Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Mileage (not MPG) Question

I'm curious to know what kind of milage can be expected from the chassis that carry Class C MHs.

The question is: when shopping for a used Class C, how many it too many miles?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'd suggest a different approach. Rather than making a decision based on mileage, take a broad view and consider the overall condition of the coach. As an example, I have a four-year-old Ford Fusion with 90,000 miles on it. But it is in as good a shape as the day I got it (which is to say, pretty good).

Back to RVs ... With everything else than can go wrong -- inside the coach, under the hood, tires, awnings, slide outs, etc. -- I'd think the number of miles on the chassis would be a little further down on my list of priorities. Now, if the unit has been involved in a traffic accident and the frame is bent ... well, that's another story.

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

In addition to what was just posted, many people are buying former rentals with over 100,000 miles, and I don't recall any mentioning problems related to the mileage on the units.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #4

VAParrothead, this isn't something that is on the top of my list. But it Is on it. So I wrote a thread to get information specific to this topic. Threads are meant to be monolithic in subject (at least to start :-) ).

I guess what I'm asking is that: given at least a moderate level of maintenance, when do these types of engines/chassis get tired.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

I have a friend who travels extensively for work, and is an avid camper, and so bought a C (he already had an A for family camping) to travel & stay in for his work.

When I last spoke to him it had well over 300k miles (500k kilometers) on it and he said it was still not even to the point where he felt the engine was due for a rebuild.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Murf2u, thanks for your input. I wonder if that is the norm for these types of vehicles.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Unless the previous owners were close to full-timers, or the rig was in a rental fleet, high total mileage is unusual. I think ours is more typical, 12 years old, two owners from new, and just under 18,000 miles. We only used it for one long trip last season and haven't had a chance to use it at all this year so far, except as extra bedroom space for visitors while parked in the driveway!

We're seriously considering selling it shortly. It's hard to justify the expense of owning it when you don't get to use it.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

Thank you for your input Mr. Frank. This is helping me develop a mental if/then tree that will help evaluate RVs.

Thank you all.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We put about 14,000 miles on a 1977 Class C year before last. Traveled coast to coast across Canada from Vancouver Island to Glace Bay, Cape Breton and back and had zero problems with the unit. The old 400 CID Chevy motors were kinda bullet proof if you treated them properly. I had three oil changes done on the old girl while we were traveling about. If the engine and chassis are kept in good serviceable condition they last for a long time.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #10

My 2002 Fourwinds 5000 Chevy Big Block has 89000 miles on it. I expect at least 200,000 or more out of this engine. It has had Mobil one oil since new. I bought this used and have all the service records.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
Murf2u, thanks for your input. I wonder if that is the norm for these types of vehicles.

Bear in mind the underside of these things are basically a bone stock cube van (or pickup truck) chassis. There are untold numbers of these things in heavy commercial service everyday. They got most of the bugs worked out a long time ago.

My own personal rig purchased a few years back from a friend of my fathers is an older unit with WELL into 6 figures of mileage on it. If you only do say 10k a year, but keep the unit for 15 years, there's 150k.

IMHO I'd rather buy a unit with 100k on it than say 10k or 15k.

The one thing no chassis likes is to sit unused for long periods of time. Callipers get rusty and sticky, rubber bushings and seals get hard and dry, tires get flat spots and weak points in the belts, etc, etc, etc.

Maintenance and care is way more important than mileage.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #12

I'd worry less about miles, and more about age. The '86 Ford E150 I am converting to a camper has a little more than 60,000 miles on it, but being nearly thirty years old, it does have some rust issues. I knew this going in. Dad kept it outside in the weather, and it has seen some trips to the coast (salt air). So, when checking into buying an RV, crawl under if possible and check the frame, and anywhere on the body that water could collect.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
I'd worry less about miles, and more about age. The '86 Ford E150 I am converting to a camper has a little more than 60,000 miles on it, but being nearly thirty years old, it does have some rust issues. I knew this going in. Dad kept it outside in the weather, and it has seen some trips to the coast (salt air). So, when checking into buying an RV, crawl under if possible and check the frame, and anywhere on the body that water could collect.

Absolutely. Case in point: I was looking at a 2007 Coachmen Santera. Beautiful rig. Everything was perfect until I started crawling under the thing. Wood rot was more than evident as well as heavy rusting thru-out the frame. The previous owners did an amazing job keeping up with everything from the roof to the entrance steps. Then they hit a blind spot and Mother Nature did her thing.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a chance to buy a 2004 Georgetown 40' A. Only had 8,000 miles on it and could have picked it up for $25,000. It was absolutely beautiful and like new inside. The owner had back problems and it had been sitting for 8 years and was only used by his kids a couple of times. Underside was total rust. Would have had to have every piece of rubber, and all lines and wiring replaced underneath along with the bearings, seals, break system, etc. Even the frame had way too much rust.

Sitting kills them. Except in the dead of winter when there is salt on the roads here I make sure I drive mine at least once a week even if it's just to the store and back.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote