Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Moped-Scooter Option.

Has anyone have experience with a 2 person moped-scooter as an alternative to a toed? Wife drives a Sonata. and it is a little heavy to tow behind our Minnie Winnie. If anyone has experience; please tell us what works best for you.
Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
There are considerations to consider. Some States do not allow 2 people to ride a scooter on the streets.
Riding a scooter for long periods makes for parts of the body to go numb!
Going for errands, such as groceries becomes difficult, as there is no place to carry them.
They are quite often not seen (or ignored) by other drivers as they are looking for and expect to see automobiles and are easily missed.
They are uncomfortable to ride in the rain or at lower temps.
THEY ARE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH!
I have 4 years experience using one while we traveled aboard our Boat. WE carried it onboard and use a crane to swing the scooter onshore when it was needed.
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We pull a 10' x 6' cargo trailer loaded with two Vespa's. If it weren't so difficult posting images, I would attach one.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander View Post
Has anyone have experience with a 2 person moped-scooter as an alternative to a toed? Wife drives a Sonata. and it is a little heavy to tow behind our Minnie Winnie. If anyone has experience; please tell us what works best for you.
I have a Kymco GT300i scooter that I use. It is capable of 2 up and has a top case that carries what I need it to.

I know of no state that prohibits 2 up. And yes, there are concerns with safety and weather protection, but all in all, having a scooter works for me.

BTW, my scooters gets upwards of 70 miles to the gal, and my Duramax gets maybe 15 on a good day.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
There are considerations to consider. Some States do not allow 2 people to ride a scooter on the streets.
Riding a scooter for long periods makes for parts of the body to go numb!
Going for errands, such as groceries becomes difficult, as there is no place to carry them.
They are quite often not seen (or ignored) by other drivers as they are looking for and expect to see automobiles and are easily missed.
They are uncomfortable to ride in the rain or at lower temps.
THEY ARE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH!
I have 4 years experience using one while we traveled aboard our Boat. WE carried it onboard and use a crane to swing the scooter onshore when it was needed.
All that downside, and you still use one after 4 years? Amazing!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

IF you do go for scooter, I'd recommend a Honda Helix. It has a 250cc motor, which gives it better performance 2-up and there's a hinged "trunk lid" across the back which opens to a useful-sized, lockable compartment.

They haven't been made for a few years, but a couple of friends have them and think they're great.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

Take a look at the Suzuki Burgman 650. You can cruise all day with two up at highway speeds. Really want to splurge- BMW has a new scooter which is awesome. Of course the other makers (Yamaha, Honda) make quality scoots. Steer clear of the Chinese scoots which are mostly clones of Honda. I'm 66 and ride a vintage 1980 Vespa 200e. All my riding Vespa buddies are at least 20 years younger than me.
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
In most states you can ride a moped with your regular DL. Many states require a motorcycle endorsement based on HP or engine displacement.

Dave
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
I know of no state that prohibits 2 up. And yes, there are concerns with safety and weather protection, but all in all, having a scooter works for me.
Scooters I do not know much about Bicycles I do having done my research.

I suspect many of the rules and laws come fairly close.

One of them at least in some states is "one per seat" If your vehicle is DESIGNED for two (Daisy, Daisy Give me your answer do). Then it's legal to double up.

Else. one to a seat.

But I do not know what kind of seat is on that scooter, If it's a two person seat, the above both applies and makes no difference.. If it's a one person seat, It may or may not apply.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
All that downside, and you still use one after 4 years? Amazing!
No, I do not "still" use one. It did what I needed at the time but the negatives were there. It was impossible to carry a car aboard so the scooter did it's job but rather dangerously. Remember, the original post was talking moped/ scooter. Being able to drive at all street and highway speeds will change the mix a bit. Most mopeds will remain under 25MPH and the scooter we had would do maybe 40 with two on it and that would be downhill with a tailwind!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #11

The bigger scooters (250 or bigger) will go at highway speeds (not freeway speed, though). The really big ones (Suzuki Bergman and similar) are good for a top speed above 85 mph. They have big enough wheels to give decent road-holding characteristics.

My first powered vehicle was a `58 Vespa 150 Clubman, with 8" wheels. It was not renowned for its cornering capabilities! Before emigrating, 10 years later, I was being paid to ride Norton Commando motorcycles around the UK on test.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f250/brin...ed-174309.html

I tried the scooter option and found that it didn't work well for us. Just needed something for around the campgrounds, shows, and flea markets. Carrying the scooters prohibited us from pulling a toad and the scooters were not that useful for sightseeing.

I sold them and bought a Cricket couple weeks ago and it is the ideal situation for us. More carrying capacity, battery powered and can fit in the back of our toad, or on a carrier on the MH or toad. Weight is little over 300 lbs and carrier is about 30 lbs so works with Class III hitches.

http://www.ricksesv.com/models/cricket/

Be sure and watch the very informative video.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #13

This is how I carried mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_SilverCity_NM.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	45547  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #14

Hey, thanks to everyone responding to my request. Some great options to ponder. Will get back when we make up our mind.
Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scooter