Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moving Coach Battery

My wife and I just bought a 2011 Coachman Freelander 27QB and the coach batteries are located in the step. I don't like that location due to the limit on battery size/number and want to move them to another location.

Has anyone else with a Coachman done this?
What issues should I look out for?
Any gotchas?

I want to eventually put solar on the roof and replace the converter/charger with an inverter/charger.

I have 2 locations that I am considering, the large back exterior storage compartment or a side storage compartment next to where the batteries are now. I am leaning towards the back compartment since it would give me more flexibility. I am also going to replace the wet cell batteries with Lifeline AGM's

Thanks in advance

Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Our iRV2 Gallery & Family Photo's link
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two six volt batteries in the original under steps location. Wired in parallel to them is another pair in a storage compartment on the other side of the coach. To this added battery pair connected is my solar controller and whole coach inverter (shore cable, in adjacent compartment, plugs into the inverter).

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Moving Coach Battery

We have a 2013 28QB.
I am not sure, but would moving the batteries to the rear basement require larger cabling due to the increased length? Placing the batteries in the outside storage next to the step might minimize this issue.
Additionally, I would be concerned with exposing my large storage area to battery corrosion.
Also, since you want to install solar the back of the refrig might be a vertical route for cables. The existing battery location or next to it would likely make that routing shorter.
Just my thoughts.

Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 E4500 Chevrolet chassis
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply Paul

Cable size shouldn't be an issue since the batteries and inverter/charger would be in the same compartment. Just not sure how that ties into the 12 volt distribution panel which might need bigger wire to the batteries. The difference in distance isn't that greater from the 12 volt distribution to the current battery location compared to the new location (probable an additional 5-8 feet)

As for the back compartment, my plan was to replace the wet cell batteries with AGM's regardless of where I move them which would mean no worries on corrosion etc.

I am very familiar with Solar and batteries just not familiar with 12 volt RV wiring. From the battery to the 12 volt distribution panel is there anything in between?

Still exploring my RV and options.
Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Our iRV2 Gallery & Family Photo's link
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
AGM I believe can go anywhere. Inside outside upside down. I'm thinking of 6 under the bench on top of the pump. Enough to run the furnace all night durning hunting season
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote