Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Moving up----Comments

Hi all. New member here. Have been visiting this site for many months and appreciate all I have learned from all of you. We have owned several motorhomes ranging in size from 28' to 33' in the past but not in the last 20 years. We currently have a 1997 Coach House class "B" which we find not suitable for our needs. It's just too small. We are looking to upgrade to a Class "C". We like our space. We will use it for short weekend trips and one yearly trip from Florida to Michigan and back.

Now for the question: ....
I am looking at a 30', 1993 Rexhall "Aero". It has 32,000 miles on a Ford 350 chassis with the 460 engine. It runs very well and drives and handles like it is new. It is equipped with a tag axle with air bags with onboard compressor, HWH levelers, two new Coleman air conditioners, new Dometic refrigerator, new water pump, new fuel pump, new batteries, and I don't know what else. I am capable of doing most work or replacements on the coach (electrical, cosmetic, etc). I am also capable of light chassis repairs (shocks, brakes, etc).

I realize that at 17 years old, there will be some more items needing attention. I already plan on new tires to start. It needs a good bath and the stripes are in fair condition. The price seems fair to me.

The QUESTION I have is this. Am I crazy for buying a 17 year old M/H? Am I asking for trouble? Am I crazy to think that a unit of this vintage can or will be mechanically reliable? Any insight into the Rexall brand. Any knowledge of quality or problems? Is this a wood framed unit or aluminum?

What say you. Please give me any opinions, thoughts or facts that you may have. HELP me to either talk myself into or out of this unit.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Welcome Bob,

I don't want to be the one to sway you one way or another but here is what I think.

As long as you have some funds set aside for repairs you can save a great deal of money if you purchase an "older" MH. Ours isn't as old as what you are looking at but we did go from a brand new class C to a six year old A. No way could we swing the money for a new one like it. We did buy an extended warranty for at least the first year to protect ourselves from some catastrophic failure like engine or transmission. Not sure you can get one for a 17 year old so I would just put away enough to cover a disaster of that size.

Being able to do some repairs yourself will help too. If everything does work out think of the amount of fuel you can buy with the savings

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Ford 460 is a great engine. The one drawback is that it can pass anything but a gas station. My Ford pickup with a 460 gets 7mpg unloaded. My 34ft Itasca Meridian gets 8+.
One other consideration in this day day and age, Motorhomes are cheap right now, also I don't believe you can't get extended warranties after 10 years old. You should be able to cut a great deal on a much newer moterhome.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #4

I assume you have considered the cost of replacing the expendables. Such as batteries, tires, shocks, suspension system components, alignment, water pump, have you tried the refrigerator, furnace, A/C. These can make a bargain priced coach into a high priced boondogle.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Bob,

Just wanted to stop by and say WELCOME, glad you decided to join us.

When you do find your new rig, tell us about it an post photo's. Love photo's!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

It's home....

Thanks for the comments and wishes. I brought it home today. Three hour trip and all was good. Drives and handles like a new one. Really smooth. Now I need to spend some time learning all the ins and outs of a new M/H. It didn't come with any manuals but am finding them online. What did we do before the internet? I am hoping I can restore the exterior finish to an acceptable level. If not, sounds like a repaint job. I have done boats and cars before so a M/H should not be much different... only bigger and more paint. I will post pictures soon.

Bob
Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalter View Post
We currently have a 1997 Coach House class "B"

Now for the question: ....

The QUESTION I have is this. Am I crazy for buying a 17 year old M/H? Am I asking for trouble? Am I crazy to think that a unit of this vintage can or will be mechanically reliable? Any insight into the Rexall brand. Any knowledge of quality or problems? Is this a wood framed unit or aluminum?

Bob
myself, I'ld like to see the Class B, smaller is not always a bad thing, but too each their own. I currently have a 86 Class C, that I picked up two years ago.... older than what your looking at and wasn't running at the time..... and it was/is my first motorhome.

No clue about the Rexall brand, quality or problems... but the fact that you like it, it runs and handles well, some of the components have already been replaced and you think you can handle a lot of other repairs that might crop up... I'ld say, if the price is right... go for it.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
I am hoping I can restore the exterior finish to an acceptable level. If not, sounds like a repaint job. I have done boats and cars before so a M/H should not be much different... only bigger and more paint. I will post pictures soon.

Bob
as far as restoring the exterior... SteamPros Solutions makes a product called "First Step" for carpet cleaning... its a degreaser... works great on Aluminum and fiberglass, cleans up well, I've used it on my RV (after it sat for 5 years under a tree) a buddies boats.... also on you list of todos should be resealing, replacing the silicon on all the seams and trim.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #9

Bob,

Check out the Rexhall owners club index This is one of the chapters in the FMCA. I am a member of the Safari club, and there is a great website / forum for their Trek model. Lots of brand specific information and experiences, and I bet the Rexhall club is probably the same

Quote:
Thanks for the comments and wishes. I brought it home today. Three hour trip and all was good. Drives and handles like a new one. Really smooth. Now I need to spend some time learning all the ins and outs of a new M/H. It didn't come with any manuals but am finding them online. What did we do before the internet? I am hoping I can restore the exterior finish to an acceptable level. If not, sounds like a repaint job. I have done boats and cars before so a M/H should not be much different... only bigger and more paint. I will post pictures soon.

Bob
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #10

Thanks George. That is what I was looking for.

Bob