage tanks do they wear out ?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

There are a number of forums that have lots of helpful information if you spend enough time reading.

Many models have their own forums, such as the Winnebago View and Navion forums on Yahoo. So if you are looking at specific models, find their forums. Youtube is also invaluable for learning lots of stuff about RV's such as how various systems work, how to dump tanks, etc. I have literally spent hours and hours wading thru all of this.

Most RV dealers are BS artists just like car salesman. First big issue to look for in used or even new RV's is for roof leaks. Many new ones sit on the lots so long that they get leaks before you even buy them. Beyond leaks, you will find lots of issues with in every model and make, with quality of construction and design of the coach. I have encountered a number of things on my View that have left me wondering what the engineers were thinking when they designed it, and where the quality control was when it was built. They all have problems, some more than others.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Charles,
Thanks so much for you info. I didn't think of YouTube . thanks for alerting me to issues with certain manufactures . when I'm interested in a certain make and model I can research those issues
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Your smart for asking questions.

We didn't know much about RV's before purchasing our Class C but we learned fast. We got lucky and bought a new one which did have warranty, which we needed for the Ford Chassis.

Tires vary depending on size and brand. I would assume $250-300 each for the Class C chassis.

Each coach you look at will have different specs as far as holding tanks etc. A lot will depend on how you use the systems. When we are dry camping (no hookups) we are very conservative on water usage and can go a week without a problem. This took us a while to learn.

Keep asking questions and when you are more familiar with the various aspects of RV ownership you can start seriously looking.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
All good info so far, as in read and gain info as much as possible. Then get a good inspection from a independent person or company after you choose the one that fits YOUR needs. Cost $500 or under and can save $1000's, plus any I have been around will answer any questions you have on operation of the RV.

LEN
Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #13

Good advice olylen
I would definitely use a professional to inspect the rv to spot any serious costly problems.
I just finishes watching a YouTube video on water damage and what to look for. Very informative.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post

First big issue to look for in used or even new RV's is for roof leaks. Many new ones sit on the lots so long that they get leaks before you even buy them.

Charles
When we were looking for our first RV last year, we learned an important lesson - go shopping when it's raining

I can't tell you the number of RV's that we didn't even have to climb the stairs because of the water on the ceiling (and floor)