Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Motor home extended warranties

We're buying a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV, new. What extended warranty would you suggest we purchase, and when?
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbetty View Post
We're buying a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV, new. What extended warranty would you suggest we purchase, and when?
You will likely get several comments about how great this or that warranty company is or how bad the other one is.

In case it might be useful to you, my experience is this. I have owned 3 brand new motorhomes since 1993. Only the first one, 1993 went back for a warranty replacement of a water tank after about 2 months of ownership (factory warranty not extended). The other two have never been back to the shop for any repair or warranty item. I do minor little adjustments and repairs myself so I don't need to drive it down and leave it for weeks for a minor warranty item. I have been lucky. However, buying brand new gives you that luxury of having new equipment and if anything goes wrong those things will likely rear their head easily within the first year under standard warranty. Drivetrain is usually under a 3 year warranty. Most house repairs that aren't picked up in a year can be fixed yourself. I have never needed or purchased an extended warranty. That said, I cannot guarantee you will not have some type of lemon on your hands that needs thousands of dollars of repairs. Some people never want to pick up a wrench and don't mind spending thousands on an extended warranty, more on deductibles when a repair needs to be done and weeks of downtime in the shop. I also understand the valid point of not having to worry about an unpredictable major repair cost.

Warranties can be great, don't get me wrong. Lucky for me, with 3 different RVs from 3 different manufacturers over the years I have never needed an extended warranty....knock on wood! Good luck.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #3

Personally, I wouldn't bother. At all. Toss a few bucks a month into an "RV Repair Fund" account, and use that money if it needs anything after the factory warranty expires. Get Emergency Roadside Assistance, instead.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

I've purchased several over the years and never used any of them. I would not buy another one. Winterbagoal has the best idea.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #5

Extended warranties are very profitable for the dealers and the warranty companies. Not so useful for the customer as they are loaded with legalise that exempts many issues. I would suggest you just bank the money younwould pay for the warranty and save it in case you need it. The odds are with YOU.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #6

Thumbs up

I agree with most, I usually don’t buy warranties. With that said, I just purchased a new tiffin class C. I will be buying the warranty just for piece of mind. This is the first year of this model and I wanted to make sure things are covered. Just me! Best of luck with the new rig!
stevenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

Bought my Class C from a dealer that provides a Lifetime Warranty on all 2017 and newer. The required annual checkup cost $138 if done during Oct- Feb. and doubles during prime months.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I'm not a fan of the extended warranties. But SWMBO insisted on it. I was rather surprised that she insisted but...

My dealer sprang that on us during the paperwork. I think the reason is so you don't have time to think about it.

In the mid 70's I worked for a fuel oil/furnace place and the owners required the furnace repairmen to push extended warranties and said how much they made on them.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:43 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bother. At all. Toss a few bucks a month into an "RV Repair Fund" account, and use that money if it needs anything after the factory warranty expires. Get Emergency Roadside Assistance, instead.

X2 [emoji115][emoji115]
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Here's a good example for you from my own experience, today. 2 years ago, bought a new Sprinter, got a 5 year extended warranty for just under $4K. Today, we bought a Tiffin class A motor home, so being the intelligent guy I am, I sad "let me look at the contract and how I can get the contract terminated and refund residual to me". Contract says it is refundable after being terminated by me and I would get a "prorated amount (less transaction fee) back IF I paid out of pocket for the warranty. If it was part of financing, it go back to whoever carried the note. So, things learned: 1) if you do decided to get a contract, which generally covers mostly coach parts, wait until the end of the 1st year of ownership - otherwise, you are paying for a year of coverage that is also covered (at no charge) by the manufacturer. 2) You can buy a warranty at about any time, within reason. 3) going forward, I do not plan to waste any more of my money on warranties. Hope this gives you some insight.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have owned three new rv’s. Two have been class C’s and we purchased extended warranties on both. Our 2013 Winnebago Aspect, we actually used it twice... no problem and no problem getting things repaired. Now have new Cambria purchased several months ago and again purchased one. Peace of mind. But read them carefully. In some states, the dealer can charge what they want for ext. warranties, and some states the state limits or fixes price.
Just one suggestion... please purchase a really good surge protector...we took advise of fellow rv’r years ago and have always purchased one for our rigs. During a very bad storm, lightening struck close by and our protector kicked in, but was fried... our rig was fine. Best $400 we ever spent.
Safe travels
Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
But SWMBO insisted on it.
had to google that, She Who Must Be Obeyed, ha ha (are you British ?)

no extended warranty here. but during my one year coverage with new RV I had a new refrigerator replaced and side out seals all no charge. now rolling the Dice...
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #13

Extended warranty is just an insurance policy. People pay thousands of dollars on insurance policies they never use, yet get their panties in a bunch when people buy warranties. If you like the coverage, then go for it. You may never use it, just like any other insurance policy.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't believe in extended warranties. There are people that have had them and had big repairs covered by them. The majority of owners don't have enough problems that warrant the high cost extended warranties. I put aside money to cover expenses of repairs and I am way ahead. When the time comes most will have enough saved to for a fabulous vacation somewhere. JMHO.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote