Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Smile Mounting Flat Screen

I am trying to mount a flatscreen tv on the wall of my MH and don't know if I've drilled into the frame of just the wall cover. I don't want to put a tv on the wall that isn't secure. Can anyone help me figure out if I have the mount in the correct place? I thought that the strip where there appears to be the wall covering coming together would be a frame stud, but it feels very soft. Any suggestions?

fcarr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Pull the panel off and look.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
If it feels soft it probably is. If you can pull the panel off yo can put a backing plate there and mount to that.

Also a lot of frames are based on studs on 16" centers. See if you can find one and mount it there. Remember that the mount on the back of the flat screen is usually 4 or 6 small fine thread machine screws. No doubt they are metric but I would think they are about a #6 in American size.

Question: What were you thinking of a plain wall mount or an articulated mount.
Quest 2: What about the cables and wiring, you going to go through the wall?
Together We Ranger and Jin

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Two suggestions:
1) Go to Home Depot and buy a stud finder. They are cheap and will find density difference in wall which should help find the wall studs if they are wood or metal.
2) If the wall is an exterior wall, look at the outside wall in morning when moisture is on exterior fiberglass panel, you typically can see the wall studs as they will not have moisture in the area they are positioned. Use a tape measure and measure on outside to a window or some other penetration and then mirror image measurement on inside wall.

Good luck, Jim
Jim & Karin
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
2007 Volkswagen EOS
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
I'm trying to mount an articulating arm mount. I bought a 1 x 12 last night and will try to install it to the wall from the window to the door and then mount the arm on it. I think that wi give me the stability I need to secure the tv. It won't be as pretty as I wod like but the Tv will hide most of it. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to find the inner wall studs. The covered luan junk they call walls will not support the TV. Stud finder is the key. Works on density, not on magnetism.
Good luck
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Okay. The cables will easily reroute to the tv through cabinets and the header over the door. Will have power installed same way.