Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

Mini Class C questions.

We are considering one of the mini class C motor homes. We have had three Class B vans starting in 1983, then a Gulfstream DP (1994 Gulfstream Sunstream DXL) on a Spartan Chassis. At present we have a Keystone 32SAB TT pulled by a Ram 2500HD. Due to health concerns, we want to get back into motorized. Looking into something on a later model Sprinter Chassis (2017 up ) preferably new like a Winnie Vita 24P.

Questions are. 1.) Can the beds be extended? I am 6’3” 76 years old. 2.) How do the bed slides work and can a bolster be added to lengthen the mattress? Presently have a bolster in the TT. 3.) Where does one get service on the MB chassis. I have been doing all my maintenance/repair since ‘82. Can an owner do his own?
Thank you. This is my first post so please excuse any errors in protocol.
dcpowerglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #2

Updated Signature. Sold Yukon XL . Bought Ram after major Yukon XL failure (differential rusted out). Lost Abigail to Osteocarcinoma.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpowerglenn View Post
We are considering one of the mini class C motor homes. We have had three Class B vans starting in 1983, then a Gulfstream DP (1994 Gulfstream Sunstream DXL) on a Spartan Chassis. At present we have a Keystone 32SAB TT pulled by a Ram 2500HD. Due to health concerns, we want to get back into motorized. Looking into something on a later model Sprinter Chassis (2017 up ) preferably new like a Winnie Vita 24P.

Questions are. 1.) Can the beds be extended? I am 6’3” 76 years old. 2.) How do the bed slides work and can a bolster be added to lengthen the mattress? Presently have a bolster in the TT. 3.) Where does one get service on the MB chassis. I have been doing all my maintenance/repair since ‘82. Can an owner do his own?
Thank you. This is my first post so please excuse any errors in protocol.

Can't speak to questions 1) and 2), but I get my chassis serviced at the nearest MB dealership that's Sprinter capable. So far I've had "Service A" done which was a glorified oil change and general inspection, and it wasn't cheap. Apparently "Service B" is more detailed, involves replacing filters and adjusting chassis components, and much other stuff. It's also not cheap, as far as I know.

That all said, many folks do their own basics, and some say it's not that difficult to do. I'm under chassis warranty for a while, so I'm going to play by the rules, and get my service done until that ends. After that, who knows, maybe I'll do some basics as well.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

Im not sure if this is helpful, or not, but I am thinking the best option for the bed woo be a Murphy bed setup for that a bolster could be added to. With the split mattress designs on the rear and wall slides, not too are a bolster would fix your concern. Before you pull the trigger on a Sprinter, ask the selling dealer if they are authorized service centers for the MBS Chassis and f not, where is the closest one. Here in Central Oregon, it is a 3+ for drive to an authorized dealer. Also, if you are traveling, are sure you have a roadside assistance plan that will tow you to the closest authorized Sprinter repair facility, which cold be 300 to 500 miles away. Service at the dealer squires deep pockets. Schedule A service (basic) generally a grand or ore and Schedule B much, much more. We had a 2017 Sprinter, and now have a Class A. Also, 6'3" in a Sprinter gets a bit old.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Im not sure if this is helpful, or not, but I am thinking the best option for the bed woo be a Murphy bed setup for that a bolster could be added to. With the split mattress designs on the rear and wall slides, not too are a bolster would fix your concern. Before you pull the trigger on a Sprinter, ask the selling dealer if they are authorized service centers for the MBS Chassis and f not, where is the closest one. Here in Central Oregon, it is a 3+ for drive to an authorized dealer. Also, if you are traveling, are sure you have a roadside assistance plan that will tow you to the closest authorized Sprinter repair facility, which cold be 300 to 500 miles away. Service at the dealer squires deep pockets. Schedule A service (basic) generally a grand or ore and Schedule B much, much more. We had a 2017 Sprinter, and now have a Class A. Also, 6'3" in a Sprinter gets a bit old.

Good thoughts on Sprinter based motorhomes.

Some follow up comments.....

- I would never let a "selling dealer", aka an RV dealer, do chassis work on my Navion.

- Good Sam ERS apparently has instructions to tow any Sprinter based motorhome to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealer that is qualified to do Sprinter work, although I haven't had to test that information.

