Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Minnie Winnie Video & Battery and Charging Questions

I am 1 week into owning a 1989 Minnie Winnie. I sewed all new curtains and deep cleaned inside; see video. ��✌️��

YouTube interior video:

There is a switch near the driver that I was told to flip when charging; parked and plugged in or when driving. I was also told to have the switch off when I turn the ford motor over.

Is this true? I charge the 3 year old aux batteries for days, then unplug and the batteries are not staying charged overnight. Are these batteries bad? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Where should that switch be when I am off grid? Charging? Driving? Starting?

Lastly, I was told that I MUST store the charging chord in the stow away cabinet and there is a electrical socket in the stow away, and I must plug in but don't know why.....

I really appreciate your time!
Attached Files

Ripple2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Can't say for sure but Winnebago has some manuals from that year online . check out this link http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...anuals1989.php. It might be of some help.

I leave my house batteries connected all season and don't disconnect when starting my coach. Not sure why you would have to but lots of things change over time and the oldest rig I have experience with is a 2006. Good luck.

tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Sounds like the batteries are no good OR you have something drawing on them and taking the battery down overnight. The switch you are talking about could be a battery disconnect switch. It will cut the house battery off and will not allow power to the coach when off and when on you will operate as normal (charging and using electricity)

There could also be an emergency start switch located on the dash connecting the house battery with the chassis battery/

Get the batteries tested and make sure that there is nothing left on drawing it down. I occasionally forget to turn off the light in the basement or outside and find the battery low.

The video was good. Looks like it is in great shape and you did good on the curtains and such.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Jay & Jazz ~ Along The Way With J&J
1994 Tioga - Massachusetts
Follow Us! > Our Blog - YouTube - Twitter - FaceBook
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
The charging cord is stay plugged in to the socket in order for the generator to power up the rig. I made the mistake of not plugging it in turning on the generator and troubleshot for 30 minutes wondering why I didn't have any juice.
Semper Fi
Cruzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
The switch is a battery disconnect switch. It disconnects the batteries from the coach. It should be off any time you are not using battery power ie storage. There are some items that draw a small amount of power even when the switch is off. It should be on when plugged in and when traveling. Sounds like your batteries are bad. I would take them to a battery store to have them tested. Make sure the water is filled up with distilled water. You have no transfer switch so when you want to use the generator you plug in he cable to the receptacle in the compartment. I don't know why you would worry about the battery disconnect switch when starting since it is a completely a separate system. If you have a battery switch on the dash it allows you to temporarily connect the coach batteries with the starting battery in case the starting battery is to low to start the coach.
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:18 AM   #6
Thank you for your time and for some answers!

The manual helps out.

The manual says that if you start the car while the switch is on, it could damage the alternator.

I am going to attempt changing the batteries but it makes me nervous. Electricity makes me nervous.

The guys at the autozone said if I bought RV/marine batteries from them ($90/ea), they would swap them out.

Any thoughts on batteries from an auto parts store vs RV store?

Huge learning curve here! But, enjoying it

Ripple2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, charging