Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Minnie bunk rebuild

Well I faced the fact that I have a leak even if I can't find it. I decided to remove the bunk header panels during a heavy rain to try to find the leak that was causing my bunk decking to get soft. No leaks from the roof area! That's good I guess. Figured out that the water was running down the walls on the outside as it should the getting behind the corner trim that wraps the bunk. It pools inside the trim then wicks into the bunk deck plywood like a sponge!! I have been to many RV shows and every Minnie has the same issue, soft bunk deck. If its a early 2000 model bunk or entertainment center, you probably have the same leak. After tearing into it I found it to be much worse then I thought. The butyl tape they put behind the trim fails letting water in. Once the wood starts to rot it absorbs more and more water. I had mold and rot so bad that anything I do to fix it is better than ignoring it. So, I have remove the entire decking and will post photos to help the next guy who can't afford the $4000. The RV shop wants to fix it. Besides, I have seen the work that comes out of some of the biggist shops in Florida. Not impressed! Need to figure out how to attach more then one photobanghead:.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	31488  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Here is the bunk deck after I removed it.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	117
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	31580  

Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

I discovered the water was also getting in under the corner trim along the radius of the outside bunk. It caused delamination on the wall. I'm going to repair it with fiberglass resin and seal it right.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	121
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	31581  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

This is how bad the rot was
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	131
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	31582  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
same issue here. still at the "remove big chunks of wood and scrape the back of the Filon" stage. we have the combination entertainment center/pull-out single bed model. removal took a few hours. then all the edge trim. i have the forward piece of wood out. i need to get the rear piece (with the cutout) out. then make replacements and coat them with resin. then pull the side windows and marker lights and look for damage. then fix those areas up and install the new wood. it's just one small step after another. no rush.

btw, it will be going back together with eternabond tape along all the edges, then the trim with butyl tape and stainless steel screws. everything will be gooped and/or taped.

have fun!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

deck rebuild

I did the exact same repair on a 98 Minni. I used Eternabond tape at all seams and penetrations. No leaks for the last 2 years. Good luck.
TW
Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

Went to a wood shop to special order a 4x10 x 1 inch thick plywood to replace the deck. Cost about $80. hardware stores only have 4x8x3/4. I found the filon skin for the outside of the bunk deck at factoryrvsurplus.com let u know how it goes .
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #8

I almost bought a 91 with the same issue, but a lot worse, The section had actually sagged enough that you could not open the pass door! Then upon closer inspection, found the entire area covered in black mold... passed.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #9

If your going to use any kind of fiberglass, use it with the west system epoxy you will not be sorry.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_coupe 34 View Post
If your going to use any kind of fiberglass, use it with the west system epoxy you will not be sorry.
Can u give me more info about the epoxy? I was going to apply the filon skin with contact cement.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassCnewbie View Post
Can u give me more info about the epoxy? I was going to apply the filon skin with contact cement.
Been a while but I think I used West Marine's G Flex epoxy kit - the West Marine store personnel are knowledgeable and should be able to guide you.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

Here is the new bunk ready for the filon to be applied. I veneered a sheet of 1/4" prefinished birch to the other side. So the inside will look good once installed. I also applied urethane to the edge of the plywood to prevent it from absorbing moister if it should leak ever again. Doubt a service center would have done that..
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	85
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	31922