- Service at the MB dealers can be expensive depending on what you're there for, but that applies to all vehicle chassis brands. Depends on what you're having done. I paid just under C$400 for my Service A at a qualified Mercedes-Benz dealer. These things use a significant amount (about 12 liters/quarts) of special grade (Euro-grade) synthetic oil that drives that higher cost for an oil change. However, it's only done every 20,000 miles or so. Service B is more complex and is more expensive than Service A. I have yet to do that one.

- My Navion/Sprinter coach/chassis combo gets 15mpg at 60-65mph, and 13mpg when towing my JKU. My Sunstar couldn't give me half of that fuel economy, downhill, with a tail wind, and it had the newer V10/6 speed transmission combo. It's a trade off against many other variables, but diesel is only a few cents per liter higher or lower here, so it does make a difference in the bank account. The old "diesel is so much more expensive than gas" V10 justification argument no longer applies in most jurisdictions, side by side at the pumps. Based on a 2 to 1 fuel economy differential.

- I'm 5'8", so I fit comfortably in a Navion. Depending on your personal morphology, this may be an issue for you.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

Freightliner service centers can do your scheduled maintenance on the Sprinters. They are authorized by MB. Major repairs may be another matter.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
Freightliner service centers can do your scheduled maintenance on the Sprinters. They are authorized by MB. Major repairs may be another matter.

Not necessarily.

I wanted to get an oil change in Albuquerque last October at the Freightliner location on the north side of I-40 just west of the city, and was told they don't do MB service. Didn't have the diagnostic tools or some such nonsense. They wouldn't change my oil. They had all sorts of DPs in their service bays at the time.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 AM   #8

LTV Wonder Murphy Bed might work for you. Look at their YouTube channel. Their spokesman(Dean) is about your height and explains how all their models work with taller folks. Wish we could have gotten the Wonder but seat belts for only two (sorry grandkids) and lesser tow rating was a killer but the Ford Transit chassis is very good and a fraction the cost to maintain. We bought a Serenity on the new 2019 MB chassis and I love the features but will be grumbling when it comes time for Service B.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #9

1. As to the first question on adding a bed bolster to lengthen bed check to see how the bed on the slide is set up, what's under the platform & would you be interfering with anything mechanical. Also, measure current "walk-around" space, putting an extension at the foot of the platform could force one person to have to climb over the other to get out of bed. (On Vita P floor plan)
2. Another thing to check into is the Cargo Capacity of anything on a Mercedes chassis. Many are weight challenged.
3. Since you're looking at a new coach, when under warranty going to Mercedes for service keeps exact records that may come in handy. Agree, service A & B not inexpensive.
4. Mercedes SPRINTER Service Centers are non-existent in @10 States. Where you live & where you frequently travel to in relation to service should be taken into account.
5. If you're an avid DIY'er, check into cost of parts, the usual service items, as well as availability. (When a carrier bearing failed at very low mileage, we were only able to find "should fit" not oem. Mercedes' "fix" was to replace the entire drive-shaft, apparently they don't believe in simply replacing bearings & you can imagine the bill.)
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #10

The GCWR of the Transit chassis is a killer for us also if we decide to tow our ‘08 CRV from the DP days. CRV still has aux. brake setup.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
The GCWR of the Transit chassis is a killer for us also if we decide to tow our ‘08 CRV from the DP days. CRV still has aux. brake setup.
The GCWR spec on my fully loaded Transit chassis Winnebago Fuse would allow me to pull a 3500 pound car.....which is the curb weight of the 2008 CRV. Our Fuse certainly pulls a 3000 pound car with ease....
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #12

Thanks to all of you for the good info. Does anyone have an idea what the CCC or OCCC ratings (ballpark) are for the MB chassis based units. I realize that will vary somewhat due to the mfg’r and models. For some reason I haven’t found much info on the web. Might be looking in the wrong place.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for the good info. Does anyone have an idea what the CCC or OCCC ratings (ballpark) are for the MB chassis based units. I realize that will vary somewhat due to the mfg’r and models. For some reason I haven’t found much info on the web. Might be looking in the wrong place.
When we looked at 2018 models of the Winnebago View, the Isata 3, Tiffin Wayfarer, and Forest Rivers Sunseeker, the OCCC ratings were all over...from as low as 740 to a high of around 1200, so it will depend and various make and models.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #14

Mini Class C questions.

My 2017 Isata 3 has a CCC of 943 lbs. It takes some planning, but we take our grandson with my wife and I and stay under 11,030 lbs. It is definitely better for couples and would not work for larger families.

It’s a trade off for maneuverability and a compact RV you can get into smaller camping spots.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c